Why Can't I Watch Or Read Fiction ?

1 hour ago, zach said:

What about George Clooney...

Now, I'm not saying you watch his films but you do seem to like the man. This sort of points to possibly watching the films with him in. The ones I can think of are fiction.

Come on, the truth Pattricia!

Sorry, I nearly went into "A Few Good Men" cross examination 😂

You’ve caught me out here zach !  I can watch his films with the sound turned down of course ( which I don’t) but I can put up with his films and stare at his wonderful face. He does of course do a coffee advert !

1 minute ago, pattricia said:

You’ve caught me out here zach !  I can watch his films with the sound turned down of course ( which I don’t) but I can put up with his films and stare at his wonderful face. He does of course do a coffee advert !

Just a bit of fun Pattricia 😉

I honestly can't understand people who like/watch soaps, each to their own. I don't really like dancing, selling, buying or singing type TV either. Documentaries make up a good 70% of my TV viewing. I watched a good one about a small hospital it the Scottish Highlands. The normal is David Attenborough or any nature ones.

I bought a second hand book some time age,  'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists'  by Robert Tressell.  forget about it and found it again last week,  I can't find time to read it although it has been recommended.

3 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Not sure about 'the Apprentice' thing 

but is there some sort of achievement reading something from a different time period?

Something written in the 1800's is so different not only in content but use of words with something from modern day.

There were no surveillance cameras, tracking devices or drones in the days of the Tall ships

An early 1920's novel again will be so different to the 1800's book but you don't have to go back too far to find marked differences in style and content from a 1960's book or something written in the 70's or 80's.

Lots of the pulp fiction books from the 60's & 70's may be terrible by today's standards but are sometimes worth catching up with.

'Rat's' 'the Lair' & Domain' by James Herbert for example were read by nearly every body and still enjoyable as re read's, 

I've still all my NEL (New English Library) 'Biker' books ('Chopper', 'Mamma', 'the Run' etc, etc) that really are terrible but were worth catching up with again.

Any of the Tom Sharp books are still readable and extremely funny even now his trait of the hero of the book not being infallible works.

The best book I have read a lately or for a very long time has to be 'The Master and Margarita' total fictional page turner where anything can happen from one page to the next has to be the best thing that has ever  come out of Russia (everybody should read this hidden jem)

Want a challenge?

try reading 'A clock work Orange'

Excellent book. 

I remember reading ,A Clockwork Orange' decades ago and enjoying it because it was nothing like anything I'd read before, especially his invention of futuristic words. I read modern novels as well and like going onto free kindle on Amazon and downloading novels I've never heard of, just to see what they're like. Some have been poor but I've also read some excellent thrillers.

Actually I don’t mind autobiography’s or biographies but I do think they exaggerate their life stories to sell more books.

It does seem quite strange, maybe your brain is wired up differently?

Can't do fiction?

Why not try Historical Fiction based on real life events with a bit of story to help the plot along.

Most of the writers are scupulous about the historical accuracy. They admit to any changes they have made in the notes at the end which is usually with dates. Sharp , The Last Kingdom and , dare I say it, The Crown are all good examples.

Theres a show on Netflix I've been tempted to watch, Real Detectives. It's a dramatisation of actual crimes but done with proper actors and proper sets rather than the wobbly nonsense on true crime shows. The detectives who investigated said crime do the commentary. Might ease you in!

On 15/07/2019 at 09:56, alchresearch said:

Gentleman Jack is based upon a real person.

It was praised by critics because it was excellent.

Here's a bit about the woman, a true pioneer:

https://www.historyextra.com/period/victorian/anne-lister-real-gentleman-jack-diary-code-history-secret-life-britain-first-modern-lesbian/

I wasn’t sure what to think about this programme when it first started or even if I wanted to watch it, but by the end of the series I also thought it was excellent and it is based on Anne Lister’s Diaries. I’ve never heard  of her before until the series but I’d love to go to Shibden Hall where she lived.  I’m sure it’s a park now.

I agree with you about the woman being a true pioneer, it definitely was a mans world in those days but  she wasn’t afraid to speak her mind.

21 hours ago, Flanker7 said:

Can't do fiction?

Why not try Historical Fiction based on real life events with a bit of story to help the plot along.

Most of the writers are scupulous about the historical accuracy. They admit to any changes they have made in the notes at the end which is usually with dates. Sharp , The Last Kingdom and , dare I say it, The Crown are all good examples.

I cannot watch Historical fiction but I can watch Historical fact.  I do not mean The Crown which is ridiculous.!

15 hours ago, pattricia said:

I cannot watch Historical fiction but I can watch Historical fact.  I do not mean The Crown which is ridiculous.!

Ref the Crown,   all the events depicted in the Crown are real and well documented,  examples, Prince Phillip Galavanting and womanising all true, the conversations over this matter between the Queen and Phillip could be deemed as Fictional because no one apart from these two know what was said between the two of them.   The one on ones with the Queen and all the Primeministers over events like  the London smog (Churchill)  Suez Canal (Eden)  Miners Strike, Falklands,  (Thatcher)  the list goes on,   were all conversations between two people, so even though the topics were reality the conversations are Fictional,  all other events involving Charles, Margerate, Edward and  Dianna,  all true and documented,  but the conversations behind closed doors are fictional because apart from Dianna in the Bashir interview was the only one to talk Pubicly.  In the Next series Dianna's accident and Prince Andrews dealings with Epstein, true events will be shown but the personal conversations surrounding the events , again will be fiction because who else knows what is really said in a one on one coversation behind closed doors unless either or both parties go Public.  This is just my opinion of the Crown series,  I don't know if Im right or wrong,  there are two words that spring to mind about this series though, they are Dramatisation and sentialising. 

5 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Ref the Crown,   all the events depicted in the Crown are real and well documented,  examples, Prince Phillip Galavanting and womanising all true, the conversations over this matter between the Queen and Phillip could be deemed as Fictional because no one apart from these two know what was said between the two of them.   The one on ones with the Queen and all the Primeministers over events like  the London smog (Churchill)  Suez Canal (Eden)  Miners Strike, Falklands,  (Thatcher)  the list goes on,   were all conversations between two people, so even though the topics were reality the conversations are Fictional,  all other events involving Charles, Margerate, Edward and  Dianna,  all true and documented,  but the conversations behind closed doors are fictional because apart from Dianna in the Bashir interview was the only one to talk Pubicly.  In the Next series Dianna's accident and Prince Andrews dealings with Epstein, true events will be shown but the personal conversations surrounding the events , again will be fiction because who else knows what is really said in a one on one coversation behind closed doors unless either or both parties go Public.  This is just my opinion of the Crown series,  I don't know if Im right or wrong,  there are two words that spring to mind about this series though, they are Dramatisation and sentialising. 

One never knows what happens behind closed doors so I cannot watch this type of programme. For a scriptwriter to guess what someone is saying can change the opinion of the viewers watching the programme.