Broadband Speed Has Dropped Dramatically

And since there are 2 PCs available, test the speed on both.  If both have suffered the same drop in speed then it's almost certainly not the PCs (you could also test on a smartphone).  If using wireless then do the tests whilst in the same room if possible.

Can someone answer this question regarding the wi fi speed.  Is there something in the computer that could be faulty therefore not allowing the wi fi speed?

plug the router into the first socket in the house, unplug everything else from your phone line, let it connect up, connect your computer or laptop directly to the router via a cable...

Run speed tests again...

1 hour ago, smary said:

Can someone answer this question regarding the wi fi speed.  Is there something in the computer that could be faulty therefore not allowing the wi fi speed?

You’ve been asked more than once if you have done a speed test with a mobile phone or an iPad (or someone else’s mobile phone or iPad)

This will tell you whether it is the router or your computer that is slow.

@smary From your previous posts, I'm guessing you won't be able to do this, but is there any chance of posting your router statistics? If you need help to do this - who is your ISP and what router do you have?

11 hours ago, smary said:

People have given you several steps to take to figure out where the fault most likely lies.

There are various possible things that could result in an apparent reduced transfer rate over wifi, but simply guessing at where the problem is won't help.

If you are running Windows 10 do you log in to the machine directly (local account) or do you login to a Microsoft account? Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to push out Windows Updates if you use the latter method of logging in.

I am sorry if I am being a bit vague - .  I will try and answer as best I can.  

The laptop which is wireless has a reasonable speed so does my android.  My desktop is the problem.  Laptop and android speed about 48 the desktop 9.  I run the test with each one individually not all switched on together.  From this I have to come to the conclusion its not the router.

I can't connect the desktop to the router - would have to get an very long ethernet cable.

I am running windows 10 and log in directly - not into a Microsoft account at least I don't think I do.  I just switch it on and away I go.

Edited by smary

So that testing would indicate that the problem really is with the desktop and nothing to do with your cable provider.

It could be a hardware fault, it could be a configuration issue.  Could you move the desktop physically to the room with the router in it, I know this will be a faff, but it might help to rule things out.

The laptop test, was it from the same location as the desktop?

yes it would be a big faff and would need assistance.  The laptop wasnt in exactly the same room but I would estimate the same distance away.  But will give laptop a try tomorrow.

I have got a spare wireless adapter which I used on an old desktop(the one with the problem has an inbuilt wireless component)  I did wonder if I should plug that into a spare usb and see if that improves things!!!  

22 minutes ago, smary said:

I have got a spare wireless adapter which I used on an old desktop(the one with the problem has an inbuilt wireless component)  I did wonder if I should plug that into a spare usb and see if that improves things!!!  

Be careful!

By doing that you may screw up your settings and have to reconfigure stuff to get it working on the built in wireless.

My guess is there's something running in the background on the desktop, causing a slowdown..

You said you have tested each device individually, but the next question would be - with the desktop turned on, booted up and connected to the internet, does the speed-test on your other devices still read correct? or does it cause the speed to drop for all devices when the desktop is on?

If the speed is still good on the other devices (while desktop is turned on), and only slow on desktop it's likely something faulty or misconfigured on your desktop..

if the speed slows down for ALL devices (while desktop is turned on), then it's likely something running on the desktop, that's using your bandwidth, (Could be Windows Updates downloading, things like ITV Player App, BBC IPlayer App, Torrents, etc....)