Egg Mystery

Strange thing this morning, opened the back door to let the dog out, strolled out onto garden with my regular cup o coffee & wandering round the grass (as I do to check for any dirt removal jobs) I came upon an egg

Lying on the grass, close to the hedge separating the adjoining garden, the egg was about the same size as a normal hen's egg, and had a hole the size of a 50p piece, and no contents

not so unusual you say, it's an egg, but it had a supermarket date stamp on it

I'm assuming it's been thieved by either fox or bird, but who leaves eggs in a place where fox/bird can steal them?

It's the third one we've found on our property in the last couple of year, one was on the front garden, again on the grass near the front hedge, but the second (which my wife found) was actually buried in one of her plant pots, with the plant still intact

what kind of animal is doing this, and is it thick? or are we being subjected to minor nuisance from some jolly neighbour?

Maybe it was an already empty shell taken from someones compost heap? Or from someones garden (theres lots of uses for egg shells in gardening).

Edited by nikki-red

It might be a fox egg - foxes love eggs and when they find them will sometimes eat them straight away or sometimes bury them and come back for them later.

36 minutes ago, dars35 said:

Strange thing this morning, opened the back door to let the dog out, strolled out onto garden with my regular cup o coffee & wandering round the grass (as I do to check for any dirt removal jobs) I came upon an egg

Lying on the grass, close to the hedge separating the adjoining garden, the egg was about the same size as a normal hen's egg, and had a hole the size of a 50p piece, and no contents

not so unusual you say, it's an egg, but it had a supermarket date stamp on it

I'm assuming it's been thieved by either fox or bird, but who leaves eggs in a place where fox/bird can steal them?

It's the third one we've found on our property in the last couple of year, one was on the front garden, again on the grass near the front hedge, but the second (which my wife found) was actually buried in one of her plant pots, with the plant still intact

what kind of animal is doing this, and is it thick? or are we being subjected to minor nuisance from some jolly neighbour?

THAT'S  EGGSTRODINARY

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

It might be a fox egg - foxes love eggs and when they find them will sometimes eat them straight away or sometimes bury them and come back for them later.

For out I didn’t know fox’s Laid eggs .

4 hours ago, Halibut said:

It might be a fox egg - 

Before I read the rest of your post, at first I thought *are you for real or what?!*  😁

4 hours ago, Halibut said:

Foxes love Glacier Mints.   Only Yolking. :gag:

Can Foxes climb trees? Never seen a Fox in a Tree, however I have once found one dead it Expired in my Back Garden, you would not believe the pularver to dispose of it.... Via Environmental Health Dept.

Never understood  how they can lay eggs with the date printed on, hens today eh!

Amazing !🥚🤔

Edited by pintor

Tiny Internal dot matrix printers....

5 minutes ago, pintor said:

Never understood  how they can lay eggs with the date printed on, hens today eh!

Amazing !🥚🤔

Eggactley.  :hihi:

:wow:

Maybe a punctuation problem?