Garmin Virb Usb Repair

I have a Garmin virb (Ultra I think)

Works fine but the external mic socket (which goes in through the USB) is worn. It's the same socket that is used both to charge and to transfer content to a PC.

Is this repairable? How ? Via a kit ? From ebay? or where?  (That model of virb seems to be obsolete).

Or is it just something else that works for a couple of years and then has to get lobbed away?

Thanks

19 minutes ago, sharpend said:

Works fine but the external mic socket (which goes in through the USB) is worn. 

Is it actually worn?

I have found that those micro USB sockets are a ‘magnet’ for dust or fluff. I’ve had a couple that have stopped working but are fine once they have been cleaned out with a needle or blown out with compressed air.

Using a new micro USB plug will also help as there will be some wear on that.

Hmmm - Good thought. Yes is does allow some play when plugged in.

The other end (the end what you plug in) is part of another gizmo that is not easily replaced.

Having said that, the sound noise error is a static type noise. So a blast of air might be worth a shot.

Garmin is a respectable brand. I’ve had a Poundshop 2-1 micro USB splitter for 4-5 years which is used daily and there is very little wear. Unless you are plugging it and unplugging it 30 times a day I don’t think you will see much wear.

What I have encountered sometimes is that if a heavy device is dropped while still connected, the weight on the micro USB socket can distort its shape making it either hard to connect to or too loose.

Not a huge fan of Apple but their Lightning connector is a lot more robust. The fact that it can be plugged in either way up also reduces the wear and damaged caused by trying to plug it in the wrong way round.

I stick a white dot on the top of both connections to prevent me from trying to connect it upside down.

Inside the Micro USB is a very thin plate. Very carefully, using a toothpick or something similar, gently prise the plate to tighten the connection.

Don't overdo it, and you should find a much better fit.