Lidl's Bakery Products And Hygene.

I was born and brought up before all the hygiene paranoia set in and, I think as a result developed a healthy immune system, have never had a D and V episode. Shock horror I don’t take notice of sell/eat by dates and just use the eyes and nose I was born with

21 hours ago, kidley said:

these thoughts came in my mind in one second.

An obsessive-compulsive personality. That's what a doctor would call them.

• Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear or worry (obsessions). Symptoms of the disorder include excessive washing or cleaning.

Wikipedia

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/232242/what-is-the-appropriate-single-word-for-describing-an-over-clean-person/232243

20 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Jack Nicholson in "As good as it gets" nailed it.

He he; do you realise how silly you sound? I guess you wouldn't last too long working in a pathogen lab.

I used to wonder why people needed to go on basic food hygiene courses but after reading some of these comments and seeing the way some people manage food its pretty obvious. 

Have a look at NHS guidance on food poisoning and how to prevent it. Its common sense not OCD. I do hope you never have to look after someone who you could end up killing due to lack of basic food hygiene.  

21 hours ago, Chez2 said:

He he; do you realise how silly you sound? I guess you wouldn't last too long working in a pathogen lab.

I used to wonder why people needed to go on basic food hygiene courses but after reading some of these comments and seeing the way some people manage food its pretty obvious. 

Have a look at NHS guidance on food poisoning and how to prevent it. Its common sense not OCD. I do hope you never have to look after someone who you could end up killing due to lack of basic food hygiene.  

I was talking about the OCD itself not its relationship to hygiene. I may not know a lot about food poisoning but know an awful lot about mental illness.I have a daughter who has had schizoprenia for the last 25 years and I have come across every form of mental illness during her hospital stays and group therapy sessions over the years.All her friends have some form of mental disability.

There’s a happy medium between being OCD and being a disgusting germ spreader coughing and sneezing on food and not washing hands after going to the toilet. A bit of common sense on basic hygiene is all that’s needed. No need to obsess about it.

17 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I was talking about the OCD itself not its relationship to hygiene. I may not know a lot about food poisoning but know an awful lot about mental illness.I have a daughter who has had schizoprenia for the last 25 years and I have come across every form of mental illness during her hospital stays and group therapy sessions over the years.All her friends have some form of mental disability.

You were being crass about my comment on good hygiene practices; equating them to OCD. 

The thing about hygiene is that that most of the time you can get away not doing it. Most of the time, what's in your faeces or what you cough / sneeze out isn't harmful. Then on the odd occasion where it is, you have 20 people at a restaurant all going down with food poisoning; or back in the Good Old Days (when everyone had strong immune systems from all that dirt), thousands of people dying from cholera.

6 hours ago, Chez2 said:

You were being crass about my comment on good hygiene practices; equating them to OCD. 

My original comment was in response to kidley giving us a description of OCD. All I said was that Jack Nicholson brilliantly portrayed a person with the condition in a film.I never said a thing about the link to hygiene, you did.

On 12/07/2019 at 12:35, Tomm06 said:

There are germs in your house, on your seat, keyboard, bed and your food. Maybe some food you ate at home had something dodgy in it or maybe disagreed with you. You went outside, between your house the cafe and back, regardless of time, you could have got it from literally anything.

Life will certainly be a lot tougher for anyone who spends their life terrified of touching things other people have touched or coming in to contact with any germs at all. Be as hygienic as you wish that's a great trait to have but in the real world we get ill, we can never pinpoint from what if its a basic fever or whatever, I thought as a species we'd learnt to just deal with it.  

More illnesses are droplet born than any other mechanism though.  You don't catch a cold that drifts in on a breeze from a distance, you catch it from directly inhaling the aerosolized saliva of someone with an infection (if they cough or sneeze near you or in a room you then enter), or from the saliva having settled or been transferred onto something like a door handle, or food.  The virus can live for up to 7 days apparently, although some surfaces render them inactive much faster (the ability to still infect someone however is limited to more like 24 hrs for the cold virus).

On 11/07/2019 at 21:43, kaytie said:

My grandmother always used to say 'You have to eat a peck of muck before you die'.    I do think that today we're perhaps too faffy.    I've bought unwrapped French loaves before today and carried them home in a shopping bag .... and Im still alive and healthy!!😀

Was granny a biochemist? It's odd really, in most food production areas you must have the highest hygiene standards but if it's crusty bread it leaves the oven with a magical forcefield that stops the great unwashed hacking all over it.

10 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Was granny a biochemist? It's odd really, in most food production areas you must have the highest hygiene standards but if it's crusty bread it leaves the oven with a magical forcefield that stops the great unwashed hacking all over it.

Yeah I was fixing a machine in a food processing plant about 20 years back there was a lot of large open barrels full of salted and unsalted peanuts close by. I told the bossman that I would be welding, grinding and other such dirty things, but he just shrugged and told me to carry on

He never covered the barrels and I could not control my grinding sparks to avoid the food. I never bought their brand of peanuts again.Lol

I want to amend my OP to be fair to Lidl but I'm not able to edit it for some reason! 🤔