Fuel Contamination?

Engine warning lights come on though, and people fill up every 300 - 400 miles, so associating the two things is a leap, correlation, not causation.

38 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Engine warning lights come on though, and people fill up every 300 - 400 miles, so associating the two things is a leap, correlation, not causation.

Sure. I'm not dissenting. I'm contrasting, based on personal experience.

But in the absence of previous (no warning lights/misfires ever, and no earlier fills at the location, in my case), it'd be rather hard for you to dismiss an inference of causation out of hand.

Lest you believe in coincidences, that is.

Edited by L00b

I took my Peugeot 5008 to France several times and one occasion I received the "Engine fault, stop etc." warning. I limped back to our accommodation and called breakdown and was put through to the AA, it transpires they have several vehicles and operators based in France for the summer. He told me it might be caused by the change in diesel as engines are set differently dependant on country due to the difference in fuel additives. He reset the warnings and it didn't re-occur.

As the OP hasn't replied, I'm curious to know what the result of any further investigation revealed - and also why NO-ONE else has reported a problem?

39 minutes ago, max said:

He told me it might be caused by the change in diesel as engines are set differently dependant on country due to the difference in fuel additives. He reset the warnings and it didn't re-occur.

Not sure about diesel, but petrol in France has greater levels of added ethanol than in the UK. Not good if you have an older vehicle.

2 hours ago, L00b said:

Sure. I'm not dissenting. I'm contrasting, based on personal experience.

But in the absence of previous (no warning lights/misfires ever, and no earlier fills at the location, in my case), it'd be rather hard for you to dismiss an inference of causation out of hand.

Lest you believe in coincidences, that is.

Most things in life are coincidence.  But that aside, misfiring is at least related to the fuel system, unlike an engine warning light that could be indicative of many different things.

13 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Not sure about diesel, but petrol in France has greater levels of added ethanol than in the UK. Not good if you have an older vehicle.

They might have Biodiesel out there, or a Biodiesel mix.

I know my car has a warning inside the filler cap about using Biodiesel, think it's bad for the injection system.