Fuel Contamination?

I've just filled my car with diesel at a supermarket petrol station on Abbeydale Road and within a mile or so an 'engine fault: have vehicle repaired' warning came up (no prior problems in 3 years of ownership).

I'm having the car checked tomorrow and obviously it's too soon to diagnose a direct link - but just a heads up. Please make sure when filling up you  (a) make sure you keep a receipt and (b) report any issues to the forecourt owners. I'm guessing they'll only be aware of potential problems (and take responsibility) if there's a pattern of similar occurrences.

Hmmm... :huh:

At a risk of stating the obvious but...

... are you sure you've replace the fuel filler cap correctly?

If not the tank could be being vented to the atmosphere which could trigger the check engine light.

Disclaimer: Advice given solely as a DIY mechanic! :)

Thanks Mr B - yes,  after a quick google I checked that the cap was on properly (it's attached to the flap, so I just checked for debris that could prevent a proper seal). The petrol light come on just before refuelling (~50miles left), and I only filled until the pump clicked off. Definitely filled with diesel.

It seems likely that it's connected in some way to having just filled up, but I can't be sure yet that it's due to the fuel itself (hence stopping short of naming the company in question). Mainly I wanted to make sure that if anyone has a similar issue it's logged appropriately in case there's a common denominator!

Cheers, T

Edited by tommythecat
words

How low was the diesel when you filled up?

Sometimes in an older vehicle a low fuel tank concentrates all the crap in the bottom of the tank. Usually there will be a r at the fuel pickup and another between the fuel pump and the injectors. Was the car running OK when the light came on? Some modern diesels will give engine warnings if the fuel filter is contaminated.

Unless it was ‘bad fuel’ (unlikely in 2019) I suspect that flushing out your diesel filter should cure the problem.

Thanks TCH. The fuel light appeared a mile or two before refuelling (around 50 miles left according to the car). It's a Citroen C4 (2015), running fine beforehand. No obvious running problems afterwards, other than the engine warning and 'eco mode' being disabled.

alchresearch does Peugeot and Citroen diagnostics so may have some idea what error conditions will cause an engine fault warning after fuelling.

Of course you have to consider that this may be completely unrelated to your fuel stop. A 2015 diesel will have an OBD2 port. If you know someone with a fault reader you could see what that comes up with.

Supermarket fuel keeps coming up on forums I avoid them.

5 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

alchresearch does Peugeot and Citroen diagnostics so may have some idea what error conditions will cause an engine fault warning after fuelling.

Of course you have to consider that this may be completely unrelated to your fuel stop. A 2015 diesel will have an OBD2 port. If you know someone with a fault reader you could see what that comes up with.

Good point. I have a bluetooth OBD2 doodah somewhere - will have a hunt around.

11 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

It won’t damage your car but it is less efficient.

My car does 510 miles* to the yellow light on ASDA diesel. It does 550 miles on Costco diesel. That is somewhere between 7-8% increase. Branded fuel is about 4-5% more expensive than supermarket fuel so even allowing for that it is worth buying. Even more so at Costco where it is 4-5% cheaper than supermarket fuel. Win win!

(*based on multiple return trips to Heathrow T5 business parking, overnight on cruise control.)

Edited by Top Cats Hat

12 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

I've been using supermarket fuels for 2 decades and never had a single issue. 

This is a good post in relation 

All crude in to UK refineries is the same (there is an established acceptable range for certain attributes). All petrol out the other end is the same (within an accepted range).

The tankers line up, fill up with petrol and then add 'additives' relevant to who's buying the petrol. Therefore the base petrolis all the same there is no concept of Shell say geeting the 'good' stuff.

None of the oil majors owns tankers anymore. They are all sub-contacted out. They may carry an oil companies livery but they don't own or run the tankers. I'm not sure if Tescos own their own tanker or not. Don't think it matters.

All sellers are party to a net fuel agreement whereby they swap fuel if someone has an unexpected shortage. They are one or two fuels outside the agreement such as Optimax but nearly all are in it.

So the only difference between supermarket fuel and branded fuel is the 'additives' unless you happen to be filing up with swapped fuel in which case you could be buying Tescos fuel at a Shell station or vice versa.

The oil majors have never made any claims in their advertising that these 'additives' do anything as if they did they would have to prove it.

Some people including HJ insist that using 'good' fuel increase engine life some people like me say its all nonsense. You pays your money and you takes your choice...

As above used Morrison’s at catcliffe,Beverly and Brid for years , 6 diesels all did 150000 plus never had an issue ...on a note all where serviced regularly...

58 minutes ago, tommythecat said:

Thanks TCH. The fuel light appeared a mile or two before refuelling (around 50 miles left according to the car). It's a Citroen C4 (2015), running fine beforehand. No obvious running problems afterwards, other than the engine warning and 'eco mode' being disabled.

Personally, I wouldn't let my tank get that low again.

I did in my last E220 merc, really low, and it didn't go well at all. (saying that, had abround 350k on it!