Abbeydale Grammar School For Boys 1964/5

Loads,  Saw it being built. I was a pupil at Nether Edge Grammar School that moved there in 1958/9.  I knew most of the masters/teachers on that list.

There were some important Teachers on that list. I was in the first intake  (probably 1961) who had not been at Nether Edge. We had a couple of terms with different head to Mr. Massey.  Can't remember his name.  Do recall he used to remember  ex-pupils killed  in the war.  Looking at various information on the Abbeydale Schools a couple of years ago  it was very complecated in what building was what .  Not been there for a long time but I am told the place has been demolished.  Anybody know why?  Looking a a picture on one of the WEBB sites there is a three wheeled car.  Could that be the one that found it's way on to the roof??? Come on we are all 70+ can own up now.....

I too was in the first intake at Abbeydale  Grammar ( probably 1961 as inessex says) and remember lots of the teachers on the list. I believe the head when I first arrived at Abbeydale was Mr. Wilkinson and I guess he did the move from Nether Edge and then retired. If I remember rightly he always wore a gown, as did Mr. Scorer and there were rumors that he had a cane inside the gown. I didn't get to check this out but he got hold of me one day for , can't remember what , but explained that what I was doing was not a good idea!! Mr. Massey (Cass?) replaced him.

I believe that Sheffield Education Department or Sheffield Council had a rationalization of schools (probably didn't want a grammar school) and decided that Abbeydale was not required any more so shut it down and sold it off. It stood empty for a while and was then demolished and houses built on the site.

I only very vaguly recall an incident with a Reliant being turned over and yes I'm 70 + and it were nowt to do wi me!!!