Whos Going To Be The New Swfc Manager? Garry Monk appointed.

14 hours ago, staninoodle said:

Im aware of whats been said,and my reply is always the same,has he ever been asked? Im pretty certain he hasnt

Judging by the article he hasn't. Should be asked though, you never know. It would be great if he would take a chance and give it a go

On 15/07/2019 at 23:37, Ontarian1981 said:

Warnock would take them up into the PL, providing he could get his own way with the players he wants.

No idea what his Cardiff obligations are though.

It took Warnock 8 seasons and a lot of money to get United back there.  Some folks conveniently overlook that little point.  There's no denying his track record for promotions though, but you'd have to contend also with the fact that he's a self-appointed expert at most things and has previously said how he'd love to be Wednesday's manager and take them down.  I'd avoid him like the plague if I were you.

The mood is changing then as regards Bullen for manager?  

A few weeks ago it was broadly two camps...

"Give him the job - permanently"

and

"Give him the job, for a while, and let's see how he goes"

But now we have a third camp...

"Get someone else in quick"  

And all because of a couple of defeats.  

For what it's worth, I think you do need an experienced manager to get you out of the Championship, and I don't think that's Lee Bullen, good guy though he is.  I think you saw, last season, what a good experienced manager can do with a squad in no time at all - and equally, what a clueless inexperienced manager can do with a squad before that.  

One thing I've heard a lot of Owls fans saying is that they don't want Bully to get the job, because at some point all managers fail, and they don't want him to get the sack.  They'd rather him stay in his current supporting role and have another manager come in over the top of him, so that Bully remains part of the club.  To fans with this point of view I'd say, "that's nice" but the reality could be somewhat different.  There is no guarantee whatsoever that if they brought in a new management team there would still be a job for Bully.  I know it worked out that way under Bruce and his entourage, but the next incoming management team may not see any need for his services.  So, it's lovely, but naive, to think, "don't give him the job because we don't want him to get the sack eventually".  

I wouldn't worry too much about personalities or sentiments tbh.  I think the club just needs to take an objective view of what is needed to get them promoted to the Prem - then look at how far short of that they are currently.  A good manager can make huge differences - look no further than S2 for a prime example of that.

5 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

The mood is changing then as regards Bullen for manager?  

A few weeks ago it was broadly two camps...

"Give him the job - permanently"

and

"Give him the job, for a while, and let's see how he goes"

But now we have a third camp...

"Get someone else in quick"  

And all because of a couple of defeats.  

For what it's worth, I think you do need an experienced manager to get you out of the Championship, and I don't think that's Lee Bullen, good guy though he is.  I think you saw, last season, what a good experienced manager can do with a squad in no time at all - and equally, what a clueless inexperienced manager can do with a squad before that.  

One thing I've heard a lot of Owls fans saying is that they don't want Bully to get the job, because at some point all managers fail, and they don't want him to get the sack.  They'd rather him stay in his current supporting role and have another manager come in over the top of him, so that Bully remains part of the club.  To fans with this point of view I'd say, "that's nice" but the reality could be somewhat different.  There is no guarantee whatsoever that if they brought in a new management team there would still be a job for Bully.  I know it worked out that way under Bruce and his entourage, but the next incoming management team may not see any need for his services.  So, it's lovely, but naive, to think, "don't give him the job because we don't want him to get the sack eventually".  

I wouldn't worry too much about personalities or sentiments tbh.  I think the club just needs to take an objective view of what is needed to get them promoted to the Prem - then look at how far short of that they are currently.  A good manager can make huge differences - look no further than S2 for a prime example of that.

Nigel Pearson has issues. Remember the bizarre episode when an opposition player bumped into him and his reply when asked about it. Didn't last long in his next job, personality issues again. Wednesday should get him.

21 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Nigel Pearson has issues. Remember the bizarre episode when an opposition player bumped into him and his reply when asked about it. Didn't last long in his next job, personality issues again. Wednesday should get him.

Wouldn't be the worst candidate. 

It needs sorting one way or the other

On 26/08/2019 at 15:20, Ridgewalk said:

I don't know the guy and I'm not sure I'd want to!  I think your assessment of him is probably accurate.  There's something about "anger management" going on there and unless he's had therapy for that and is in recovery then it's not a great idea for him personally, or others around him,  to be in a stressful situation, which is what football management is.  

According to what I have read today, Wednesday are lining up a move for former Middlesbrough boss Tony Pulis, according to The Sun. 

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday-line-up-move-for-61-y-o-manager-as-bullens-potential-replacement/

Edited by iansheff

Pulis? 

It wouldn't be pretty, but he could get you challenging I suppose. 

Edited by Moistened

Don't get him...great guy but stuck in the defensive mode of playing my baggies m8 was well chuffed he buggared off...Think you may struggle to get goals like we did...Then again were struggling now but l think it may be a big mistake on your part..

Hel struggle to score with our strikers,Winnall apart they average around 8 per season,and were currently playing one striker LOL

8 hours ago, Mooks said:

Don't get him...great guy but stuck in the defensive mode of playing my baggies m8 was well chuffed he buggared off...Think you may struggle to get goals like we did...Then again were struggling now but l think it may be a big mistake on your part..

He kept Stoke in the Premiership for a long time, no mean feat these days.