Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

I was betraying my age about the council taking back control of the buses, 10pence fare anywhere in Sheffield, the bus fares now are just crazy, over two quid to get to town from Leighton Road.

The Star have now published a “story” on the changes, with a typical click bait headline : “LISTED: Every South Yorkshire bus service set to change from the beginning of next month“. Honestly, their reporting gets worse.

4 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I was betraying my age about the council taking back control of the buses, 10pence fare anywhere in Sheffield, the bus fares now are just crazy, over two quid to get to town from Leighton Road.

A couple of things to bear in mind on that - how long ago was it? And fares were subsidised via rates/Council Tax.

As a comparison for todays' fares in SY, single fares, of any distance, in the Brighton & Hove area are £2.60 flat fare, although their daily ticket prices are fairly close to ours - and most of the buses on the very wide and frequent network carry better loads than many of the servicess around here.

4 minutes ago, northernboy said:

The Star have now published a “story” on the changes, with a typical click bait headline : “LISTED: Every South Yorkshire bus service set to change from the beginning of next month“. Honestly, their reporting gets worse.

You still read that scratchy loo-roll?😀

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You still read that scratchy loo-roll?😀

Their “stories” pop up on Facebook, I’ve not seen a printed copy for ages.

(When I say “stories”, it’s usually inaccurate weather reports, or lists of takeaways with one-star hygiene ratings.)

1 minute ago, northernboy said:

Their “stories” pop up on Facebook, I’ve not seen a printed copy for ages.

(When I say “stories”, it’s usually inaccurate weather reports, or lists of takeaways with one-star hygiene ratings.)

Ah - understood.

I remember bus fares being 10p to anywhere in Sheffield in the 1980s and they were regular and never changed the routes and we didn't even pay Council tax.

Everyone has their own opinion on this thread, Brighton & Hove may have a £2:60 flat fare but are the wages higher down there? I think it must be hard for people on low wages to be able to cope with the fares that constantly rise, not by a penny or twopence but five or ten, it's no wonder buses are seen travelling empty? Don't forget not everyone has a car,

Buses in Sheffield are not expensive, amongst cheapest in country, prices were slashed in 2012 and still haven't increased back to that level yet!

Most expensive weekly commuter ticket, offering unlimited travel on any bus or tram in the city, works out at £2.47 a day. 

4 hours ago, lazarus said:

Just over 2 quid? That isn't expensive in 2019! And that is provided commercially with no public subsidy 

8 hours ago, Andy C said:

Buses in Sheffield are not expensive, amongst cheapest in country, prices were slashed in 2012 and still haven't increased back to that level yet!

Most expensive weekly commuter ticket, offering unlimited travel on any bus or tram in the city, works out at £2.47 a day. 

Just over 2 quid? That isn't expensive in 2019! And that is provided commercially with no public subsidy 

If you are on a low income with a family £2 is expensive if you are in a family of four or five, it's looks as though you are working in a decent job so £2 isn't a big thing?

Edited by lazarus

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

If you are on a low income with a family £2 is expensive if you are in a family of four or five, it's looks as though you are working in a decent job so £2 isn't a big thing?

What a load of rubbish.

For a grown adults earning minimum wage that equates to less than 20 minutes work.

People with children get additional benefits.  Children,  young persons and students travelling around on buses have even less money to pay each day for their journeys with their concessionary fare passes giving them unlimited travel in the region for less than £1.20 a day.

Seniors get free off peak bus travel countrywide and even additional concessions for other types of travel in this region.

It's completely ridiculous to suggest that's expensive in 2019.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

What a load of rubbish.

For a grown adults earning minimum wage that equates to less than 20 minutes work.

People with children get additional benefits.  Children,  young persons and students travelling around on buses have even less money to pay each day for their journeys with their concessionary fare passes giving them unlimited travel in the region for less than £1.20 a day.

Seniors get free off peak bus travel countrywide and even additional concessions for other types of travel in this region.

It's completely ridiculous to suggest that's expensive in 2019.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

4 hours ago, lazarus said:

£2 is really cheap for that journey tbh. There are plenty of other examples of much poorer areas than Sheffield having far more expensive fares. Want to try a quick jaunt up the M1 to Leeds to see the comparison.

That's the problem with the cutbacks, the fares are too cheap and not enough income is coming through to fund and maintain the services in their current formation. One of the main bug bears for me and many others is reliability. I don't care if a bus is every 10 minutes or every 30 minutes, so long as I can rely on it turning up and running close to time I can plan my journeys around this.

If you think back to how services used to be run when it was SYPTE, many services were much less frequent than they are today. Don't know whey we have buses running through the day carting fresh air around. When demand drops off at off-peak times you'd expect many buses to go back to the garage and a reduced daytime service to start operating like what used to happen. Must cost a fortune in diesel, insurance, wear & tear and general operating costs (wages etc.) running a 10 minute service all through the day with few customers onboard - most being free pass holders.