Just Eat, But At What Price?

The model is successfull  hence why so many restaurants sign up to it- revenue does increase but there are negatives when it comes to what the service charges are etc.

I know some restaurants would not use it if they could source an alternative.

This article gives an insight to what the competion may offer going forward.

https://www.ft.com/content/0a64006c-34f6-11e9-bb0c-42459962a812

Personally, I use Just eat as it is easier- but collect my food where possible to cancel out the delivery charge.

18 hours ago, PIP said:

Just eat charge £1.99 for delivery plus their normal charge of 50p, that's some profit for not doing a lot. 

They provide an online ordering service for takeaways that can't or don't do their own, or for people who don't like to ring through an order.

On the over hand, they also turn a blind eye to bad takeaways.  There are plenty of stories of harassment after leaving a bad review, not to mention the low hygiene ratings.

The comments come after the BBC discovered hundreds of takeaways with low FSA hygiene scores available on Just Eat and Deliveroo.

The BBC research found more than 400 outlets with an FSA rating of one - in need of "major improvement".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48705066

Just Eat driver 'sent unwanted messages' to female customer

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/16/just-eat-driver-sent-unwanted-messages-to-female-customer

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

I don't use the justeat/deliveroo because they are more expensive than phoning a takeaway and getting them to deliver or picking it up yourself.

Shops on the high street are not that convenient for many things for me, so no great loss to me to be honest. It saves me a lot of time to get things delivered straight to my office. Shops I still do use on the high street seem to do ok though (I can't imagine ever buying shoes/clothes online because I want to try them on to check they fit).

For example spending 40 minutes driving to/from bandq to get one small thing is not a good use of my time, when amazon would deliver it free of charge to my office. On the other hand I always use my local veg/fruit shops because they have good quality stuff and its convenient to go into on my way home from work. Those shops are doing a roaring trade from many people as far as I can see. So for shops I think some business models are just not relevant anymore, and things can't stay the same forever.

Well, all good for you.

Just don't be surprised if those bricks and mortar shops that you still use, eventually disappear: the common business model of all disruptive start-ups like Deliveroo and Just Eat (and AirBnB and Uber, and Amazon and Paypal, and...before them) is to parasite themselves into existing markets, become an unavoidable gate to access that market, and then engage in profit-maximising monopolistic practices (eg ramp up commission rate at renewal time, charge for better site ranking), and to hell with the collateral damage.

Fine if it's your business or, as a customer, if it fits in and around your life.

Not so fine if you're the targeted local business shoehorned into the business model, then losing ever more profitability and control over your enterprise, to the point of folding. Never mind for the local business employees.

I agree with you that things can't stay the same forever, and I'm no luddite at all (I actually work with disruptive startups like Deliveroo and JustEat (but not them), and have done so for a long time; I don't have an ethical problem with their common business model either, it is justified in very many ways of 'old' and non-proximity business).

But sometimes, just because you can, doesn't mean you should, lest the consequences eventually catch up with you: when local competition has been fully turned into 'glocal' competition (globally-sourced, locally-delivered; eg drop shipping straight from Chinese warehouses), with the lion's share of profits made by the least labour- and capital-intensive entities (the Just Eat, Deliveroo, Amazon, etc. of this world - all with fiscally-optimised revenue channelling and subsidiaries, ending up paying close to no tax at all anywhere...unlike the smaller businesses which they've disrupted, which then pay less tax because they're less profitable after the disruptor's cut), the continuing race to the bottom inevitably results in ever less revenue for local communities, ever less local jobs, ever less local services (etc.)

Nothing to be surprised about, it's just communicating financial vessels.

As I said, use at your own risk, and don't anybody who uses them come crying at the eventual consequences.

Edited by L00b

4 hours ago, PIP said:

I'm sorry your wrong there, I phoned the takeaway and was told it was a charge put on and kept by "Just eat"  she (the takeaway) never got a penny from it and that delivery was free on orders over £10.00. I ordered while I had her on the phone and it was delivered Toll free. I paid for the meal only. On another note - I wonder on the legality of charging for something which is nothing to do with you.

Nope, sorry, for most places it's the restaurant who set the charge, and their own drivers who deliver....

Things like KFC/SubWay etc that don't have their own drivers, Just-Eat set the delivery charge for those (As they are Just Eat Drivers)

Smaller independent places have their own drivers, set their own cost....

I even ordered last night, was free delivery, when I asked them who specifies the delivery charge, they stated they do.... as I suspected....

Edited by Ghozer

5 hours ago, PIP said:

I'm sorry your wrong there, I phoned the takeaway and was told it was a charge put on and kept by "Just eat"  she (the takeaway) never got a penny from it and that delivery was free on orders over £10.00. I ordered while I had her on the phone and it was delivered Toll free. I paid for the meal only. On another note - I wonder on the legality of charging for something which is nothing to do with you.

She was pulling your leg then.

I've ordered from a bunch of different takeaway places on Just Eat, some charge for delivery and some don't, charges range from 50p to a couple of quid, sometimes there's a charge if you live further away.

There is no blanket £2.50 delivery charge.

Edited by geared

Imagine being so mean that you quibble over paying a couple of quid for the convenience of having your food delivered to your front door.  

It redefines the phrase ‘first world problems’.

55 minutes ago, geared said:

She was pulling your leg then.

I've ordered from a bunch of different takeaway places on Just Eat, some charge for delivery and some don't, charges range from 50p to a couple of quid, sometimes there's a charge if you live further away.

There is no blanket £2.50 delivery charge.

Right, ordered direct from the shop = No delivery charged

Ordered from Just eat = £1.99 delivery charge and 50p for what ever. I never said or implied £2.50 as a set delivery charge.

If she was pulling my leg why state on their menu NO DELIVERY CHARGE ON ORDERS OVER £10.00

36 minutes ago, bendix said:

Imagine being so mean that you quibble over paying a couple of quid for the convenience of having your food delivered to your front door.  

It redefines the phrase ‘first world problems’.

Imagine such a fool who is  willing to pay up to 25%  more for something, than they need to, as it happens with my meal was over the £10.00 but it still works out to around 18% - There is a saying "Penny wise Pound foolish 

6 minutes ago, PIP said:

Ordered from Just eat = £1.99 delivery charge and 50p for what ever.

If she was pulling my leg why state on their menu NO DELIVERY CHARGE ON ORDERS OVER £10.00

because you still paid the extra 2 quid charge right?

The charge isn't set by Just Eat, it's set by the take away place as literally everyone else has told you already.

Edited by geared

1 minute ago, PIP said:

Ordered from Just eat = £1.99 delivery charge and 50p for what ever. I never said or implied £2.50 as a set delivery charge.

Imagine such a fool who is  willing to pay up to 25%  more for something, than they need to, as it happens with my meal was over the £10.00 but it still works out to around 18% - There is a saying "Penny wise Pound foolish 

That still doesn't mean it's Just-Eat who set the charge, the shop have control over that... if there's a "no charge over £10" - and that's not working, then yes - Just eat need to fix the website so it does work, but they don't set the charge....

if the shop decides to offer no delivery charge via their own website, then that's up to them - but since Just-Eat charge the shops a % for every order, some add a delivery charge on just-eat to cover those costs (so they still make the same amount, or more than if was via them directly)

I have seen how the Just-Eat system works in a shop...

BTW, Just-Eat have a price-promise thing ( see: https://www.just-eat.co.uk/pricepromise ) 

if your order from Just Eat is advertised by the restaurant for less on its own website then we’ll send you double the difference in the form of a Just Eat voucher.

What I was going to say, I'd prefer to pay the takeaway direct, but like most people nowadays I very rarely have cash on me so I resort to Just eat and others, but this has woken me up, cash in my wallet from now on, Just in case I fancy a takeaway.

I stated in my first post that the takeaway was 5 star, that is the food hygiene rating from the App " scores on the doors" I will not order a takeaway without referring to this App first.

11 minutes ago, geared said:

because you still paid the extra 2 quid charge right?

The charge isn't set by Just Eat, it's set by the take away place as literally everyone else has told you already.

???? The food on Just eat was £14.75, the food on the menu was £14.75. I paid cash and paid £14.75. If I'd have ordered from Just eat it would of been £17.24 - I don't know what you mean by paying £2.00 extra?????

I can only go on what I was told, If the shop did set the delivery charge on Just eat thinking were all too drunk to notice then there making a very big mistake. I was told It has nothing to do with them.

Jesus you are a penny pinching miser.  What part don't you understand?

There's a 50p service charge on Just Eat

The restaurant CHOSE to charge a £1.99 delivery fee, regardless of what you spent.

What part of this do you find difficult to understand??