Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

44 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

According to the timetable - yes.

That's good as the 38 and 38a only goes as far as Hillsborough or Meadowhall the other way.

Some cuts to evening services that arent obvious from the descriptions.

50% reduction in service to Lowedges and Bradway in the evening for example:

86 - will no longer run to Lowedges in the evening. Evening service will be operated by First and run Sheffield Interchange to Chapeltown. 

Hourly service 76 will still run to Lowedges in the evening. 

25 - will no longer run to Bradway in the evening. The evening service will be operated by First and run City to Woodhouse only.

Hourly service 24 will still run in the evening to Bradway and Lowedges.

Another example is the withdrawal of 4/4a. The 6 and 218 doesn't run in the evening so Psalter Lane and Carter Knowle Road will no longer have any evening buses 

Edited by Andy C

7 hours ago, Andy C said:

Some cuts to evening services that arent obvious from the descriptions.

50% reduction in service to Lowedges and Bradway in the evening for example:

86 - will no longer run to Lowedges in the evening. Evening service will be operated by First and run Sheffield Interchange to Chapeltown. 

Hourly service 76 will still run to Lowedges in the evening. 

25 - will no longer run to Bradway in the evening. The evening service will be operated by First and run City to Woodhouse only.

Hourly service 24 will still run in the evening to Bradway and Lowedges.

Another example is the withdrawal of 4/4a. The 6 and 218 doesn't run in the evening so Psalter Lane and Carter Knowle Road will no longer have any evening buses 

Will the 56 stil continue to run on Leighton Road?

32 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Check the timetables on TSY - but make sure you look at the one headed 'From 01 Sep 2019'

39 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Check the timetables on TSY - but make sure you look at the one headed 'From 01 Sep 2019'

I have but there's no mention of Leighton Road, all it mentions is the 11 & 11A will run to Herdings but it doesn't say which way it will run , could it be up Blackstock Road and down Leighton  Road & vice versa.

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

The 1a and 56 at Herdings is replaced by 11 and 11a, same routes as now into town (one via Hemsworth the other Leighton Road)I think but both will go cross city to Northern General hospital with the 11 continuing to Chapeltown. 

Edited by Andy C

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

SYPTE haven't produced and uploaded the 11/11a "leaflet" as yet.

Here is the timetables for Herdings on the independent Go Timetable website: http://www.gotimetable.com/servicelist.php?&hub=sheffield&search=Herdings

20 minutes ago, Andy C said:

SYPTE haven't produced and uploaded the 11/11a "leaflet" as yet.

Here is the timetables for Herdings on the independent Go Timetable website: http://www.gotimetable.com/servicelist.php?&hub=sheffield&search=Herdings

Sorry, I noticed that when I checked later - and neither had First, when I last checked.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Sorry, I noticed that when I checked later - and neither had First, when I last checked.

Thanks, I now realise the  11A will use Leighton Road and down through Heeley to town, why do they have to mess with the routes, it was chaos last time, especially for the older people. It's time the council took control of the buses once more.

13 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Thanks, I now realise the  11A will use Leighton Road and down through Heeley to town, why do they have to mess with the routes, it was chaos last time, especially for the older people. It's time the council took control of the buses once more.

The reason they 'mess with the routes', as you put it, is because of changing usage by the travelling public - it is expensive and pointless running a bus service no-one, or maybe two people a day, use. It makesl both financial and environmental sense to to run services as efficiently as possible.

As to your comment about the 'council taking control of the buses', sorry, I have to disagree. I accept that services are not to everyones' liking, but when  you realise that First/Stagecoach and the other operators are obliquely told to keep fares as low as possible, and that the PTE doesn't pass on the 'Bus Services Operators Grant' (BSOG) they are supposed to, then you may realise why we have the level of service we do.

If the council - or PTE were allowed to take over the running of the service, your CT  would rocket and there is no guarantee that anything would improve, in fact I personally would expect it to deteriorate in some locations as you would then have the politicians favouring certain areas.

Did your Community Charge/Council Tax reduce when the services were removed from council control? No!

56 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Council take control? Many of the changes are as a result of them cutting public funding to bus services along with growing congestion caused by the council being car friendly at the expense of public transport operators.

The private bus companies are offering the bus possible service given the circumstances. If the council were to offer a better service, you and I would have to pay more tax to fund it.

Edited by Andy C

18 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Council take control? Many of the changes are as a result of them cutting public funding to bus services along with growing congestion caused by the council being car friendly at the expense of public transport operators.

The private bus companies are offering the bus possible service given the circumstances. If the council were to offer a better service, you and I would have to pay more tax to fund it.

Reinforces what I said above @Andy C - thanks.