Councils Charging Householders To Dump Waste.

11 hours ago, Eater Sundae said:

What alternatives can councils pursue, particularly when central government control both the level of income and the (council’s) obligations?  They are also signed up to enforcing a levy (ie tax) on landfill. Dumping HAS to be paid for

What about all the stuff that is taken to the tips that are for recycling have you seen the amount of things that gets put into the house hold electrical items skip. Then there are the TV's and monitors that are put into the containers to go where ever they go to, there is the glass, metals, plastics and green waste that is all for recycling, Most of the skips at Beighton Road tip are for recycling. I can't see the  council paying to dispose of the stuff that goes for recycling, it will be sold on and the companies that buy it will have to pay to dispose of any of the material they can't recycle.

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

If it's dumped on private land the council charge the landowner.

But charging to get of rubbish is outrageous.

Why is it outrageous? That is like saying its outrageous shops charge you for food or water companies for supplying water because its necessary for survival.

The market rate is usually in excess of £110 /T as landfill tax is £91.35/T on top of the basic disposal charge.  Waste recycling sites usually take mixed waste in for sorting at around that price. I am aware council contracts for household bin waste collections get a vastly discounted price. Allowing waste to be 'dumped' for free at CA sites encourages tradesman to tip there instead of treating waste disposal as one of their overheads of their business. We end up paying for it in the end as extra costs to our councils. Something has to give unless you have one of Corbyns magic money trees. 

4 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Why is it outrageous? That is like saying its outrageous shops charge you for food or water companies for supplying water because its necessary for survival.

The market rate is usually in excess of £110 /T as landfill tax is £91.35/T on top of the basic disposal charge.  Waste recycling sites usually take mixed waste in for sorting at around that price. I am aware council contracts for household bin waste collections get a vastly discounted price. Allowing waste to be 'dumped' for free at CA sites encourages tradesman to tip there instead of treating waste disposal as one of their overheads of their business. We end up paying for it in the end as extra costs to our councils. Something has to give unless you have one of Corbyns magic money trees. 

Is that the same money tree May used to find the money for the DUP?

Edited by iansheff

The C tax we pay currently permits us to dispose of a list of  various items at the dump sites.

I'm of the opinion that the list will be chipped away at. Eventually the council will want us to pay to take anything to the dump site.

Defra  is looking in to the issues.

3 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Restrict what can be taken to the tip - it is already, but if you make it harder and harder for Joe public they'll either fly tip it - which as Janus shows is on the increase - or burn it which isn't ideal either. Failing that, cut council tax bills and end the charade that they have to do something.

27 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Restrict what can be taken to the tip - it is already, but if you make it harder and harder for Joe public they'll either fly tip it - which as Janus shows is on the increase - or burn it which isn't ideal either. Failing that, cut council tax bills and end the charade that they have to do something.

Explain why it is difficult? There are plenty of permitted waste companies to take waste to or that will collect it from you. Its the illegal companies or builders that often fly tip rather than individual members of the public. that are causing the problem.  

As I said, councils only have to take domestic bin waste, they don't have to take anything else. What bit about that is confusing? If it isn't in your bin they don't have to take it for free. 

5 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Central government (conservative) cuts local government funding, and you somehow manage to blame Corbyn for it...  Austerity is a choice, not an necessity, there's no good reason for councils to be starved of cash like this.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

How can they possibly cut CC bills.  Central funding has been slashed, whilst councils are given ever expanding lists of responsibilities.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Central government (conservative) cuts local government funding, and you somehow manage to blame Corbyn for it...  Austerity is a choice, not an necessity, there's no good reason for councils to be starved of cash like this.

How can they possibly cut CC bills.  Central funding has been slashed, whilst councils are given ever expanding lists of responsibilities.

I haven't blamed Corbyn if you read. I asked if people expect there to be a magic money tree  such as Corbyn seems to have. He's the one that comes up will silly comments on ending austerity as though there is no budget to balance.  It is nothing to do with budgets anyway. Councils ARE NOT OBLIGED to deal with anything other than domestic waste. As I have already said; construction / demolition waste is not in that category, its a different waste classification. C&D waste is controlled waste whereas household waste isn't until it has been collected by the council. 

28 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

I haven't blamed Corbyn if you read. I asked if people expect there to be a magic money tree  such as Corbyn seems to have. He's the one that comes up will silly comments on ending austerity as though there is no budget to balance.  It is nothing to do with budgets anyway. Councils ARE NOT OBLIGED to deal with anything other than domestic waste. As I have already said; construction / demolition waste is not in that category, its a different waste classification. C&D waste is controlled waste whereas household waste isn't until it has been collected by the council. 

Which is why we have the current problem.

Councils are not required to take commercial waste (and they therefore have no money allocated to offer that service). Therefore they have to charge if they do provide it. Add to that our commitment to increase recycling and reduce landfill and the decision to tax landfill in order to put people off from adding to it.

Disposal to land becomes more and more expensive. So there is an incentive for some people to avoid these “overheads” by fly tipping.

It’s very annoying that these actions with good intentions cause other problems at an even bigger cost.

One effect, which is particularly sad, is where people fly tip onto private land. The landowner has the  inconvenience and cost of having the waste removed, plus the high cost of disposal of the waste to landfill. A double whammy.

1 hour ago, Eater Sundae said:

Which is why we have the current problem.

Councils are not required to take commercial waste (and they therefore have no money allocated to offer that service). Therefore they have to charge if they do provide it. Add to that our commitment to increase recycling and reduce landfill and the decision to tax landfill in order to put people off from adding to it.

Disposal to land becomes more and more expensive. So there is an incentive for some people to avoid these “overheads” by fly tipping.

It’s very annoying that these actions with good intentions cause other problems at an even bigger cost.

One effect, which is particularly sad, is where people fly tip onto private land. The landowner has the  inconvenience and cost of having the waste removed, plus the high cost of disposal of the waste to landfill. A double whammy.

What?!!!!  Councils like anyone else have to charge because they have to pay?  What is not obvious about that? What is wrong with driving another few street to a site that is designed to take commercial waste? It will more than likely be closer than the CA site.  What makes you think its preferable to 'dump' waste at a CA site other than hoping to get rid of waste for free instead of paying for it.? 

Its a double whammy if 'we' all have to pay for commercial waste to be deposited at a CA site, can't you see that? 

The EA are going round checking to see what waste producers are doing with their waste.  Granted they can only scratch the surface. Householders are also starting to be prosecuted for using illegal waste contractors if their waste is found fly tipped in an effort to ensure they check who is handling their waste. 

What makes you think fly tipped waste goes to landfill? It more than likely doesn't. It really does not make sense for you to say waste goes to landfill when you haven't got a clue to what happens to it. What makes you think it isn't treated as all other waste is? Please find out the facts, you might be surprised. 

4 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Austerity is not a budgetary necessity, nor has it gone anyway towards balancing the budget.  It's simply a means of transferring wealth from the poor to the rich.  It's entirely ideological.

I don't believe that anyone is talking about construction and demolition waste except you.  We were talking about the local tip, where you take your old furniture and broken TV, perhaps some garden waste, or large cardboard packaging.