Sheffield gales 1962

We were about to celebrate our 4th Wedding Anniversary in Feb 1962.The sound of slates sliding down the rooftop and crashing into the conservatory below jolted us awake.Our house was on a hill on Lowburn Road, and when we looked out of the window we could see the extensive damage to the rooftops of the houses below. We had been trying to start a family for 2 years. Maybe the shock of that night jolted something in me,because 10 months later I had my 1st child! A girl.

Did you call her Gail

(Gale.... gettit... Please yourself)

Did you call her Gail

(Gale.... gettit... Please yourself)

:P Never crossed my mind! :hihi: I do know someone who after having several kids she called her last child Norma,because ,she said she was having NO MORE.:D

I remember the night before, sat on our front wall with the other kids in our road and talking about how weird the sky looked. Next day all hell broke loose. Next door's chimney went through the roof, demolishing their girls bedroom, luckily she was out at work. My dad was out trying to lash down the telegraph pole at the top of our drive, before that came down through our front window. The rest of the day he was out with the ladders helping folk fix their roofs. We kids had a great time, flying umbrellas on clothes line - best kites ever. Next day dad took us out in the car to see the wreckage of pre-fabs - up parkwood springs I think. I still have a copy of the chart from the anemometer at Weston Park - ink all over the place - wind speed over 100 mph.

I was about 4 years old and lived at Heeley, the wind broke my bedroom window, there was glass everywhere.

I was 7 at the time and lived in the tower blocks on Andover street in Pitsmoor. Can just about remember how the flats were swaying,was told later that if you stood outside you could actualy see them moving.

No ones mentioned all the pre-fabs that blew down on Sky Edge!!

I may have already posted this, cant remember, but I lived on Ravensworth Road at the time, Dad came home from work saying he had nearly been hit by numerous falling slates that were flying like frisbies (except of course that they didnt exist at the time) he and his workmates were watching out for each other and kept dodging into entries when the 'blitz' was at its worst.

The next morning when I went to school (Carbrook), at the end of Carltonville Road where it met Attercliffe Common the whole side of a house was blown down. Apparently the chimney on the gable end took the full force of the wind and took the whole gable end with it.

Anybody else remember this?

Was that the same year there was bad snow falls

I feel pretty sure it was. What a winter. I remember it well.

I feel pretty sure it was. What a winter. I remember it well.

Our 1st child was born on Dec 8th 1962.The Ist few weeks of her life was the bad winter and deep snowdrifts.There was a shortage of fuel and deliveries, due to the adverse conditions,but because we had a tiny baby we were given priority by the local authority to receive an adequate supply of coke to heat our home.

I was living in Manners Street, Neepsend behind Stones brewery when the gale hit. What sticks in my mind was my dad donning a world war 2 helmet to go to the outside lavvie, our chimney depositing itself on my sisters bed minutes after she had gone to get in to bed with my parents and being evacuated to a church on burngreave (can't remenber the name but its on the main road to Spittal hill) for a few nights.

Now then...I must know you.

I lived at 26 manners St. at the time of the Gale,and was evacuated to the church (I remember being on Panorama) AND went to Woodside Primary. I'm in Australia now.PM me

It has been mentioned in another thread about the terrible gale that devastated Sheffield in the 60s, it sprang up in the mid afternoon, and carried on into the following day, an imense amount of damage was done, with the city centre looking like the night of the blitz. Does anyone have any memories of this, I was working at a shop on Glossop rd at the time called Sharmans, a slate from a property across the road smashed the main window and glass was scattered all over the shop, luckily, no one was hurt. Amazingly, the path of the gale seemed to hit Sheffield only, and hardly any surrounding town was touched.

I was up Eastbank Road the following day and there were trees and debris all over the place. I woman approached me and my friend in a real panic and asked if we had seen a bin lid with no 18 painted on it - honest !

It was before I was born but I have a pic of my dad standing by his car, the chimney had blown off and smashed through the car roof, it was on Gertrude Street, S6.

i remember the sheffield gale my mother kept me off of school that day .ican remember my older brother having to go and rescue his vespa scooter from two gardens away .i.the next day we visited my aunt who lived on the arbourthorne the prefabs near the arbourthorne hotel were completley flattened the gale also blew off our chimney pot