Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

On 13/08/2019 at 07:19, lazarus said:

If you are on a low income with a family £2 is expensive if you are in a family of four or five, it's looks as though you are working in a decent job so £2 isn't a big thing?

I'm not on miminum wage, but then I'm not on a huge salary either.

I commute on a daily basis so don't buy single tickets, I get a pass which is much better value. Kids resident in South Yorkshire get subsidised fares if they have a concessionary pass -flat fare of 80p single or weekly pass for any bus/tram in South Yorkshire for £8.50.

Buses have a certain cost to operate - buying the vehicles, maintaining and fueling them, employing drivers - then the costs of the depot and its staff plus customer service support. I would suggest generally in Sheffield ticket prices are very REASONABLE. Now whether you consider them AFFORDABLE is a whole different matter. Given that at the current fares the operators in Sheffield are making very little money, for them to be any cheaper would require public subsidy, which in the current climate of a government still imposing austerity is very unlikely.

back onto the subject of Sheffield network changes, here is a summary of routes that will see change from 1st September:

1a - Chapeltown-City-Herdings: replaced by new route 11

3/3a - Nether Edge-City-Meadowhall: withdrawn. Replaced by 56 at Nether Edge end and 95/95a at Meadowhall end

4/4a - City-Psalter Lane-Bents Green/Ringinglow/Millhouses: withdrawn. Route via Psalter Lane has 218 as alternative.  Ringinglow extensions covered by changes to 181.

5 - City-Grimethorpe-Firth Park: change of operator to Powells

6/6a - Millhouses-Carterknowle-Hunters Bar-Hallamshire Hospital-City-Darnall-Littledale/Manor Top; No longer cross City, Darnall side has change of operator to First.

7/7a - Crystal Peaks-Woodhouse-Manor Top-City-Neepsend-Wadsley Bridge-Ecclesfield: Changes to timetable

10/10a - Manor Top-Hallamshire Hospital inner circle: Change of operator to Powells and change to route to serve new housing developments. Timeable change.

11/11a - Herdings-City-Northern General Hospital-Chapeltown: new services replacing 1a and 56.

18/18a - City-Heeley Green-Meerbrook-Norton Lees-Gleadless Townend-Manor Top-Meadowhall-Shirecliffe-Hillsborough: route extension and new timetable. Replaces 38/38a.

19 - City-Heeley Green-Norton Lees-Woodseats-Chancet Wood: withdrawn.  Chancet Wood end of route replaced by 76a.

24 - Woodhouse-Manor Park-City-Heeley-Woodseats-Lowedges-Bradway: timetable change

25 - Woodhouse-Manor Park-City-Heeley-Woodseats-Lowedges-Bradway: timetable change. Evening service change of operator to First, withdrawal of evening service at Bradway side of town.

26/26a - Crystal Peaks-Kiveton Park circle: timetable change

31/31b - City-Upperthorpe-Walkley-Hillsborough-Loxley: Withdrawn. Parts of route replaced by 135, 135a and 52a.

32 - City-Fox Hill-Northern General Hospital-Firth Park: Change of operator to First and change of route.

35 - City-Fox Hill-Grenoside-Meadowhall: Withdrawn. Parts of route covered by 32, 135 or 135a.

35a - Chapeltown-Thorncliffe industrial estate: Change of operator to Powells, reduction in service.

36 - Sheffield-Grimesthorpe-Meadowhall: Evening and Sunday service withdrawn.

38/38a - Hillsborough-Shirecliffe-Firth Park-Meadowhall: Withdrawn.  Replaced by 18/18a. 

43/44 - Sheffield-Woodseats-Dronfield-Chesterfield: timetable changes

44 - Chapeltown-Thorpe Hesley-Rotherham: timetable and route changes

50 - Sheffield-Mosborough-Eckington-Chesterfield: reduction to evening and Sunday service

52a - Woodhouse-Handsworth-Darnall-City-Broomhill-Crookes-Hillsborough-Wisewood-Loxley: Some journeys extended to Loxley. Timetable change.

56 - Nether Edge-City-Wybourn: Timetable and route change, running from Nether Edges instead of Herdings.

57/57a - Sheffield-Hillsborough-Oughtibridge-Stocksbridge: Change of operator of evening service to First. 57a withdrawn.

58 - Hillsborough-Wadsley Park-Wharncliffe Side: new service replacing 268.

61/62 - Hillsborough-Bradfield circle: change of operator to Powells, change to route in Loxley area.

71 - Sheffield-Mosborough-Killamarsh-Norwood: Many early morning, evening and Sunday journeys withdrawn. Bus 50 provides alternative Mosborough-Sheffield and bus 70 provides alternative Killamarsh-Halfway tram terminus for connections.

73/74 -Crystal Peaks-Clowne: timetable change

73/74/74a - Sheffield-Waverley-Rotherham: timetable change

75 - Batemoor-Meadowhead-Woodseats-Abbeydale Rd-City-Shiregreen: timetable change

76/76a - Lowedges-Greenhill-(Chancet Wood)-Woodseats-Abbeydale Rd-City-Shiregreen: timetable change and introduction of 76a via Chancet Wood.

81/82 - Stannington-Hillsborough-City-Ecclesall-Millhouses/Dore: timetable change

83/83a/83b - Ecclesfield-Northern General Hospital-Pitsmoor-City-Hunters Bar-Bents Green/Fulwood: Timetable change including frequency reduction.

86 - Lowedges-Greenhill-Hutcliffe Wood-Millhouses-Abbeydale Road-City-Shalesmoor-Wadsley Bridge-Chapeltown: Change of operator evenings to First, withdrawal of evening service on Lowedges side of town.

95/95a - Walkley-Commonside-City-Pitsmoor-Northern General Hospital-Meadowhall: change of route in City Centre, extension to Meadowhall to replace 3/3a,

97/98 - Totley/Totley Brook-Abbeydale Road-City-Southey Green-Hillsborough: Change of timetable including daytime frequency reduction.

120 - Halfway-Crystal Peaks-Manor Top-City-Broomhill-Ranmoor-Fulwood: Timetable change

135/135a - City-Hillsborough-Grenoside-Chapeltown-Rotherham: Change of route City-Hillsborough, change of evening/Sunday operator to First, timetable changes.

181 - Dore-Ringinglow-University of Sheffield: Change of route to serve Ringinglow

201 - Stocksbridge-Chapeltown: change of operator to Powells

208 - Sheffield-Tinsley-Brinsworth-Dinnington: timetable and route change

218 - Sheffield-Psalter Lane-Ecclesall-Parkhead-Totley-Baslow-Bakewell: minor timetable change. Hulleys journey to run standard route.

268 - Hillsborough-Wadsley Park-Wharncliffe Side: withdrawn, replaced by 58.

271/272 - Sheffield-Hathersage-Bamford-Hope-Castleton: timetable change

M17 - Dore-Totley Brook-Bradway-Lowedges-Greenhill-Jordanthorpe: route change to serve Lowedges

M57 - Stocksbridge-Deepcar-Fox Valley: new Mondays only shoppers bus

M92 - Harley-Grenoside-Fox Hill: change of operator to Stagecoach. Route change.

X5 - Sheffield-Kiveton Park-Dinnington: timetable change

X6 - Sheffield-Handsworth-Waverley-Doncaster Airport: Revised timetable and route

X7 - Sheffield-Maltby: reduced to run peak times only

X54 - Sheffield-Harthill: timetable change

X55 - Sheffield-Dinnington: timetable change

X78 - Sheffield-Meadowhall-Rotherham-Conisborough-Doncaster: timetable change 

Also note following the summer rail replacement programme, all tram routes return to a normal service from 31st August. Tram routes are:

Yellow: Meadowhall-Carbrook-Attercliffe-City-Shalesmoor-Hillsborough-Middlewood

Blue: Halfway-Crystal Peaks-Birley Lane-Gleadless Townend-Manor Top-City-Shalesmoor-Hillsborough-Malin Bridge

Purple: Herdings Park-Gleadless Townend-Manor Top-City

Tram Train: Parkgate-Rotherham Central-Meadowhall South-Carbrook-Attercliffe-City

Buses SL1/SL1a Middlewood tram terminus-Stocksbridge also return to normal timetable and routes.

Some useful websites

https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com

http://www.supertram.com

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport-roads/public-transport/public-transport.aspx

http://www.sytravelmaster.com

http://www.gotimetable.com/sheffield

Edited by Andy C

On 11/08/2019 at 23:39, Andy C said:

Some cuts to evening services that arent obvious from the descriptions.

50% reduction in service to Lowedges and Bradway in the evening for example:

86 - will no longer run to Lowedges in the evening. Evening service will be operated by First and run Sheffield Interchange to Chapeltown. 

Hourly service 76 will still run to Lowedges in the evening. 

25 - will no longer run to Bradway in the evening. The evening service will be operated by First and run City to Woodhouse only.

Hourly service 24 will still run in the evening to Bradway and Lowedges.

Another example is the withdrawal of 4/4a. The 6 and 218 doesn't run in the evening so Psalter Lane and Carter Knowle Road will no longer have any evening buses 

According to go timetable its only the last 2 services at night on the 86 that will not run with the last one departing low edges at 8.40 in the week and some early morning services dropped so could be worse.

4 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

According to go timetable its only the last 2 services at night on the 86 that will not run with the last one departing low edges at 8.40 in the week and some early morning services dropped so could be worse.

Last 86 bus from town to Lowedges via Archer Road/Hutcliffe Road is 20:10 on the new timetable so those areas will have no evening buses. Greenhill still has the 76, once an hour.

Bradway has a 50% cut to evening service with the axe of the 25 at night and just a once hourly 24 remaining. Lowedges loses 25 and 86 but keeps 24 and 76.

Grenoside appears to be a big loser in the bus changes throughout the day with the axe of route 35, the journey time getting longer on the 135 and the cut of the M92 to just 4 trips per day. 

Edited by Andy C

I use the 31 to lower Walkley, it gets me +shopping up the hill from Hillsborough or city centre along with a lot of other older people. It’s going to be replaced by rerouted 135 whose timetable says it will travel on Whitehouse Rd rather than Whitehouse Lane but I can’t find out where the stop nearest me will be and can’t think where one would be feasible. Anyone any idea where I can find out?

On 19/08/2019 at 15:35, Andy C said:

On 19/08/2019 at 15:35, Andy C said:

Grenoside appears to be a big loser in the bus changes throughout the day with the axe of route 35, the journey time getting longer on the 135 and the cut of the M92 to just 4 trips per day. 

Grenoside has had an unreliable poor bus service for some time, now it appears its going to get even worse. 

Just found out the 135 is to bypass my area altogether. Stop at bottom of Whitehouse Rd with next on Walkley Lane cutting off an area with many elderly and disabled residents. So much for concern re social and health isolation- there’s nothing in the area as most centred in soon to be inaccessible Hillsborough. 

55 minutes ago, catmiss said:

Just found out the 135 is to bypass my area altogether. Stop at bottom of Whitehouse Rd with next on Walkley Lane cutting off an area with many elderly and disabled residents. So much for concern re social and health isolation- there’s nothing in the area as most centred in soon to be inaccessible Hillsborough. 

This is perhaps something to take up with your elected representative (councillor/MP).

Simply put the 31 isn't financially viable without public subsidy - it isn't really busy and many of the passengers travel for free on a concessionary pass.

our local authority SYPTE keep having their funding cut and simply cannot afford to pay to save the service. 

There are other issues too - carr road is often impassable due to inconsideratly parked cars for example.

Many parts of the current route 31/31b will be covered by other services - 52a, 61/62, 95 and 135/135a. However it does still leave a few bits around Walkley without.

Community transport had been running the 31 with no subsidy mon-fri daytime but having lost a lot of contracts to other operators such as Powell's and First that is non longer viable.

Edited by Andy C

12 hours ago, janie48 said:

Grenoside has had an unreliable poor bus service for some time, now it appears its going to get even worse. 

Unreliable... poor... spot on. I'd add shameful and confusing. In the 11 years we've lived here, I can recall Greno to town being served by 13, 35, 66, 77, 85,  and 135. I say "served", but it's never been what I would expect a service should be (although am I remembering right that the 85 ran every 20 minutes?). All have been plagued by constant route "tweaks" and missing buses that make Northern Rail look efficient.

Parts of Grenoside are also served by the 86 of course.

From what I can see the new line up of buses for the Grenoside area:

Stagecoach/First 86: Lowedges-Abbeydale Road-City Centre-Wadsley Bridge-Fox Hill-Parson Cross-Grenoside-Burncross-High Green

First 135/135a: Sheffield-Upperthorpe-Hillsborough-Wadsley Bridge-Grenoside-High Green-Chapeltown-Thorpe Hesley-Kimberworth-Rotherham

Stagecoach M92: Harley-Warren-Chapeltown-Ecclesfield-Grenoside-Fox Hill-Wadsley Bridge-Hillsborough

Still rather poor though.

On 19/08/2019 at 16:23, catmiss said:

I use the 31 to lower Walkley, it gets me +shopping up the hill from Hillsborough or city centre along with a lot of other older people. It’s going to be replaced by rerouted 135 whose timetable says it will travel on Whitehouse Rd rather than Whitehouse Lane but I can’t find out where the stop nearest me will be and can’t think where one would be feasible. Anyone any idea where I can find out?

I'm particularly disappointed at the loss of a bus to the Blake Hotel....  nearest now would be walking down from the 95.

The new 135 route is Upperthorpe Road, Daniel Hill, Fox Road, Burgoyne Road, Whitehouse Road, Walkley Road, Burnaby Crescent and Langsett Crescent. 

I'm guessing Daniel Hill Street would be too narrow for a full size bus.