Broadband Speed Has Dropped Dramatically

On 17/07/2019 at 06:38, RollingJ said:

@smary From your previous posts, I'm guessing you won't be able to do this, but is there any chance of posting your router statistics? If you need help to do this - who is your ISP and what router do you have?

9 hours ago, smary said:

I am sorry if I am being a bit vague - .  I will try and answer as best I can.  

The laptop which is wireless has a reasonable speed so does my android.  My desktop is the problem.  Laptop and android speed about 48 the desktop 9.  I run the test with each one individually not all switched on together.  From this I have to come to the conclusion its not the router.

I can't connect the desktop to the router - would have to get an very long ethernet cable.

I am running windows 10 and log in directly - not into a Microsoft account at least I don't think I do.  I just switch it on and away I go.

OK  - forget my suggestion above, the fairly obvious culprit is the desktop.

I have just looked in the task manager - services - and there are loads of things shown as running - but I would know which I need to disable its a mine field!!!

There will always be many things running in the background, don't go just stopping things.

I think it's unlikely that it's something else using bandwidth tbh, you should know if you are running netflix or iplayer, they don't run silently, hidden away.  Windows update is a possibility, but if you've left the PC running for a while any download there should have had chance to complete.

Basic thing to check, signal strength and network connection details.  I think you said win 10, so I'll just link you some instructions, I'm still running win 7 here.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/108514-view-wireless-network-signal-strength-windows-10-a.html

2 out of the 3 bars are showing!

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I think it's unlikely that it's something else using bandwidth tbh, you should know if you are running netflix or iplayer, they don't run silently, hidden away.  Windows update is a possibility, but if you've left the PC running for a while any download there should have had chance to complete.

Uh, Actually - Sky/iPlayer etc DO run a service in the background, and you are a P2P host for any of the shows you have downloaded to watch (if downloading not streaming)

It's how it's run since day 1

And you should be aware that you're using these services, they don't install by magic, and the upload p2p should be capped and not be limiting the download speed.

1 hour ago, smary said:

2 out of the 3 bars are showing!

Can you try "option 5" of the different ways to view the signal strength, and also note the Speed that it says?

3 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

And you should be aware that you're using these services, they don't install by magic, and the upload p2p should be capped and not be limiting the download speed.

Then there's Windows Updates, if the Desktop isn't used very often, it'll pretty much start checking and downloading/preparing updates within a few minutes of booting...

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

but if you've left the PC running for a while any download there should have had chance to complete.

Yes, hence why I mentioned leaving it to give it a chance to complete.

the desktop is on constantly so don't think its the updates.

13 minutes ago, smary said:

the desktop is on constantly so don't think its the updates.

Fair - then I would potentially be looking at either..

a Misconfigration / incorrect drivers for the WiFi
or a possible fault....

Without being with / sat at the machine, I couldn't say at this point..

Can you follow the option 5 instructions from the link and make a note of the speed?

If I may ask - What make/model is the laptop, and as I'm unaware of many (if any) desktops that come with wi-fi installed by default, who fitted the relevant adapter?

Has the adapter been checked to ensure it somehow hasn't come out of its seating.

The more I read in this confusing thread, the more I think there is something simple being missed

I assume this a recent problem, and that previously you have been getting the same kind of speed on this machine as on others?