Why Can't I Watch Or Read Fiction ?

8 hours ago, pattricia said:

So lots of people agree with me about fiction being boring. The latest offering is that silly drama Gentleman Jack. It’s  been praised by all the critics but are they doing this because they don’t want to upset lesbians ?

Not my cup of tea but there is some tremendous drama on tv now, handmaids tale (I haven’t watched series 3 yet though) killing eve, black mirror, even stranger things if you’ve got Netflix. There’s loads out there.

I had a spell of watching some true crime stuff, taboo killers or something. Accurate, interesting but pretty depressing after a bit.

I absolutely love true crime programmes. There is one that used to be on called 24 hours in police custody which was absolutely gripping.

I always think that the truth is stranger than fiction.

21 hours ago, pattricia said:

So lots of people agree with me about fiction being boring. The latest offering is that silly drama Gentleman Jack. It’s  been praised by all the critics but are they doing this because they don’t want to upset lesbians ?

Gentleman Jack is based upon a real person.

It was praised by critics because it was excellent.

Here's a bit about the woman, a true pioneer:

https://www.historyextra.com/period/victorian/anne-lister-real-gentleman-jack-diary-code-history-secret-life-britain-first-modern-lesbian/

Edited by alchresearch

18 hours ago, pattricia said:

You may not read fiction but you certainly write it.

2 people agreeing with you is not "lots of people" plus, as has been said, that "silly drama" is based on the diaries of Ann Lister, which lay hidden for many years.

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

I absolutely love true crime programmes. There is one that used to be on called 24 hours in police custody which was absolutely gripping.

I always think that the truth is stranger than fiction.

Trish,

Pick tv channel 11 weekdays 9pm.  Britains most evil killers, or Fred Dinenage murder casebook, or Killer in my village.

All gripping stuff, Covers every high profile murder cases this century.

5 hours ago, Padders said:

Trish,

Pick tv channel 11 weekdays 9pm.  Britains most evil killers, or Fred Dinenage murder casebook, or Killer in my village.

All gripping stuff, Covers every high profile murder cases this century.

Thank you Padders. I will have a look at that channel.

For some reason that I can’t understand, I cannot read or watch on tv any fiction. I can imagine the tv or film camera filming every move. I can only watch reality  programmes like : 24 hours in A&E, Traffic Cops, 24 hours in police custody, etc, 

I am interested in the persons job that the programme is about.Is anyone else like this ?

I don't mind fiction as long as it's realistic. Sometimes the character in a movie has super powers while fighting that no normal human being could possibly have. That's the type of movie I don't like but I didn't mind Ghost, perhaps because there were comedy elements to it too. What about musicals? Do you like those? I loved Grease for instance but people just don't burst out singing in the street for instance do they?  :hihi:

Do you just mean on TV Pat?

Edited by Joto
question

1 hour ago, Joto said:

I don't mind fiction as long as it's realistic. Sometimes the character in a movie has super powers while fighting that no normal human being could possibly have. That's the type of movie I don't like but I didn't mind Ghost, perhaps because there were comedy elements to it too. What about musicals? Do you like those? I loved Grease for instance but people just don't burst out singing in the street for instance do they?  :hihi:

Do you just mean on TV Pat?

That’s funny because I love musicals and they are fiction aren’t they ? My favourite is Guys and Dolls but realise that I only like the songs in them and not the story. Also love Grease.

I don’t like fictional films at the cinema or fictional novels. The last two films I saw in the cinema we’re about the first moon landing and Freddie Mercurys life story. Both factual stories.

Same here, only watch documentaries, real-life, police programmes, etc. Never watch soaps, period dramas. Find the general public are the best actors/actresses, especially Gogglebox.  Although love 8 out of 10 Cats, Room 101 and the like. But am an avid reader of psychological  fiction books.

15 minutes ago, Bunny Marsh said:

Same here, only watch documentaries, real-life, police programmes, etc. Never watch soaps, period dramas. Find the general public are the best actors/actresses, especially Gogglebox.  Although love 8 out of 10 Cats, Room 101 and the like. But am an avid reader of psychological  fiction books.

Your taste sounds the very same as mine. Every tv programme you’ve mentioned in your post I also watch. I don’t think I could read a psychological fiction book though, although I’m not quite sure what they are about.

Just try one, I think you'll be hooked. A good one to start with is Behind Closed Doors by B.A.Paris.You can get a second hand one quite cheaply from Amazon.