Jump to content
Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Sheffield Clean Air Zone

Recommended Posts

They would only pay once per vehicle per day right though?  No matter how many times it enters and leaves the zone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Transport Poverty be like...there's not enough people in their private vehicles...

 

Let's have a Consultation, to increase 'pollution' created by the General public, and Sheffields clogged arteries...with people sat around doing nothing for hrs on end. 

 

What exactly did Sheffield City Council do prior to this Consultation...20mph zone whilst understanding 'vehicle emissions generally increase at lower speeds'...did they change traffic light settings improve traffic flow... 🤦🏽

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

They would only pay once per vehicle per day right though?  No matter how many times it enters and leaves the zone?

Yes thats what I understand.

 

and does this not just effect vehicles that do not meet emission standards, so Euro 6 diesel and Euro 4 or 5 petrol??  

I believe that is the system Leeds is going for, so Taxi drivers in a Euro 6 diesel car will not have to pay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, geared said:

Yes thats what I understand.

 

and does this not just effect vehicles that do not meet emission standards, so Euro 6 diesel and Euro 4 or 5 petrol??  

I believe that is the system Leeds is going for, so Taxi drivers in a Euro 6 diesel car will not have to pay?

They will in Sheffield, but other cities haven't opted for that.

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I think you might be amazed by how many trips there actually are per day.

 

All the local authorities in South Yorkshire collect cordon count data on one day per year to provide a consistent data set. It's organised by SYPTE.

 

You can find the data for each year on here: https://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/sheffield-transport-data/

 

Underneath the mode share for 2018 table, there's a link ot download the data set.

 

I can only see number of journeys, not the number of vehicles used to transport them. (as one payment per bus per day)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding clean air, is it time the powers that be reconsidered segways? Electric, compact, easy to use if you've done a 12 hour shift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Regarding clean air, is it time the powers that be reconsidered segways? Electric, compact, easy to use if you've done a 12 hour shift.

They look lethal!

 

Can you try going up Blake Street a couple of times to show us? :hihi:

 

I've seen some 'scooters' (as we called them as kids) not sure what called now. Basically 2 wheel, that you used to propel the machine with one's dominant foot. Now I've seen electric ones, really getting some speed up on Ecclesall Road bus lane. I would probably get one of these if on a non-hilly work commute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

They look lethal!

 

Can you try going up Blake Street a couple of times to show us? :hihi:

 

And coming down would be a good test of the brakes - or very expensive on shoe leather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Longcol said:

And coming down would be a good test of the brakes - or very expensive on shoe leather.

I never thought of coming down road on one!

 

What's worse than lethal?! :hihi:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

They will in Sheffield, but other cities haven't opted for that.

I can only see number of journeys, not the number of vehicles used to transport them. (as one payment per bus per day)

The surveys in question don't go as far as identifying actual vehicles and how often they cross the cordon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

They will in Sheffield...

will they? 

 

we haven't seen the final draft yet, this is the consultation phase.

 

they have to put actual details in the draft, for people to respond to, and it's surely easier to revise 'down'.

 

 

Edited by ads36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to see that the survey says cars won't be included in the charging regime. But if the air quality figures aren't met then SCC might well consider adding cars into the scheme. Well fingers crossed the figures are met, because if they aren't and cars are charged, that will nicely kill the city centre off completely.

 

I bet Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley, Chesterfield and Meadowhall will be rubbing their  hands in glee at all the extra business and jobs that will be coming their way.

 

Of course, if SCC had any sense, (oh look a flying porker), they'd massively increase the amount of park and ride around the city to encourage folks to use public transport. Nicely fixing the air quality. But that wouldn't generate any income for them via the charge, so expanded P&R won't be happening if cars do end up being charged. 

 

You read it here first...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weredoomed said:

Interesting to see that the survey says cars won't be included in the charging regime. But if the air quality figures aren't met then SCC might well consider adding cars into the scheme. Well fingers crossed the figures are met, because if they aren't and cars are charged, that will nicely kill the city centre off completely.

 

I bet Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley, Chesterfield and Meadowhall will be rubbing their  hands in glee at all the extra business and jobs that will be coming their way.

 

Of course, if SCC had any sense, (oh look a flying porker), they'd massively increase the amount of park and ride around the city to encourage folks to use public transport. Nicely fixing the air quality. But that wouldn't generate any income for them via the charge, so expanded P&R won't be happening if cars do end up being charged. 

 

You read it here first...

Yes Q10. Says this:

Your vehicle

We will not be charging cars to drive in the Clean Air Zone, but we will be charging some other types of vehicle, including taxis, lorries and vans (LGVs).

If you use drive one of these types of vehicle for your business, you may wish to complete the consultation for businesses and organisations.

10. Do you drive or have access to a vehicle that would be subject to the proposed charge?

Yes No Don't know
but 4 pages later you see this Question(/Statement):

19. If the Clean Air Zone does not improve air quality enough to meet legal limits, we may have to introduce charging for private cars. To what extent would you support such a move?

To a great extent To a moderate extent To some extent To a small extent Not at all

 

 

I notice that despite being emailed the opening page still hasn't been amended. It's misleading, and not the same figures as on other pages of theirs.

 

It's loaded into shaming taxis buses LGV and HGVs so people will vote 'against them'.

 

 

I mainly use screenshot of webpages these days, but still can't upload pics here, so will have to type some out, or try and find where I found them...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.