Sheffield gales 1962

I can still see the school yard with all the debris strewn all over the school yard. windows blown out slates off big holes in the roofs we then had to have tarpaolin over the roof for ages no wonder I still don't like the wind.

In 1962, my wife & I were working at Chesterfield Hospital. We experienced strong winds that night; the lift shaft roof was lifted off, and "skated" along the main roof ridge, unroofing the Children's ward (Nightingale). I can't remember whether we were in Medical Staff Quarters, or whether we'd moved out to our cottage by then.

i can remember going up and looking at the damage i was about 8 years old i lived on the wybourn ( still do) stuff everywhere

me too i lived in a prefab on skyedge ave , i remember holding the ladder whilst my dad tried to nail the roof down, you could actually see the roof lift from inside.........................ron

the prefabs on sky edge had pebbles set into the outer walls, other than picture sheffield.com, can anyone suggest where I'll find a picture of one?

There were quite a few housing developments in sheffield with the pebbled walls. I think they wer built by Vic Hallam. Lowedges, Scowerdon maybe? Im cant remember exactly. Anyone remember the flats at Hollinsend / Gleadless they had the bottoms of glass bottles stuck in the cement.

Just a story about someone I knew. The night of the gales the couple were lying in bed and the chimney came down. It crashed through the ceiling and landed on the bed and the lady was killed.

Just a story about someone I knew. The night of the gales the couple were lying in bed and the chimney came down. It crashed through the ceiling and landed on the bed and the lady was killed.

I lived on Ravensworth road at the time and dad came home from work saying "for gods sake dont go out, its like the blitz out there, slates are raining down"

The next morning it had eased but on my way to school, picking my way through the slates on Carltonville Road, when I got to the end, my school Carbrook was just up on the left. Across the road the whole gable end of a house had been blown off, the chimney took the full force of the wind and the gable with it. Amazingly I dont think anyone was hurt but it must have been terrifying lying in bed and then suddenly the wall dissapears!

I lived on Ravensworth road at the time and dad came home from work saying "for gods sake dont go out, its like the blitz out there, slates are raining down"

The next morning it had eased but on my way to school, picking my way through the slates on Carltonville Road, when I got to the end, my school Carbrook was just up on the left. Across the road the whole gable end of a house had been blown off, the chimney took the full force of the wind and the gable with it. Amazingly I dont think anyone was hurt but it must have been terrifying lying in bed and then suddenly the wall dissapears!

I have told in a previous posting about the horror of the slates scattered round the Carltonville Road area.

My uncle, insisted on wearing his crash helmet to go just across the yard to the loo. He was laughed at by the family, but they laughed on the other side of their faces when he came in, seconds later, white-as-a-sheet... A slate had embedded itself in his crash helmet. scary, scary stuff!

PT

:confused: I was at Newfield Secondry School at the time of the Sheffield Gales, it totally tore of the school roof.

I can remember seeing a peice of guttering flying through the air and it embedded in the embankment out side the main doors.

We were kept at school until 12.30pm and we thought we would hae had the day off, what a disapointment. The school was ony closed a day or so, good workmen those days, to the dissapointment of us. :rant::confused:

I was living in Manners Street, Neepsend behind Stones brewery when the gale hit. What sticks in my mind was my dad donning a world war 2 helmet to go to the outside lavvie, our chimney depositing itself on my sisters bed minutes after she had gone to get in to bed with my parents and being evacuated to a church on burngreave (can't remenber the name but its on the main road to Spittal hill) for a few nights.

Was that the same year there was bad snow falls

I was living in Manners Street, Neepsend behind Stones brewery when the gale hit. What sticks in my mind was my dad donning a world war 2 helmet to go to the outside lavvie, our chimney depositing itself on my sisters bed minutes after she had gone to get in to bed with my parents and being evacuated to a church on burngreave (can't remenber the name but its on the main road to Spittal hill) for a few nights.

We were about to celebrate our 4th Wedding Anniversary in Feb 1962.The sound of slates sliding down the rooftop and crashing into the conservatory below jolted us awake.Our house was on a hill on Lowburn Road, and when we looked out of the window we could see the extensive damage to the rooftops of the houses below. We had been trying to start a family for 2 years. Maybe the shock of that night changed something in me,because 10 months later I had my 1st child! A girl.