One Particular Dvd Won't Play In Laptop?

Hi all.

It plays fine in an actual DVD player, but not when inserted into the laptop. Other DVDs are ok, and they're all region 2. After the DVD's in the laptop, it makes a funny clunky, whirry sound which doesn't happen with other DVDs. I left it for a couple of minutes to see if the laptop would eventually recognise it, but nothing. I've a HP laptop running Win 7 if that's any help.

Thanks.

Edited by TyneSoft

If it makes a funny, clunky whirry sound in your laptop but other DVDs don’t, I suspect that the disc is warped. Optical drives on laptops are generally less robust than consumer DVD players and more sensitive to bent discs.

Thanks TC. And is there anything to rectify the problem? Apart from taking a hammer to it?

Just now, TyneSoft said:

Thanks TC. And is there anything to rectify the problem? Apart from taking a hammer to it?

How precious is the DVD?

I have had success before by soaking the disc in hot water then putting it between two granite place mats (£2.99 each from Morrissons) protected by a sheet of greaseproof paper either side of the disc. Leave in a cool place overnight and the disc should return to being true.

If however, it is the only existing copy of your great grandad’s funeral service, get it copied professionally and sling the original disc. 😉

It's a film I bought for about £6.00. Granted, it's not a huge amount, but I dont really want to 'lose' it.