Broadband Speed Has Dropped Dramatically

If the card came lose it would just stop working (and most likely blue screen the entire PC)...

Edit - and many desktops can be specified to have an internal wifi card.  Mine does right here, came built that way from scan.

Edited by Cyclone

From experience, that is not always, but yes, a distinct possibility.

I have a feeling that @smary is unlikely to have a custom built machine - again a possibility, but unlikely - and consumer-grade machines from Currys are very unlikely to have them fitted as standard

You are correct it isn't a custom built - just a common Dell Inspiron i3 and it came with wifi fitted.

I have done option 5 as suggested and the speed is shown as 72 Mp which BT say is the correct speed to the house.  It then drops to 45 on the laptop - 9 on the desktop.  Both laptop and desktop were in the same room when I ran the test, but not both switched on at the same time.

I conclude from everyones comments the problem is with the desktop - next problem is how to solve it!!!

Thanks for that information, @smary - very useful. My next question is how old is the desktop - can't be too old if it is running W10, but is this its' original OS, and out of curiosity,  what is the Dell model number - i3 is a processor type identity.

What speed have you previously had on the desktop in its normal set-up? I assume you haven't intentionally changed any settings you don't understand?

My money is still on component (wi-fi adapter) failure, but as @Ghozer has said, without being sat in front of the machine, we are second-guessing slightly

PS - I am getting old, forgot firms such as Dell did 'custom' builds.🙂

Edited by RollingJ
Added comment.

1 hour ago, smary said:

You are correct it isn't a custom built - just a common Dell Inspiron i3 and it came with wifi fitted.

I have done option 5 as suggested and the speed is shown as 72 Mp which BT say is the correct speed to the house.  It then drops to 45 on the laptop - 9 on the desktop.  Both laptop and desktop were in the same room when I ran the test, but not both switched on at the same time.

I conclude from everyones comments the problem is with the desktop - next problem is how to solve it!!!

As a point of interest, the speed 'drop' is probably a result of the wi-fi adapters maximum. You will only get greater by connecting directly with an ethernet cable.

4 hours ago, smary said:

72Mbps as the wifi speed is very low.  And would result in an actual measured speed of around the 45 you see (when it's working well).  Your wifi speed is unrelated to your broadband speed and should generally be considerably higher, mine for example is showing right now 175Mbps (should be higher to be honest, but it's on the 5Ghz network and quite far away).

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

As a point of interest, the speed 'drop' is probably a result of the wi-fi adapters maximum. You will only get greater by connecting directly with an ethernet cable.

Not the case, it was working faster previously, so something has changed.

Can you check out if you are using p2p function on Windows 10 by following this guide:

http://www.techkhoji.com/stop-windows-10-from-using-your-upload-bandwidth/

Some other tips here:

https://www.techzac.com/increase-internet-speed-in-windows-10/

Edited by swarfendor437

Swarfendor437 - I have tried to follow your instructions - on step 3 (choose how your updates are delivered)- the  PCs on my local network is selected.

The computer is relatively new about 2 years Inspiron 3668.

I feel that you chaps are spending a lot of time on this problem for which I am very grateful - unfortunately I am not that computer literate so you will forgive me if I sound 'thick'.

Also on step 3 the option allow downloads from other PC's is ON

Edited by smary

@smary Much as I would love to help you, and had it been on almost any forum but this,we would probably have at least determined the problem by now, the constant  put-downs by a certain poster mean I am reluctantly bowing out.

I sincerely hope you resolve the issue, but I will not be posting any further contribution.

It's possible that you're running the Dell support software that automatically installs and changes things and that SmartByte has been installed recently.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukdhs1/sln309274/smartbyte-application-may-contribute-to-slow-network-performance-and-audio-issues-with-inspiron-systems?lang=en

It's know to cause network problems apparently.

I wouldn't just follow the instructions on that article though, it has you updating the bios and all sorts, first of all, find out if smartbyte is running by jumping to step 7.  If it's there, then jump to step 8

When the following steps do not resolve the issue, disable SmartByte:

1. Press and hold the Windows (Windows Button) key, and then press the q key.
  2. In the Search box, type smartbyte.
  3. Touch or click SmartByte (Trusted Microsoft Store app).
  4. Touch or click the slider to the right of SmartByte to turn the SmartByte application off or on.
  5. Test network performance and record the result.

Hi Cyclone - just done that and the speed is showing as 28.3 with the Smartbyte on - with it off its 37.9 - on the internet broadband speed check its showing as still 9 ish - why the difference . So don't know what has changed, but very happy about it. Should I disable Smartbyte?

I should also say re your comments about your speed - I live in a small village in Cornwall and we have only had a mobile phone signal for 3 years so am over the moon with my 72 Mb.  You city people don't know how lucky you are!!!lol

Thank you RollingJ for your input -

Edited by smary

I'd definitely disabled smartbyte, yes.

Out of interest, which service are you using to check the speed and have you tried any others?