Scotts Barber closed?

6 hours ago, billhaley said:

Wasn't it next to Van Winkles cafe on Nursery St in the 50s ?/

Van Winkles, now that's a name from the past. I think I'm the upper part of that building was Woodcock freight shippers, which belonged to Woodcock travel.

Can you remember the cobblers shop on the corner of that block. He made great clogs and belts.

nobody did an " american flat top" like scotts !

I have been going to Scotts since 1969 when they were situated further down the Wicker quite close to the old Brown Cow.

My first cut was done by Mr Scott (Micks Dad) the shop was packed and three chairs working continously.

Then Mick took over a perfect gent (for a blade)

Have carried on going until Bob Retired I know he has been struggling for a few years prices going up and unable to keep staff lower footfall in the area and as he said on my last visit the council will get round to re energising the area eventually but it will be another 10 years at least and thats too long.

Another Sheffield Institution gone.

Thanks for the chats Bob

Up The Owls. 

On 24/07/2019 at 20:15, Kidorry said:

Can you remember the cobblers shop on the corner of that block. He made great clogs and belts.

No, you've got me there! I believe there was a snooker hall upstairs on the corner? and opposite Scotts a firm that supplied glassware and various gear for the pub trade? Also the Coroners court as I remember and you could just see into their basement through gratings.

12 minutes ago, billhaley said:

No, you've got me there! I believe there was a snooker hall upstairs on the corner? and opposite Scotts a firm that supplied glassware and various gear for the pub trade? Also the Coroners court as I remember and you could just see into their basement through gratings.

The cobbler's shop was the last (or first shop) on that side of Nursery Street, then there was an alleyway that led to the river, the other side of that was the William Deacons bank building on Ladys Bridge that housed the billiard hall.

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 07:29, Tigerfan said:

I have been going to Scotts since 1969 when they were situated further down the Wicker quite close to the old Brown Cow.

My first cut was done by Mr Scott (Micks Dad) the shop was packed and three chairs working continously.

Then Mick took over a perfect gent (for a blade)

Have carried on going until Bob Retired I know he has been struggling for a few years prices going up and unable to keep staff lower footfall in the area and as he said on my last visit the council will get round to re energising the area eventually but it will be another 10 years at least and thats too long.

Another Sheffield Institution gone.

Thanks for the chats Bob

Up The Owls. 

It was further than the Brown Cow, next to Frederich's pork butcher's who were on the Willey Street corner.

On 01/08/2019 at 22:12, St Petre said:

It was further than the Brown Cow, next to Frederich's pork butcher's who were on the Willey Street corner.

Correct it was next door to Freidrichs (in the same building) but the Brown Cow was further down towards the Wicker arches. Both buildings are still there.

It's reopened now under the same name with a different owner. The same kind of barber someone previously mentioned, open until the wee hours. Actually I've been for the first time since it got taken over and it's good, the only problem is it's always really busy you'd do well to get in an out in under an hour and that's at quiet times.

I am surprised that the old owner wasn't making money (if true) as he always had punters in. Maybe he would have been better off selling the other half of the shop, it was a bit big and I don't think the new one uses the other end.

On 04/08/2019 at 20:40, Jim Hardie said:

Correct it was next door to Freidrichs (in the same building) but the Brown Cow was further down towards the Wicker arches. Both buildings are still there.

Jim, the pub nearer Scott 's when it was next to Frederich's was the Bull and Oak-between Willey Street and the Wicker arches- the Brown Cow was between Willey Street and Blonk Street.

11 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Jim, the pub nearer Scott 's when it was next to Frederich's was the Bull and Oak-between Willey Street and the Wicker arches- the Brown Cow was between Willey Street and Blonk Street.

Got to disagree.

post-124-1220446075.jpg

Years ago I used to go to Henger's on West Street when it was staffed by 2 mature men who wore white overcoats. Got a very good service at a reasonable price.  I think a lot of barbers in town have now gone 'upmarket' in their décor with much higher prices, though the quality of the cuts is variable.

I like to use some of the Turkish barbers on London Road; Bodrum Barber and Baran's are always polite, clean, give a good cut, and don't rip you off.

Edited by Mister M

45 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Got to disagree.

post-124-1220446075.jpg

Just now, St Petre said:

Yes Jim, you are correct, got my bearings for the Brown Cow wrong even after having walked through the Wicker about 120,000 times.