Whos Going To Be The New Swfc Manager? Garry Monk appointed.

8 hours ago, staninoodle said:

It took stoke some time to rid themselves of the poor buys and the ingrained tactics Pulis left behind,subsequent managers have pointed this out after theyve left the club.

There are one or two decent managers out of work,ive never hid my inclination for Pearson,I wouldnt be adverse to Moyes,ok since Everton not so good,but hes taken on some jobs where time and opportunity where against him,I still rate him highly as a coach.

Then Karanka,mysteriously sacked at forest and yet moved them upto 7th in the table?

Im not so sure about Cowley,comming here from Lincoln with a squad thats not set up to play his way,the ex Luton boss at stoke is finding life tough,there was the highly rated Paul hurst at Ipswich.........I do admire the job hes doing at Lincoln,but our fans arent the most patient,hes also being touted for the vacant Huddersfield job,with his release fee rumoured to be 500K.

Rowett has stated hed like the job,nothing against him,decent manager,likes to play counter attacking football and has had a degree of success without achieving anything,but got Derby close.

According to twitter,DC has only considered 3 managers,Bullen,Houghton and Pulis,its our chairman that worries me the most.

The good news in what you said there is "according to Twitter".  That's about as reliable as those click-bait football sites that infest the internet.  A platform for wannabe journo's to strut their stuff, even if it is the fabric of their own imagination.

It will be interesting to see what type of manager your megalomaniac Chairman opts for next?  Another "big-name"? or another "who the devil is that?"  Big-names bring "experience" and some reassurance that they may know what they are doing.  Although few big name managers go through a career without having been sacked for perceived failure at some point. 

Good manager?  Bad manager?  It's hard to tell based on their ability to remain in work.  It depends at what point in time you stop the clock to make such an assessment.  But, you've seen what can be done, with a big-name manager, in Steve Bruce.  My conclusion is this was an excellent signing and he made a huge difference to the club in no time at all.  But, the downside is, despite all the history and tradition and delusions of grandeur that Wednesday hold dearly, the prospect of breathing life back into Sheffield Wednesday is not one that many big-name managers, with a proud reputation, will rush to sully with a club that has underachieved for the best part of the past 20 years.

I think this is the problem with Hughton.  He's failed at better places than Sheffield Wednesday, so why would he want to tarnish his CV further by going there and grasping the poisoned chalice?  You're more likely to get a Pulis or a Mowbray, some "journeyman" manager, than a young innovative, guy who's stock is still rising.

So the alternatives then are to cast the net wider - maybe bring in some talent from the continent...well...you tried that before but got it badly wrong, but look at the likes of Farke at Norwich and Wagner (ex) Huddersfield.   There are guys out there that are chomping at the bit to try their hand in English league football.  It helps though if you choose one with a bit of personality, who can converse clearly in English and has a feint idea what he's doing.  That's where you went wrong last time imo.

The other option is..."grow your own".  And you've got the perfect organic material there, already in place, with Lee Bullen.  Knows the club inside out, loves the club, wants to be the manager (well..."Coach" is a more appropriate term - because the "managing" is done by the Thai guy upstairs).  A few weeks and a few wins ago, 99% of Owls fans seemed to want Bullen.  Now, a few defeats later, he's still a nice guy but suddenly not good enough.

I think a little patience is needed.  You've achieved nothing in the past 20 years, so waiting a little bit longer to see what Bully can do, given a run of 10 or 12 games, would be no hardship.  

Edited by DerbyTup

15 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

Ainsworth ? Now that would be popular in S2.

He's always avoided coming to Sheffield in the past. Conveniently injured every time we played his team. 

'Unknown overseas manager'.......like Carlos or Jos?

Yes like Carlos, did you miss the bit where I said "It worked in our first season" ? Obviously that's Carlos.....

8 hours ago, staninoodle said:

It took stoke some time to rid themselves of the poor buys and the ingrained tactics Pulis left behind,subsequent managers have pointed this out after theyve left the club.

There are one or two decent managers out of work,ive never hid my inclination for Pearson,I wouldnt be adverse to Moyes,ok since Everton not so good,but hes taken on some jobs where time and opportunity where against him,I still rate him highly as a coach.

Then Karanka,mysteriously sacked at forest and yet moved them upto 7th in the table?

Im not so sure about Cowley,comming here from Lincoln with a squad thats not set up to play his way,the ex Luton boss at stoke is finding life tough,there was the highly rated Paul hurst at Ipswich.........I do admire the job hes doing at Lincoln,but our fans arent the most patient,hes also being touted for the vacant Huddersfield job,with his release fee rumoured to be 500K.

Rowett has stated hed like the job,nothing against him,decent manager,likes to play counter attacking football and has had a degree of success without achieving anything,but got Derby close.

According to twitter,DC has only considered 3 managers,Bullen,Houghton and Pulis,its our chairman that worries me the most.

Wish we'd had such inconsistent buys and poor tactics that we spent 10 years in the Premier league with a cup final thrown in

22 minutes ago, redbig said:

Yes like Carlos, did you miss the bit where I said "It worked in our first season" ? Obviously that's Carlos.....

Wish we'd had such inconsistent buys and poor tactics that we spent 10 years in the Premier league with a cup final thrown in

20 years ago!, the game's moved on now, whoever gets the job has to be given time to stamp his own idea's on the team, Bruce came in and added a few loanees that did ok, but the good run was against teams (bar a couple) with nothing to play for or who were almost relegated . This season 3 wins against poor teams, and you're saying top 6! . The Huddersfield game is a winnable game as they are off form at the moment, then come more fancied sides, patience is stretched at the moment, but thats what's needed when a new guy comes in

54 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

The good news in what you said there is "according to Twitter".  That's about as reliable as those click-bait football sites that infest the internet.  A platform for wannabe journo's to strut their stuff, even if it is the fabric of their own imagination.

It will be interesting to see what type of manager your megalomaniac Chairman opts for next?  Another "big-name"? or another "who the devil is that?"  Big-names bring "experience" and some reassurance that they may know what they are doing.  Although few big name managers go through a career without having been sacked for perceived failure at some point. 

Good manager?  Bad manager?  It's hard to tell based on their ability to remain in work.  It depends at what point in time you stop the clock to make such an assessment.  But, you've seen what can be done, with a big-name manager, in Steve Bruce.  My conclusion is this was an excellent signing and he made a huge difference to the club in no time at all.  But, the downside is, despite all the history and tradition and delusions of grandeur that Wednesday hold dearly, the prospect of breathing life back into Sheffield Wednesday is not one that many big-name managers, with a proud reputation, will rush to sully with a club that has underachieved for the best part of the past 20 years.

I think this is the problem with Hughton.  He's failed at better places than Sheffield Wednesday, so why would he want to tarnish his CV further by going there and grasping the poisoned chalice?  You're more likely to get a Pulis or a Mowbray, some "journeyman" manager, than a young innovative, guy who's stock is still rising.

So the alternatives then are to cast the net wider - maybe bring in some talent from the continent...well...you tried that before but got it badly wrong, but look at the likes of Farke at Norwich and Wagner (ex) Huddersfield.   There are guys out there that are chomping at the bit to try their hand in English league football.  It helps though if you choose one with a bit of personality, who can converse clearly in English and has a feint idea what he's doing.  That's where you went wrong last time imo.

The other option is..."grow your own".  And you've got the perfect organic material there, already in place, with Lee Bullen.  Knows the club inside out, loves the club, wants to be the manager (well..."Coach" is a more appropriate term - because the "managing" is done by the Thai guy upstairs).  A few weeks and a few wins ago, 99% of Owls fans seemed to want Bullen.  Now, a few defeats later, he's still a nice guy but suddenly not good enough.

I think a little patience is needed.  You've achieved nothing in the past 20 years, so waiting a little bit longer to see what Bully can do, given a run of 10 or 12 games, would be no hardship.  

I like the fact that winning a play off final which you've failed on 9 occasions to do and condemning you to half a decade in L1 are "achieving nothing". 

4 hours ago, pintor said:

20 years ago!, the game's moved on now, whoever gets the job has to be given time to stamp his own idea's on the team, Bruce came in and added a few loanees that did ok, but the good run was against teams (bar a couple) with nothing to play for or who were almost relegated . This season 3 wins against poor teams, and you're saying top 6! . The Huddersfield game is a winnable game as they are off form at the moment, then come more fancied sides, patience is stretched at the moment, but thats what's needed when a new guy comes in

I'm not saying I'd want him, but to at the end of day he got Stoke to the Premier and they stayed there for 10 years, look at them now ?

Lot of rubbish spoken about types of football, what you supposed to do, open up and get hammered by teams who have spent 200m on players ?

Not sure there are any run away winners in this division, we'll see as the season progresses, get the manager right and we could be top 6, more likely mid table though

4 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I like the fact that winning a play off final which you've failed on 9 occasions to do and condemning you to half a decade in L1 are "achieving nothing". 

The "delusions of grandeur" bit tickled me. Have a look on the various social media outlets and all Wednesdayites are doing is saying we're not good enough, not that we "deserve this and that".

4 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

We're not very good at play-off finals, I have to agree with you.  That's why we've given up on doing it that way and got promoted via the more traditional route of finishing as Champions or runners-up.  

But we were talking about the other Sheffield club.  

The sky is blue. 

The Earth orbits the sun.

Wednesday fans live in the past. :D

1 hour ago, Moistened said:

The sky is blue. 

The Earth orbits the sun.

Wednesday fans live in the past. :D

At least we've got a past 🙂

Seeing as United fans are unique I assume once Wilders gone he'll be forgotten and never mentioned again, ever.

1 hour ago, Brooker11 said:

At least we've got a past 🙂

Seeing as United fans are unique I assume once Wilders gone he'll be forgotten and never mentioned again, ever.

Do you though? 😂 

Nah, we love the past too! We beat you 7-3, what a day that was! 

Also, who could forget the FA Cup win in 1925, and winning the first division title in 1898!

Those were the days. 

Edited by Moistened

According to the Mail on Line Wednesday are in talks with the Cowley brothers.

They've turned down a £1.4 million deal from Huddersfield.

Not sure if Wednesday can meet or better that figure.

1 hour ago, abbeyedges said:

According to the Mail on Line Wednesday are in talks with the Cowley brothers.

They've turned down a £1.4 million deal from Huddersfield.

Not sure if Wednesday can meet or better that figure.

I reckon the Cowley brothers would be a good shout, they deserve a chance at the next level and would surely be a better option than some of the merry go round managers that have been mentioned.

According to SkySports Wednesday are in advanced talks with Lincoln manager Danny Cowley about the vacant managerial position at Hillsborough.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11801600/sheffield-wednesday-in-talks-with-danny-cowley-over-managerial-role

Edited by iansheff