The Moon Landing. 50 Years On.

In case anyone didn’t know, at 8.17pm tonight 50 years ago, the Eagle lunar lander touched down on the surface of the moon.

A remarkable feat with the resources available, particularly with the computing memory and power at the time. The famous 1202 error code, minutes before they landed was because Buzz Aldrin had forgotten to switch off the docking radar and the microprocessor was crapping out due to being task overloaded. The Angry Birds game alone uses more processing than used in the entire Apollo programme.

Yes we know that the whole thing wasn’t a great attempt to further mankind’s quest for knowledge, but rather a huge PR exercise in response to the Soviets making all the first major steps in the space race, but we should still pay tribute to the thousands of men and women who played their part in this great adventure.

(can mods please delete any attempts to turn this thread into a ‘it was all filmed in the Nevada desert’ conspiraloon fest)

It was filmed at Cleethorpes …….. with the tide out.

25 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

(can mods please delete any attempts to turn this thread into a ‘it was all filmed in the Nevada desert’ conspiraloon fest)

I thought this was a free speech country.  If any posters don't believe the Moon Landing happened then they should be free to say so just as you are free to spout your unpatriotic nonsense regarding Brexit and other topics.

A agree with you that the Moon Landing was a remarkable feat which is all the more remarkable since technology has advanced so much in the last fifty years.

8 minutes ago, mad-dad said:

You're going to upset TopCatsHat.

Edited by Lockdoctor

8 minutes ago, mad-dad said:

I was told it was Chapel St Leonards

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

I was only 3 months old

I was two nearly two.

Just now, Mister Gee said:

I was two nearly two.

old git lol

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

old git lol

Cheers Mel lad, you won't be far behind me.

1 minute ago, Mister Gee said:

Cheers Mel lad, you won't be far behind me.

;)

13 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

I thought this was a free speech country.

No, it’s a privately owned forum and the internet is full of crackpot, evidence-free websites for people to discuss their favourite crank theories to their heart’s content..

What's really depressing is that 50 years on we've got a halfwit racist in the Whitehouse and we are going to have a Beano character in number 10.

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

No, it’s a privately owned forum and the internet is full of crackpot, evidence-free websites for people to discuss their favourite crank theories to their heart’s content..

This privately owned forum is full of crank theories on numerous topics from the members.  Regarding the moon landings it is understandable there are people who doubt they happened because it has been so long since the last moon landing happened.