Jump to content

Sheffield Clean Air Zone

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

Interesting fact.

During the current crisis, we still have buses running, ( somewhat reduced but still there) We still have trucks running ( in the same numbers approx) We still have Taxis and PHV's running.

The Air quality around the world has never been so good. Whats changed? 

 

 

Amazing isn't it. The taxi forum air pollution member has been posting air quality stats, and only around incinerator looks bad, from my untrained eye!

 

-

 

Also saying if CAZ had been this year, and many invested in electric vehicles would have been catastrophic because work won't get back to normal, for months, probably years, unless a vaccine found tested and shown to work (and even then, socialising will probably be different).

 

-

 

I've also suggested that Hackneys could be swapped insurances over, and drivers like me can volunteer. Don't forget, we all DBS checked and regularly do hospital work anyway. Can't have any man or woman volunteer to take staff or passengers. Other drivers are old, or families or not want to work because it breaks the government advice about distances etc. I would volunteer to take contract work to take staff in to hosps etc. If the buses stop that is. I think probably will soon, it can't be safe for drivers. What's the word from bus drivers do you know? @busdriver1

Edited by *_ash_*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

What's the word from bus drivers do you know? @busdriver1

The ones I have spoken to are concerned but not very worried. Fortunately the previous actions of the public have resulted in vandal assault screens being fitted and they do offer SOME but limited protection. The fact that very few are using buses helps as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

The ones I have spoken to are concerned but not very worried. Fortunately the previous actions of the public have resulted in vandal assault screens being fitted and they do offer SOME but limited protection. The fact that very few are using buses helps as well.

Yes. I'm on a busy route, and not seen more than a couple on.

 

Good news. A bit of a waste, and inefficient, but probably will alter soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Interesting fact.

During the current crisis, we still have buses running, ( somewhat reduced but still there) We still have trucks running ( in the same numbers approx) We still have Taxis and PHV's running.

The Air quality around the world has never been so good. Whats changed? 

 

No Aircraft. Hmmmm

 

It has long been said  that aircraft produce disproportional amount of pollution that is also longer lasting. Will we learn from this? 

Answers on a postcard. 

"No Aircraft. Hmmmm", what do you mean?

 

The current level of PM 2.5 (simply burnt products-) pollution level  in Sheffield is higher  than before the lockdown.

Source Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs reported on the The World Air Quality Index project live website

Edited by Annie Bynnol
pollution source

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pointless bickering can cease! The posts have been removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once this virus is over, I wonder if the number of people working from home will be sufficient to  clean up the city centre's air such that this zone isn't needed? Perhaps SCC shouldn't rush into this. Unless they are overly interested in the income it will generate for them of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Weredoomed said:

Once this virus is over, I wonder if the number of people working from home will be sufficient to  clean up the city centre's air such that this zone isn't needed? Perhaps SCC shouldn't rush into this. Unless they are overly interested in the income it will generate for them of course.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if this goes ahead on time.

 

Future yes,, but, in 1 year the whole transport and work issues - like you say - could be completely different. Even what 3 months ago was 'normal life' is possibly a year away, if at all. Working from home (and food to home) will be more common now.

 

As things are, I can't see any way PHVs can operate safely for at least 3-6 months. The industry will bounce back to some extent, probably in line with bars and restaurants, and home socialising relaxations law, but no where near enough to live on, struggling before this!!

 

 So I'm already looking for different work.

 

Wish I'd finished my Psychology degree and book now! but ah well. :hihi:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.