Tutorials On Backing Up Smartphone .

What is the best (simple instructions for idiots like me) source for how-tos on backup smartphone, remove OS, using TWRP and installing new OS? Thanks.

What exactly do you want to backup?

Pictures/downloads/mp3's etc - can just be copied to your computer by connecting usb
settings,  contacts, calls, etc - can be saved on google cloud and re-synch'd when you sign back into your google account....

Hi Ghozer,

Thanks for replying. I know how to backup personal stuff, perhaps what I should have phrased it as 'How to backup the system' should I 'brick' it - which I want to prevent - I want to get to the state of a 'pure Android' without the Google bloat:

https://e.foundation/

I've already downloaded the TWRP file and the e .img file for the OnePlus 3T

Well with regards to the 'system' - Just download the stock firmware for that device, make sure your google account is synching all items, and they are all recently synch'd too (via settings > accounts / sync) - if they are, and you have all your personal files backed up, then just flash it....

having a backup as you put it incase you brick it won't help, because if it's bricked, you can't flash anything to it - not even a backup, the backup (as I said above) is just a copy of the original firmware for that specific device....

(if by 'bricked'  you mean simply not booting, but you can still get to the boot/FW menu then you could still re-flash stock firmware to restore functionality)

Edited by Ghozer

Might be being a bit thick here but recently bricked a nexus 7 trying to flash it, took me a few days to backward flash it successfully, regarding backing up your system I didn't see any options but did see lots of various image files for different builds for your device.

Didn't manage via Google had to flash via a third party prog off the internet, point is if bricked it's not completely lost

Well it's been a while but I finally got round to removing Google OS for pure Android 10 on 1+ 3. Managed to install TWRP,  then removed everything and installed the .img for e.OS - My data is MY DATA greets me on boot up.

Has a good system of informing you how secure an app is with a privacy rating for each one. Used Magic Earth for directions yesterday and gives instructions in advance of roads you need to take, and accurate too. Nice cleaner display than Google Maps. My Easter weekend will be to flash my current 1+ 3T. Great job e.foundation! 😍

Thanks for all the tips and Tricks. I will backing up my android now. 

Update - only try eOS if you have a spare phone - or its just that OnePlus are dodgy when it comes to bootloaders. Having put eOS successfully on the 1+ 3 I put it on the 1+ 3T - I was curious about apps rather than phone etc - Could make calls and receive calls but Contacts did not work and Call history (asked a family member to ring because of the contacts issue) and nothing stored. Managed to Soft Brick the 1+ 3T but got it back in Windows 7 64-bit by sideloading the April 2021 Oxygen OTA stable .zip file. My phone is now back to the way it was - I will look at eOS in the future if they can get the bugs sorted. Keeping it on the 1+ 3 as Magick Earth is so much better than Google maps and I can use things like Jitsi for meeting on it and proton mail.

Well, finally got round to purchasing a Fairphone 3+ recently that comes with eOS - very pleased with it. Has a removable battery and the whole phone is modular so if something should break (e.g., Camera) you just replace that with a new module (mini screwdriver provided). I also have an at e dot email address and 1 Gb of cloud storage. And free from Google at last!