Sheffield gales 1962

I was 8 at the time of the gales and lived with my mother and brothers and sisters next to a laundry on Weston Street. The gales blew the bathroom wall down and we had to shelter in the Vestry Hall at Burngreave. There was a lot more families in the same predicament, eventually we were rehoused on Shiregreen.

i was born in may 62, so my poor mother must have had a hard time getting around,cant ask her though because she died in 1981.

I remember that day well.....

....the vicarage death just a street over.........a lot of damage......we met ( i was with a couple of friends) an Australian .....we walked around taking pictures.....a really freak wind.....I still have the negatives.

Originally posted by Plain Talker

owdlad!

I can't believe that you got quartered under those circumstances!

PT

He got "Hung and drawn" first. :hihi:

No ones mentioned all the pre-fabs that blew down on Sky Edge!!

Originally posted by gopher

No ones mentioned all the pre-fabs that blew down on Sky Edge!!

I remember the ones at the Manor Top on Windy House Lane.

Didn't know the Sky Edge ones blew down. Mind you my bus didn't go past Sky Edge. Where were all the people rehoused?

If I remember rightly, it also damaged the floodlight pylon on the corner of John Street/Shoreham Street. It didn't actually knock it down, it got hold of the top and bent it over, so that it was (almost) touching the ground. Takes a REAL force to do that to a structure that is designed to take heavy winds.

I was twelve at the time, looking out of the classroom window at Tapton school the afternoon before the gale, I noticed that the sky was a unusual pink colour. On the night of the gale I was sleeping in the attic bedroom, I soon legged it downstairs when I thought the bedroom window was going to blow in on my bed.

Gopher, I lived on sky edge when it all went off..

I remember walking to work ,treading on the broken slates that were covering the road. Near the Owlerton dog track. they were flying all over the place.:o

It was a real mess. I worked for SCPWD and we spent that day and weeks after tying down roofs and repairing roofs on the Arbourthorne estate, repairing broken water pipes and re-glazing windows.

they put steel strips on the roofs of our Skyedge prefab to stop em blowin of in future..