Small Claims Court

1 hour ago, Bonzo77 said:

Also damaged the flat

If you have evidence that he damaged the flat you could report it to the police as criminal damage and have it dealt with as a criminal matter but knowing SYP’s reluctance to do anything, I suspect you will also struggle with that route.

Have you considered using the services of a debt collector.

If you have any proof of the debt, you can pay someone to collect for you.

1 hour ago, Jen17 said:

No but stealing goods is and this was proven. Still didn't pay what was ordered by the courts, served 2 weeks in jail because he didn't pay, debt cleared for him, no compensation for stolen goods to the injured party not to mention loss of income through not having the stolen items returned (needed for job) and 4 kids holiday being cancelled because parents couldn't pay the balance through lack of work.

Had to take a loan to replace the stolen items causing more financial hardship.

You could have still sued in the civil courts and that would have been enforcable...

5 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

No contract in place !  Cant  see much Joy coming out of this.  Mates or no mates draw up a contract. Same as going into buisness with a mate.  When it comes to money the word "Mate"  evaporates. :thumbsup:

The contract is irrelevant.  We have written messages agreeing terms and dates. That's more than enough for a case to be made.

4 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If you have evidence that he damaged the flat you could report it to the police as criminal damage and have it dealt with as a criminal matter but knowing SYP’s reluctance to do anything, I suspect you will also struggle with that route.

Yes, I've called the police. They've filed a report for the theft and damage. Also the threats he's made over the phone to me and my family. All the phone calls have been recorded too.

27 minutes ago, Bonzo77 said:

The contract is irrelevant.  We have written messages agreeing terms and dates. That's more than enough for a case to be made.

That’s true.

Even a verbal agreement where one party lends another party £1000 to be payed back at £100 per month, can be enforced without a contract, if the first party can show a payment into their bank account from the second party each month which stops after five months. 

A court will accept that as evidence that there was an agreement to pay the debt back at £100 per month.

7 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

That’s true.

Even a verbal agreement where one party lends another party £1000 to be payed back at £100 per month, can be enforced without a contract, if the first party can show a payment into their bank account from the second party each month which stops after five months. 

A court will accept that as evidence that there was an agreement to pay the debt back at £100 per month.

The problem I've got, is that this idiot I'm sueing, is likely to plead poverty and pay me back as little as possible, each month.

I'm torn between the financial aspect of it all and the principal of it all. The stubborn side in me wants to make him pay, even if its £1 a month, over several years 😂

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 20:00, Obelix said:

You could have still sued in the civil courts and that would have been enforcable...

It's enforceable but if they don't pay you still don't get anything and that doesn't help and that is assuming you can raise the money to raise the issue with the court. You get costs when you win but if they don't pay up for the costs or compensation awarded you are still very much  out of pocket.