Should Ved Be On Fuel For Private Cars?

I would like to see the VED being abolished, and the duty being transferred to fuel for private cars.

I can imagine that there are some people doing very few miles per  annum, yet paying the same as someone doing in excess of 30k per annum.

Would this have a big impact on reducing emissions? I think it would. Cleaner air for everyone.

It would no doubt increase fuel thefts. However, it would get rid of the problem of "untaxed" private vehicles.

The more we polute the more we pay. What hidden agenda if any, could be stopping the government from introducing   this.

I like the current system. It encourages the purchase of less environmentally damaging vehicles. 

Explicitly tying the tax to the amount of CO2 produced gives an incentive for car buyers to buy cleaner cars.  In some cases the saving can be hundreds of pounds. 

I’m not sure that putting a couple of pence per litre onto fuel will have the same effect.

If the duty went on fuel, wouldn't that incentivise more people to buy an electric vehicle?

All while the polluting petrol/diesel owners were reducing their mileage.

Double edge sword?

In the past, one of the arguments against this is that it would unfairly affect people who live in rural areas. Just getting to and from a petrol station can be a lengthy journey and any extra tax on fuel would further impoverish the rural poor.

Another reason for people in rural areas to buy an electric car?

I completely agree , or at least there should be a refund for cars doing less mileage to encourage drivers to leave the car and walk, cycle or whatever.

I pay about 50p a mile in ved as i only use the car when necessary, it would be cheaper to use a taxi if they would let me put bags of rubbish and cement etc in, its difficult enough to get one to take a dog.

For many people a small economic low polluting car for general use whenever possible and a big old vehicle possibly 4wd for when necessary is a practical  more environmentally friendly way of living but will be charged much more than a new vehicle with fiddled co2 output used all the time, 

The trouble is the state administration on all its levels only want environmental initiatives that produce money for them or help their business buddies and there company investments by selling new cars.  I produce a lot less co2 and other pollutants than a hybrid that does high mileage and runs on petrol all the time but have to pay much more.

39 minutes ago, max said:

In the past, one of the arguments against this is that it would unfairly affect people who live in rural areas. Just getting to and from a petrol station can be a lengthy journey and any extra tax on fuel would further impoverish the rural poor.

They are the ones who are more likely to have an old landrover or similar workhorse and a little not so new runabout, paying twice irrelevant of there usage.

I can't believe any government will really give a dam  about "the rural poor"  the wealthy and powerful country residents perhaps. By rural to that extent you have to be many miles from civilisation as we know it to be affected. Unlikely to make a special run just for fuel, would more likely fill up when visiting the supermarket or something which is more reason to make VED mileage relative  - encouragement of making journeys as efficient as possible rather than "its costing me a fortune stood there so may as well use it"

I have long been an advocate of this. It would mean those using the most fuel ie those who are polluting the air most would pay the most. No one using a vehicle would be able to get away without paying ,so the cost of finding and prosecuting road tax dodgers would be zero , and the cost of administering the tax would be saved. 

The reason I believe it has never been introduced is because it would penalise the rich and benefit the poor - hardly a vote winner for the Tories ,New Labour or the Metropolitan Luvvies whom Labour now like to cuddle up to.

No vehicle owner currently gets away without paying any tax - they just avoid VED and often insurance.

i've already  bought a VED free car - why should i be persecuted by paying additional road tax through fuel. 

There is no longer such a thing as road tax.

7 minutes ago, willman said:

No vehicle owner currently gets away without paying any tax - they just avoid VED and often insurance.

i've already  bought a VED free car - why should i be persecuted by paying additional road tax through fuel. 

I didn't say anyone did get away without paying any tax  , if you want to be pedantic and call it VED then fine , but Vehicle Excise Duty is another name for road tax and well you know it and if you are saying avoiding it and getting away without paying it are 2 different things then you are just being awkward. There are many vehicles on the road without tax and so their owners are getting away without or avoiding paying it and it costs money to find these owners and prosecute them. If the road tax was abolished and  replaced with extra fuel duty , I repeat no one would be able to get away without paying it if they drove their car.

Just because you have bought a car which doesn't attract road tax , why shouldn't you pay fuel duty ? Your car is  still polluting the atmosphere as  are all internal combustion engine powered vehicles . 

11 minutes ago, Janus said:

15 minutes ago, Janus said:

Ok , I hold my hands up. There is no such thing as road tax  , it is now called VED.  You , like Willman knew exactly what I meant though and being pedantic brings nothing to a debate.