British Flagged Tanker Seized In Gulf By Iran.

1 minute ago, Top Cats Hat said:

When was it any different?

Who said it ever was, as a country we merely created a situation that those who should have known better didn't see coming.

Just now, Michael_W said:

Who said it ever was, as a country we merely created a situation that those who should have known better didn't see coming.

And having just seen another posh boy from Eton become Prime Minister, has anything changed?

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

And having just seen another posh boy from Eton become Prime Minister, has anything changed?

Why would it ? our country is run by people who are out of touch, as I said before.

3 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

Why would it ? our country is run by people who are out of touch, as I said before.

I agree Mick, one of em is going to be the PM on Tuesday.

9 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Brexit happened because we were a joke?

I thought that Brexit happened because a few very rich businessmen scared Cameron into promising a referendum?

And six million UKIP voters in 2015, most of whom were perceived to be " natural" but disaffeçted Tory voters, and Call me Dave wanted a clear majority at the GE. 

But back to the threads point....

Not sure what's gone off as I rarely watch UK news these days but I rarely believe US and Uk media on these subjects eg Libya

If we have still got the Iranian tanker we seized, government could offer to give it back in exchange for ours, although I feel that won’t happen.  The uk government must have known that Iran would retaliate.  It makes me wonder if this is what our Government wanted Iran to do.  

We need better policing in this shipping lane to allow tankers to go about there business.

12 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

If we have still got the Iranian tanker we seized, government could offer to give it back in exchange for ours, although I feel that won’t happen.  The uk government must have known that Iran would retaliate.  It makes me wonder if this is what our Government wanted Iran to do.  

We need better policing in this shipping lane to allow tankers to go about there business.

America are always wanting to up the ante, they are always looking for ways to cause trouble with other countries, too much money is made selling weapons, as the American lapdog, we always follow suit unfortunately 

And the Daily Mail, revelling in the tensions as expected, are not innocent. Their malicious publication of the leak outlining ambassador Kim Darroch's private observations generated significant tensions between the UK and the USA.  There is little doubt that these tensions were noted by Iran, and constitute a factor in their decision to seize a vessel sailing under a British flag.

10 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

We started this.  Iran are saving face and have every right to.

This could escalate, the Saudis will want it to.

We should just apologise and give them their tanker back.

The tanker in question was taking oil to Syria against EU sanctions. When it entered Gibraltar’s waters it was impounded for breaking these. So why should we apologise for acting on EU rules?

9 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

The tanker in question was taking oil to Syria against EU sanctions. When it entered Gibraltar’s waters it was impounded for breaking these. So why should we apologise for acting on EU rules?

EU sanctions? so they were our sanctions that they broke then? hmmmm, why did we put sanctions on them in the first place?  and who actually gave us and the Americans the right to lay down the law to the rest of the world?

23 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Because Syria aren't in the EU so are not subject to their sanctions.

It's like me and Banjodeano banning you from having a mobile phone and then mugging you of it if we saw you in the street.