Lidl's Bakery Products And Hygene.

When you walk in the Lidl on Halifax road, on your immediate right are the bakery products; they look quite nice but I couldn't buy any as they're not covered, and as we all know, lots of dirty so and so's do not cover their mouths and noses when they cough/sneeze. Does anyone else take this into consideration when buying those bakery products?

7 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

lots of dirty so and so's do not cover their mouths and noses when they cough/sneeze. 

I hear Michael Jackson no longer needs his oxygen tent. 😂 

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I hear Michael Jackson no longer needs his oxygen tent. 😂 

Listen, if you like your panini's glazed with someone's splutter you go for it. 

At least Lidl’s baked goods are on recessed shelves.

Sainsburys’ and Waitrose’s bread products are completely out in the open or are you saying that people who shop in Lidl’s are more likely to be germy? 😵

9 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

At least Lidl’s baked goods are on recessed shelves.

Sainsburys’ and Waitrose’s bread products are completely out in the open or are you saying that people who shop in Lidl’s are more likely to be germy? 😵

I've never set foot in a Sainsbury's or a Waitrose, I shop mainly in Lidl and Morrisons. 

I don't think that Lidl is unique in this respect. Most supermarkets that I shop in - Asda, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Tesco, Aldi and even (very occasionally, when I'm feeling flush) Waitrose, have similar set ups, with their instore baked bread, buns and pastries piled up  on recessed shelves, from which you help yourself. They have tongs to pick the items up with and paper bags to put them in, so I really don't see this as a huge health risk at all. What about all the loose fruit, veg and salad stuff that most supermarkets have on display? I often see people rummaging around, picking various items up, squeezing and sniffing them,  to test for ripeness, texture etc. What about the stuff we buy from outdoor market stalls in the streets?

To be honest Nightbird, I think that maybe you're being just a wee bit overly paranoid about the hygiene of the bakery products in the Halifax Road Lidl store. I'm not saying that their hygiene regime is perfect, but it's no worse than anywhere else - and after all, when was the last time you ever heard of anyone getting food poisoning, or even remotely getting a bit ill, from buying and eating openly displayed produce from a supermarket or market stall?

16 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I don't think that Lidl is unique in this respect. Most supermarkets that I shop in - Asda, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Tesco, Aldi and even (very occasionally, when I'm feeling flush) Waitrose, have similar set ups, with their instore baked bread, buns and pastries piled up  on recessed shelves, from which you help yourself. They have tongs to pick the items up with and paper bags to put them in, so I really don't see this as a huge health risk at all. What about all the loose fruit, veg and salad stuff that most supermarkets have on display? I often see people rummaging around, picking various items up, squeezing and sniffing them,  to test for ripeness, texture etc. What about the stuff we buy from outdoor market stalls in the streets?

To be honest Nightbird, I think that maybe you're being just a wee bit overly paranoid about the hygiene of the bakery products in the Halifax Road Lidl store. I'm not saying that their hygiene regime is perfect, but it's no worse than anywhere else - and after all, when was the last time you ever heard of anyone getting food poisoning, or even remotely getting a bit ill, from buying and eating openly displayed produce from a supermarket or market stall?

I suppose it is a bit remiss of me to pick on Lidl because as you quite rightly say other places do this as well; its only because I was in the Lidl today that prompted me to think about it and start this thread.

It would be a good idea if they were protected by a Perspex lid that you lift up like with the pic n mix sweets?

Edited by Nightbird

20 minutes ago, Nightbird said:

I suppose it is a bit remiss of me to pick on Lidl because as you quite rightly say other places do this as well; its only because I was in the Lidl today that prompted me to think about it and start this thread.

It would be a good idea if they were protected by a Perspex lid that you lift up like with the pic n mix sweets?

I'm not at all fastidious re germs but I agree that there should be some sort of covering - I always wonder how many people have picked them up and put the back despite tongs being available. Fruit & veg are usually washed before use or cooked which will destroy any germs.

Piffle. When did you ever hear of anyone getting ill from an uncovered baguette or cheese and tomato swirl? Some people are far too precious about this sort of thing. 

3 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Piffle. When did you ever hear of anyone getting ill from an uncovered baguette or cheese and tomato swirl? Some people are far too precious about this sort of thing. 

When do people take the time to investigate and pinpoint the origin of their illness? Who's to say no one  has become ill after eating a panini or something that has been sneezed on? or from touching a door handle on a public toilet?  there will be untold amounts of people that may have become ill this way. One thing is for sure and that is people do cough and sneeze without covering there mouths and noses and I bet if you looked at those uncovered bakery products and fruit under one of those lights that highlights bacteria from bodily fluids, I bet the results would be alarming and you'd never buy one again.