Co-Op Ecclesall Rd Selling Milk In Glass Bottles.

The Co-op on Ecclesall road asked if we could deliver them milk in glass bottles to offer shoppers a plastic free option so we have done.

Edited by OurCowMolly
Spelling

Are the glass bottles  reused? Or are they lobbed into the recycling bin with all other glass for recycling? 

If the latter is that 'greener' than other packaging?

We collect them everyday wash them & reuse them, exactly the same as our milk round. We have bottles which have been used everyday for over 20 years.

51 minutes ago, Bilge said:

Are the glass bottles  reused? Or are they lobbed into the recycling bin with all other glass for recycling? 

If the latter is that 'greener' than other packaging?

We collect them everyday wash them & reuse them, exactly the same as our milk round. We have bottles which have been used everyday for over 20 years.

the University of Sheffield studied it & after 13 used glass is better than plastic, this was a whole life study birth to death of the packaging plus the extra diesel used to transport the heavier glass.

Well done you.

I wonder if there are any bottles around from when I was a little girl in Stannington and Hector Andrew and family used to deliver the milk to my home ?

Definitely we’ve still got bottles with the 4 digit Sheffield number on !.

My grandad (Hector) died earlier this year & we had a reprint of one of his most famous milk bottle designs done for folk to take from his funeral to remember him, there’s also loads of them in daily use on the Stannington milk round.

its a shame he didn’t get to see the glass bottles in a supermarket, he was really proud to see the dairy farm he started passed on to a 3rd generation.

The sister company to my own actually sell printed glass milk bottles, they are gaining popularity at the minute.

How will the Co-op ensure the customers return the glass bottles?. Otherwise it's just an expensive gimmick.

Angel1

3 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

How will the Co-op ensure the customers return the glass bottles?. Otherwise it's just an expensive gimmick.

Angel1

That’s what I meant. I guess they are gambling on Co-op users being ‘right on’ enough to return them.

2 hours ago, Bilge said:

That’s what I meant. I guess they are gambling on Co-op users being ‘right on’ enough to return them.

Nothing to do with being 'right on'. Everything to with common decency.

We're going backwards. This isn't progress. Nothing wrong with plastic per se, it's 100% recyclable. It's also much lighter to transport and much more versatile. What we should be doing is recycling it through the brown bin collections, in this country, rather than shipping off elsewhere and to shift responsibility where it can end up being dumped in a sea.

18 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

We're going backwards. This isn't progress. Nothing wrong with plastic per se, it's 100% recyclable. It's also much lighter to transport and much more versatile. What we should be doing is recycling it through the brown bin collections, in this country, rather than shipping off elsewhere and to shift responsibility where it can end up being dumped in a sea.

Countries without NMW or any wage really, people do this for a living.