A Fish Called 'ling'. Has Anyone Tried It- Or Even Ever Heard Of It?

I recently tried a fish called Ling. Has anyone ever tried this, or even heard of it? I confess that I'd never even heard of it - and only decided to try it when I saw it recently, on special offer  in Morrisons. It looked exactly like cod or haddock, but was literally less than a quarter of the price! I was really impressed by it! It's not quite as firm and flakey as cod - a bit mushier and softer in texture and maybe not quite so good for pan-frying or steaming - but I think it's absolutely  brilliant in fish pies, fish stews, fish curries, soups, tacos etc - when mixed with other kinds of fish - or shellfish,  

I'd be really interested in hearing what other Sheff foodies have to say ….

Edited by FIRETHORN1

Pulled a few out sea fishing , like a cod but longer ....nice size and good for eating ...

As above, caught a good few and it's very tasty!

I think they are included in the "white fish" category in some shops. I would say... go and buy some, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Yep very nice in a pie, can be a bit vicious, i remember my dad reaching over a box with one in and it jumped up and bit him, how we laughed, shouldn't be a problem in Morrisons though.

One of the nice things (there are many) of fishing, you eat whatever you catch (more or less - some of the ugliest fish are the tastiest) rather than whats popular, it literally makes me cry when i see dead fish trawled up and thrown back to the seagulls.