Jump to content

The Moon Landing. 50 Years On.

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I’m pretty sure all moon rock is on loan as it all belongs to NASA (ie. the United States Government)

Nope, moon rocks were gifted to more than 100 countries in the years of 1969 and 1970. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone  know how many men have been on moon surface?  Answer surprised me!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, markfor said:

Does anyone  know how many men have been on moon surface?  Answer surprised me!!

I thought it was about 12? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’m going to say 11.

just googled it and I think it is 12.

Edited by hauxwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I’m going to say 11.

Deffo 12.

 

No one landed on the moon more than once although a few did go there more than once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Deffo 12.

 

No one landed on the moon more than once although a few did go there more than once.

And the number that flew to the moon is exactly twice that at 24.. there are the command module pilots, the never landing Apollo 8 and 10 missions. For some reason the aborted Apollo 13 mission doesnty count in that total of 24 I think because it was never captured by the Moon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Obelix said:

And the number that flew to the moon is exactly twice that at 24.. there are the command module pilots, the never landing Apollo 8 and 10 missions. For some reason the aborted Apollo 13 mission doesnty count in that total of 24 I think because it was never captured by the Moon.

 

Technically it was captured by the moon or it would not have swung back round to earth but it was never technically in lunar orbit.

 

It was however, close enough to the lunar surface for Fred Haise and Jim Lovell to actually see the spot where they would have landed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not sure that satisfies the definition of capture though - my understanding is that you would have to be in a lunar orbit for it to be properly captured which would imply an insertion burn since they were not using a LEC orbit.

They did go very close though, I seem to recall only about 60 miles up as they went over Fra Mouro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Obelix said:

They did go very close though, I seem to recall only about 60 miles up as they went over Fra Mouro

No, it never got any closer than 140 miles above the lunar surface which is more than double the altitude of the successful missions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you are a astro-not and land on the moon in a Hollywood studio or some other studio does it count?

 

Looking at the evidence I'd say you would have to be pretty damn thick to buy their story.

Edited by MAC33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.