Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

nationalisation will only be as good as its management and shareholder and as above  without adequate funding it will make little difference

I guess the question is if  a fortune was spent improving services with modern buses and more regular services would people leave their car at home?

Maybe some would but I bet the majority would still use their car and many of those services would not be used.

Previously before the major cuts a few years ago some services which had buses "every 8,9.10 minutes" saw many buses running close to empty.

I've just seen "proposed" timetable  for the number 32 ... which is due to replace the number 35 from 1st of September.

I'm just wondering how many passengers who DID use the number 35 route to get to work and home again have been informed that as well as the evening service ending  earlier , WE NO LONGER HAVE A SUNDAY SERVICE !!!

Kept that quiet while they were yet again juggling this route  AGAIN... !!!

Not many will be aware I'll bet 😟😡

Guest busdriver1
On 05/08/2019 at 09:10, bassett one said:

i have heard first buses are being sold off soon,that will make even more changes

All of First is in theory up for sale. The recent sale of Manchester has seen relatively little change. They are unfortunately in a PTE  area as well so political interference is rife there as well.

Guest busdriver1
On 07/08/2019 at 09:59, amnicoll said:

nationalisation will only be as good as its management and shareholder and as above  without adequate funding it will make little difference

Nationalisation will only be s good as the remit they are given to work under. Good or bad management is secondary. Funding is never going to be forthcoming under the present or even any future governments.

The perfect model would have been to implement the original plan where all the PTE operations would have been merged in to the then NBC to give a nationwide operation rather than the multitude of glaas walls created under PTE operations. NBC was without a doubt the finest bus operator of that era managing to cross subsidise not just services but operating companies all over the uk. They then negotiated local deals with the local authorities to top up what they offered. 

2 hours ago, Bubbleburp said:

I've just seen "proposed" timetable  for the number 32 ... which is due to replace the number 35 from 1st of September.

I'm just wondering how many passengers who DID use the number 35 route to get to work and home again have been informed that as well as the evening service ending  earlier , WE NO LONGER HAVE A SUNDAY SERVICE !!!

Kept that quiet while they were yet again juggling this route  AGAIN... !!!

Not many will be aware I'll bet 😟😡

Oh no, I was hoping the 32 route being better once First take it over.  At the moment its run by TM Travel and the service does end at 7.00 pm and doesn't exist on Sundays. I've not as yet known First to run a service like this so I hope it would be improved. Seems I was dreaming.

The change of operator is the other way around ......

The  No. 35  First service has been withdrawn  and part of that route has been incorporated by TMTravel into the No.32 route ..... unfortunately !!

Edited by Bubbleburp
Added text

16 hours ago, Bubbleburp said:

The change of operator is the other way around ......

The  No. 35  First service has been withdrawn  and part of that route has been incorporated by TMTravel into the No.32 route ..... unfortunately !!

First have won the new contract for the 32. This is a route tendered by SYPTE and operated to their specification with public subsidy, as it doesn't see enough paying passengers to be commercially viable.

Many of the new timetables are now available to download at https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/servicechanges/

Edited by Andy C

3 hours ago, Andy C said:

First have won the new contract for the 32. This is a route tendered by SYPTE and operated to their specification with public subsidy, as it doesn't see enough paying passengers to be commercially viable.

Many of the new timetables are now available to download at https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/servicechanges/

I can't see people who live on Shirecliffe (as well as other areas no doubt) not using this bus as at Shirecliffe its the only one they have.

Bus 18 will also serve Shirecliffe

2 hours ago, Andy C said:

Bus 18 will also serve Shirecliffe

But will it go into town? The 38 and 38a doesn't.

8 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

But will it go into town? The 38 and 38a doesn't.

According to the timetable - yes.