Should Ved Be On Fuel For Private Cars?

9 minutes ago, jonnyhonda said:

I didn't say anyone did get away without paying any tax  , if you want to be pedantic and call it VED then fine , but Vehicle Excise Duty is another name for road tax and well you know it and if you are saying avoiding it and getting away without paying it are 2 different things then you are just being awkward. There are many vehicles on the road without tax and so their owners are getting away without or avoiding paying it and it costs money to find these owners and prosecute them. If the road tax was abolished and  replaced with extra fuel duty , I repeat no one would be able to get away without paying it if they drove their car.

Just because you have bought a car which doesn't attract road tax , why shouldn't you pay fuel duty ? Your car is  still polluting the atmosphere as  are all internal combustion engine powered vehicles . 

Dont pick on me matey - but someone was due to pick up on the tax,even though i used the term TAX, and as usual immediateley afterwards someone came along and did so.

Every motorist who buys fuel currently pays tax PLUS VED,(for those who pay it)

Similalry i bought a VED free car as the Govt claim they are the least polluting- so yet again why should i pay additional tax when i'm already doing my bit for the nenvironment and pollution.

Edited by willman

8 minutes ago, willman said:

Dont pick on me matey - but someone was due to pick up on the tax,even though i used the term TAX, and as usual immediateley afterwards someone came along and did so.

Similalry i bought a VED free car as the Govt claim they are the least polluting- so yet again why should i pay additional tax when i'm already doing my bit for the nenvironment and pollution.

VED also covers road maintenance  ( it's paid for out of general taxation of which  VED is a part )

It's not all about pollution.

If duty went on to fuel, everyone using a vehicle's  internal combustion engine would all be treated equal. 

People who used an all electric car would gain the most. They would not have to buy fuel that attracted additional duty. Quite rightly so as they would be the least polluting. 

3 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I like the current system. It encourages the purchase of less environmentally damaging vehicles. 

Explicitly tying the tax to the amount of CO2 produced gives an incentive for car buyers to buy cleaner cars.  In some cases the saving can be hundreds of pounds. 

I’m not sure that putting a couple of pence per litre onto fuel will have the same effect.

A lot of the benefits of lower CO2 emissions have now gone. My car is a couple of years old and just crept into the £20/year bracket. Later versions of the same car now incur over £100/year VED.

I’ve long been in favour of adding all duties to the fuel price. I’d lose out, going forward, but still be OK as I’ve got a car with low fuel consumption.

I’d not just limit it to private vehicles. While ever we consider the burning of fossil fuels as being a problem, (both in terms of pollution and global warming), then the simplest and effective way of charging people for using up these fuels is to charge them as they use the resource.  Tax/duty is an effective and easily collected method.  This should include road vehicles, domestic heating and cooking, shipping and flying.

2 hours ago, jonnyhonda said:

I have long been an advocate of this. It would mean those using the most fuel ie those who are polluting the air most would pay the most. No one using a vehicle would be able to get away without paying ,so the cost of finding and prosecuting road tax dodgers would be zero , and the cost of administering the tax would be saved. 

I cannot disagree with any of this. As you suggest, the reason for not implemating something so logical  must be political. 

21 minutes ago, willman said:

Answering your point is not picking on you 'matey', it is called debating.

Your vehicle may be one of the least polluting but it is still polluting .  Which car causes the least pollution in a year - a 2017 Kia Picanto  1.0 (105g/km  CO2) travelling 10,000 miles or a  2005 Honda Accord 2.4 estate (229g/km CO2) travelling 1000 miles for example ?And  which one attracts the most tax ?  Well the Kia Attracts £20 VED whilst the Honda costs £325. Do you think that is fair and just ?

2 hours ago, jonnyhonda said:

Ok , I hold my hands up. There is no such thing as road tax  , it is now called VED.  You , like Willman knew exactly what I meant though and being pedantic brings nothing to a debate.

Get used to it on this forum mate, it's a regular occurrence.

Angel1.

Can’t see any government adopting this ,why should they when they can make money twice over  ( once on ved and then on tax on fuel ) but I would love it to be come reality 

3 hours ago, willman said:

No vehicle owner currently gets away without paying any tax - they just avoid VED and often insurance.

i've already  bought a VED free car - why should i be persecuted by paying additional road tax through fuel. 

Why is your car VED free? if you would be "persecuted by paying additional tax through fuel" then it cannot be because it doesn't pollute, perhaps rather than "being persecuted" consider it a charge proportional for the use of the roads and amount of pollution produced and like any other charge pay it albeit grudgingly.

The VED should be either proportional to the pollution caused as an anti pollution measure or to fund the transport infrastructure it uses, it certainly should not be an incentive to use a car more because of the charge is made anyway.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

Why is your car VED free? if you would be "persecuted by paying additional tax through fuel" then it cannot be because it doesn't pollute, perhaps rather than "being persecuted" consider it a charge proportional for the use of the roads and amount of pollution produced and like any other charge pay it albeit grudgingly.

The VED should be either proportional to the pollution caused as an anti pollution measure or to fund the transport infrastructure it uses, it certainly should not be an incentive to use a car more because of the charge is made anyway.

no idea why its VED free but it is, so thats all i care about tbh.

I assume its because the VED is proportional to the pollution my car causes.

VED  is based on pollution, or lack of from the car.

@Arthur Ritus

"Feeling persecuted"

If I have understood willman correctly, he is describing how he would feel if duty was added to fuel, as he bought a car based on no VED to pay each year. 

It is not as though he is being singled out. It would potentially affect many in the same position.

The government could change the limits  of the co2 that incur duty and he could end up having to pay each year, regardless of anything else changing.

Think about how stamp duty has changed on property. There is only so much you can plan for.

Edited by Janus

On 20 July 2019 at 16:29, Janus said:

If duty went on to fuel, everyone using a vehicle's  internal combustion engine would all be treated equal. 

People who used an all electric car would gain the most. They would not have to buy fuel that attracted additional duty. Quite rightly so as they would be the least polluting. 

How do you propose to continue funding road network maintenance and upgrades, as fewer and fewer ICE cars remain in use over time?