The Moon Landing. 50 Years On.

10 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I’m pretty sure all moon rock is on loan as it all belongs to NASA (ie. the United States Government)

Nope, moon rocks were gifted to more than 100 countries in the years of 1969 and 1970. 

Does anyone  know how many men have been on moon surface?  Answer surprised me!!

3 minutes ago, markfor said:

Does anyone  know how many men have been on moon surface?  Answer surprised me!!

I thought it was about 12? 

I’m going to say 11.

just googled it and I think it is 12.

Edited by hauxwell

2 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I’m going to say 11.

Deffo 12.

No one landed on the moon more than once although a few did go there more than once.

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Deffo 12.

No one landed on the moon more than once although a few did go there more than once.

And the number that flew to the moon is exactly twice that at 24.. there are the command module pilots, the never landing Apollo 8 and 10 missions. For some reason the aborted Apollo 13 mission doesnty count in that total of 24 I think because it was never captured by the Moon.

3 minutes ago, Obelix said:

And the number that flew to the moon is exactly twice that at 24.. there are the command module pilots, the never landing Apollo 8 and 10 missions. For some reason the aborted Apollo 13 mission doesnty count in that total of 24 I think because it was never captured by the Moon.

Technically it was captured by the moon or it would not have swung back round to earth but it was never technically in lunar orbit.

It was however, close enough to the lunar surface for Fred Haise and Jim Lovell to actually see the spot where they would have landed.

Im not sure that satisfies the definition of capture though - my understanding is that you would have to be in a lunar orbit for it to be properly captured which would imply an insertion burn since they were not using a LEC orbit.

They did go very close though, I seem to recall only about 60 miles up as they went over Fra Mouro

12 minutes ago, Obelix said:

They did go very close though, I seem to recall only about 60 miles up as they went over Fra Mouro

No, it never got any closer than 140 miles above the lunar surface which is more than double the altitude of the successful missions.

If you are a astro-not and land on the moon in a Hollywood studio or some other studio does it count?

Looking at the evidence I'd say you would have to be pretty damn thick to buy their story.

Edited by MAC33