Britbox, Will You Subscribe?

Will you subscribe to Britbox?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Will you subscribe to Britbox?

• Yes
    • No

Just seen on the news about the new BritBox service that is a joint streaming service being launched by  BBC/ITV around October, the subscription will be £5.99pm. ITV own 90% of Britbox with the BBC owning 10%,  ITV management will be in control of it. The BBC and ITV launched BritBox in North America in 2017, showing programmes like Midsomer Murders, Poirot and Only Fools and Horses. Does this mean that they will stream certain programmes on the Britbox instead of the terrestrial tv, Poirot, Midsomer Murders etc are shown on ITV3 are they going to stop showing them on there and just stream them on Britbox instead? 

https://hexus.net/business/news/internet/132887-bbc-itv-reveal-britbox-streaming-tv-launch-plans/

I voted no.

There is more than enough stuff to watch on the television without having to pay for it (other than through the licence fee or advertising.)

My wife tried it last year on a free trial but didn't keep it.I never watched any of it myself . I am happy enough with Amazon Prime, for now, which we have just switched to from Netflix at half the price.

1 hour ago, Ontarian1981 said:

My wife tried it last year on a free trial but didn't keep it.I never watched any of it myself . I am happy enough with Amazon Prime, for now, which we have just switched to from Netflix at half the price.

Ive just looked at the prices. Netflix is cheaper than Amazon prime.  According to what Ive just read.:huh:

I think they've shown all the programs many times over the years. During that time we have paid again and again to watch repeats, and now the want us to subscribe?

My Daughter pays for Netflix, I pay for Amazon and the BBC Tax.

NO from me too

22 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Ive just looked at the prices. Netflix is cheaper than Amazon prime.  According to what Ive just read.:huh:

My wife takes care of stuff like that and she switched to Amazon because it was half the price of Netflix plus there wasn't much left to see on Netflix that we hadn't watched over the last 5 years or so. However it could be that on Netflix we were set up for 3 users. Amazon is just set for one with me tagging along as a "household guest"  (lol) on the bedroom telly.

28 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

My wife takes care of stuff like that and she switched to Amazon because it was half the price of Netflix plus there wasn't much left to see on Netflix that we hadn't watched over the last 5 years or so. However it could be that on Netflix we were set up for 3 users. Amazon is just set for one with me tagging along as a "household guest"  (lol) on the bedroom telly.

I pay for 4 screens and its only £12 a month.  But like you say after 5 years you can get through some stuff.  Their a bit slow  adding new stuff. On saying that I still prefer it to normal telly adverts drive me insane. :hihi:

34 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I pay for 4 screens and its only £12 a month.  But like you say after 5 years you can get through some stuff.  Their a bit slow  adding new stuff. On saying that I still prefer it to normal telly adverts drive me insane:hihi:

Adverts annoy me, on the Drama channel they put a 30 minute programme like Last of the summer wine in a 40 minute slot with two lots of adverts in it. Then to the other extreme they put an hour long  BBC programme like Death in Paradise  in a 60 minute slot and edit it so they can get adverts in and show it within the hour. I expect there will be plenty of adverts on the Britbox as well.

Edited by iansheff

34 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I pay for 4 screens and its only £12 a month.  But like you say after 5 years you can get through some stuff.  Their a bit slow  adding new stuff. On saying that I still prefer it to normal telly adverts drive me insane. :hihi:

I often download apps from TV stations, it's surprising how much stuff you can stream for free and most ads are missing. I also have one that a fellow forummer gave me the link for, where I can watch all sports from over there and over here too, all for free, including all Sky channels.

3 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Adverts annoy me, on the Drama channel they put a 30 minute programme like Last of the summer wine in a 40 minute slot with two lots of adverts in it. 

Try watching american telly.

After 6 or 7 minutes of adverts, your programme starts. As soon as the opening titles are done, it goes straight into another advert break before the programme resumes. It makes channel hopping without a programme guide very difficult as you are constantly flicking from advert to advert.

17 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Adverts annoy me, on the Drama channel they put a 30 minute programme like Last of the summer wine in a 40 minute slot with two lots of adverts in it. Then to the other extreme they put an hour long  BBC programme like Death in Paradise  in a 60 minute slot and edit it so they can get adverts in and show it within the hour. I expect there will be plenty of adverts on the Britbox as well.

Regular TV is terrible for adverts in North America. Example, my wife still likes to watch Corrie (lord knows why) and for one half hour show there is 5 commercial breaks, I kid you not. I can stream it for her and chromecast it to the big screen later and skip the ads, but no, she sits through it at the proper time slot. :loopy:

Edited by Ontarian1981

1 minute ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Regular TV is terrible for adverts in North America. Example, my wire still likes to watch Corrie (lord knows why) and for one half hour show there is 5 commercial breaks, I kid you not. I can stream it for her and chromecast it to the big screen later and skip the ads, but no, she sits through it at the proper time slot. :loopy:

Why doesn’t your ‘wire’ just record the omnibus edition of Corrie, then just fast forward through the ads?