Open University. Any Good?

What I’ve seen recently when interviewing graduates is universities have upped their game in the transferable skills arena. Certainly the grads coming off certain courses at our two local unis are very well rounded skills-wise. 

I’m thinking of applying to do an OU degree in English. Has anyone got a degree from the OU ? What is it like ? Can you do it at your own pace ? Is it hard ?

I went to an Open University and it didn't mean that I was going to get less knowledge. Attending an Open University gave me the opportunity to combine work and study. I now work as an engineer, in my specialty, and I wouldn't say that management is embarrassed that I went to an Open University.

On 15/10/2019 at 20:03, pattricia said:

I’m thinking of applying to do an OU degree in English. Has anyone got a degree from the OU ? What is it like ? Can you do it at your own pace ? Is it hard ?

Knowing someone who is doing it right now I can't really say if it's hard or not. You have certainly got to commit. It is a proper degree which if you're studying it part-time is just spread out over several additional years.

OU generally say that people should be committing at least 35 hours week study time for a full-time degree or at least 16 to 20 hours week study time for those doing it part-time.

If you are running OU alongside a job and family commitments you have to be disciplined. You sort of can work at your own pace but there are  fixed dates for assignments and exams which need to be met - so it is quite intense.

Despite what some of the critics say about the courses, they are a proper degree and not to be put down as just some half assed 6 week correspondence course.

Of course the one massive advantage of OU, which is why my mate did it, is the fact that their study fees are about a third of what a bricks-and-mortar uni would charge.

Edited by ECCOnoob

6 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Knowing someone who is doing it right now I can't really say if it's hard or not. You have certainly got to commit. It is a proper degree which if you're studying it part-time is just spread out over several additional years.

OU generally say that people should be committing at least 35 hours week study time for a full-time degree or at least 16 to 20 hours week study time for those doing it part-time.

If you are running OU alongside a job and family commitments you have to be disciplined. You sort of can work at your own pace but there are  fixed dates for assignments and exams which need to be met - so it is quite intense.

Despite what some of the critics say about the courses, they are a proper degree and not to be put down as just some half assed 6 week correspondence course.

Of course the one massive advantage of OU, which is why my mate did it, is the fact that their study fees are about a third of what a bricks-and-mortar uni would charge.

Just to echo the above, I did an Masters through the OU whilst working, very challenging in terms of time demands.

1 minute ago, JudeMcLean said:

It's hard to judge education at the Open University. Personally, I had no experience of studying there. But based on the stories of my friends, I can distinguish that most of them were happy about this experience in education. Some of my friends complained about the poor conditions and problems in getting information. They also shared that they used a site https://gradesfixer.com/essay-types/informative-essays/ that allowed them to do their homework comfortably. They used this site to find informative essays examples. I think you should still try it. Perhaps your efforts will yield the maximum results of your studies.

I've never used such sites in my studies. I try to do everything myself as much as possible.