Councils Charging Householders To Dump Waste.

2 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Austerity is not a budgetary necessity, nor has it gone anyway towards balancing the budget.  It's simply a means of transferring wealth from the poor to the rich.  It's entirely ideological.

Absolute. Rubbish. It's gone a very long way towards reducing the deficit.

10 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

It's been done to death, but your quoted graphs show how much the deficit has fallen since the 2010 Labour peak.

They show national debt as a percentage of GDP is much higher now than 2010.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Austerity is not a budgetary necessity, nor has it gone anyway towards balancing the budget.  It's simply a means of transferring wealth from the poor to the rich.  It's entirely ideological.

I don't believe that anyone is talking about construction and demolition waste except you.  We were talking about the local tip, where you take your old furniture and broken TV, perhaps some garden waste, or large cardboard packaging.

Oh but they are talking about C&D waste. The link in the original post mentions a toilet seat. DIY waste is construction demolition waste, as is anything you usually leave in place when you move house eg kitchen, bathroom, fitted cupboards, electrical fittings etc. 

6 hours ago, Chez2 said:

I haven't blamed Corbyn if you read. I asked if people expect there to be a magic money tree  such as Corbyn seems to have. He's the one that comes up will silly comments on ending austerity as though there is no budget to balance.  It is nothing to do with budgets anyway. Councils ARE NOT OBLIGED to deal with anything other than domestic waste. As I have already said; construction / demolition waste is not in that category, its a different waste classification. C&D waste is controlled waste whereas household waste isn't until it has been collected by the council. 

I've seen plenty of fly tipped rubbish over the years and not all of it is trade waste by any stretch.

1 hour ago, Chez2 said:

Oh but they are talking about C&D waste. The link in the original post mentions a toilet seat. DIY waste is construction demolition waste, as is anything you usually leave in place when you move house eg kitchen, bathroom, fitted cupboards, electrical fittings etc. 

You aren't suggesting I get a skip in to dispose of toilet seat are you? How would I dispose of one?

9 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Hang on, if I swap out my toilet seat today, you're telling me that it's construction and demolition waste and not something that I should expect to be able to dump for free at a council site as a private householder?

A toilet seat can be dropped into the black bin, also the old pan if necessary, either whole or in pieces.

It wasn't my example, but yes, it can.

How about if I decide to change out the sink though, and it's too big to fit in the black bin?  Or perhaps I need to dispose of a tumble dryer?

Yes, I was just commenting in general. Several options I guess. If you're a council tenant I think you can get large items removed free or at reduced price. Take it to a local tip if you have a suitable car, or ask a friend to take it provided it's wrapped in a fashion as not to mark upholstery. Many items can be broken up and fed, over time, into the black bin.

Veola's site gives very scant information on what can or can't be put in the black bin. I know that you shouldn't dispose of cans containing paint etc as they can burst in the compacting machine. There are plenty of other things that shouldnt be put in but can't find any info on their site.

If the tumble dryer won't fit into the back of the car then  it can be left on the grass verge to be picked up by the scrappers, but if you ain't got no grass verge then I suppose it's dip into the wallet time to get rid of it, unless the suppliers of a new machine will take it.

Edited by carosio

The local tip charging for waste is the precise point of this thread is it not?