Metal Joining Sleeves

Anywhere in Sheffield I can get a metal joining sleeve like these on eBay 132361291647. Can’t order off eBay as need to check item for fit first 

Does it have to be steel and those exact dimensions?

1 hour ago, carosio said:

Does it have to be steel and those exact dimensions?

Not sure of internal dimensions hence wanting to try it in person    Need to be steel as I’m going to weld two pieces of steel rod together using it as a jointing sleeve 

Edited by rudds1

Can you not measure the diameter of the rod, even with a tape to give us an idea? It does not have to be as accurate as a micrometer. You can get internal threaded jointing pieces locally, which may do the job but it depends on size and what the job is for.

Try an electrical supplier like City Electrical Factors. They probably have steel connectors in various sizes.

can you not butt weld the two ends together? grind a chamfer on the ends of the pieces to get a nice 'v' groove in which to weld...?

48 minutes ago, Janus said:

Can you not measure the diameter of the rod, even with a tape to give us an idea? It does not have to be as accurate as a micrometer. You can get internal threaded jointing pieces locally, which may do the job but it depends on size and what the job is for.

I’ve bought a car and it’s got a subframe bolt that’s snapped so my plan is to cut the old broken bolt down then put the sleeve over it then weld a new piece of bolt in using the sleeve to bridge the 2 pieces hence the sleeve can not be threaded. The  diameter of the broken bolt is approximately 20 mm 

2 minutes ago, smithy266 said:

can you not butt weld the two ends together? grind a chamfer on the ends of the pieces to get a nice 'v' groove in which to weld...?

Did think of that but thought sleeve would be better and also using sleeve would ensure the new bolt piece will be straight as it’s going through a subframe 

8 minutes ago, glitterballs said:

can you not drill it out?

No it’s too hard a steel bolt plus one end is in a sealed box section which is not  accessible 

I have a piece of tube, 20.5mm I.D. x 28mm O.D.

Try  Ogley Brothers Ltd  on Allen Street 

3 hours ago, rudds1 said:

I’ve bought a car and it’s got a subframe bolt that’s snapped so my plan is to cut the old broken bolt down then put the sleeve over it then weld a new piece of bolt in using the sleeve to bridge the 2 pieces hence the sleeve can not be threaded. The  diameter of the broken bolt is approximately 20 mm 

Did think of that but thought sleeve would be better and also using sleeve would ensure the new bolt piece will be straight as it’s going through a subframe 

I fully understand about the sleeves keeping the 2 pieces straight and assumed straight away your intention, which is a good idea. If you obtained  sleeves that were a very near fit diameter, I cannot see how threads inside the sleeves would be a problem, as long as they are touching the inside of the sleeve wall. Plenty of weld around the end of each sleeve.

Carosio`s tube is a pretty near fit in respect of the internal. The thick wall may make it a bit too large for where you are fitting it though.

Yes, thought it might be too thick,  threaded tube is perhaps about 2-3mm thick.