Electronics Repairs Sheffield

My Phoenix 12 / 350 inverter has stopped working after not being used for a while. I connected a battery to it yesterday just flashing the positive connection onto the post (correct way around) and I got quite a big spark as in a short circuit spark. Now the led doesn't come on. I took the cover off looking for a fuse and can see something that looks like a car fuse. I put the ohmmeter across it and it has continuity. It would not pull out. 

Thought I would take it into Bardwells but been informed they're long gone. Does anyone know of a similar electronics repair shop in Sheffield at all? thanks

Nova  electronics down Attercliffe  

Edited by rudds1

4 hours ago, blackydog said:

I took the cover off looking for a fuse and can see something that looks like a car fuse. I put the ohmmeter across it and it has continuity. It would not pull out. 

You can’t test continuity of a fuse in situ, as the fuse may be blown but you could still have a current path somewhere else in the circuit with the fuse holder if there is another fault condition.

I suspect that the fuse actually has blown. You should be able to remove it with a pair of log nose pliers and a bit of wiggling. Before replacing it you need to check that the terminals of the fuse holder are open circuit.

Bardwells never did any repairs. As said, Nova is probably the only place that does general electronics now.

Why not give Victron agents a ring, they might suggest a test procedure. From what I have read, they seem reliable.

According to the service manual, that inverter has three 20A fuses. 

I would remove, check and replace any blown fuses before even thinking of paying someone money to do the same. If the fault is more involved than that, then think about finding a technician.

That inverter has active high voltage input protection which means that it will shut down once it senses the input voltage rising above a certain point (17VDC for your model). This will reset once the voltage reduces below a certain point but I suspect at least one of the 20A fuses is also input protection.

Thanks for the advice so far.  I can only see one item that looks anything like a fuse though and it says "40" on top of it. I'll post some pics later if SF allows it.

p.s. A new one is about £120 on eBay so can't afford to spend too much having someone repair it.

p.p.s. TCH do you have a link to the manuals page you're looking at ? the one I found from Victron site covered numerous similar modes.

Edited by blackydog

42 minutes ago, blackydog said:

p.p.s. TCH do you have a link to the manuals page you're looking at ? the one I found from Victron site covered numerous similar modes.

We’re probably looking at the same one as that also covers all variants of the inverter.

https://www.victronenergy.com/Manuals/phoenix/phoenix uni/ph06003.pdf