Sheffield Clean Air Zone

Guest busdriver1
6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

If you're insinuating that all this is being done to generate income from the cameras, you are very wrong. It's being done because of requirements from the government and courts., nothing more than that.

The income from charges should decrease over time as more and more compliant vehicles come into use, so it is certainly not an income stream the government or councils can rely on long term.

Coming from a very reliable source, not one Sheffield based Coach operator is now or plans to be in the future compliant with the CAZ regs. ALL have agreed to pass the charges they will amass daily on to the customers.  So the department are going to be busy for a while yet.

Just now, busdriver1 said:

Coming from a very reliable source, not one Sheffield based Coach operator is now or plans to be in the future compliant with the CAZ regs. ALL have agreed to pass the charges they will amass daily on to the customers.  So the department are going to be busy for a while yet.

Yep. Good post.

Same will happen with PHVs,

and as @Planner1 points out in the last post, hackney number are diminishing as the 15 year limit is reached (or the cab doesn't make it that long!).

PHV companies will charge extra to cover it, I would expect. Hackneys have been told already, no price increase to cover it, so hackney numbers will plummet in the next year or 2.

ads will no doubt argue again that it's right, but it won't achieve much at all, if anything, other than people will have to pay more for taxis, package deliveries and buses. They can't see far enough ahead, and this is why taxis were singled out. Easiest way to get legislation.  (IMO)

Edited by *_ash_*

Just now, Planner1 said:

I think everyone sympathises with this, but there's nothing that can be done without a change to the legislation.

As I understand it, the number of Hackneys is already diminishing and the CAZ may well accelerate this, so perhaps it might actually mean more work for PHV's?

I just commented about these figures, but important point out this, which I didn't in last post.

This is bad for wheelchair passengers, who already struggle to get a good service from the existing fleet.

hackney cabs will be fee-free if they're LPG (or electric...)

the LPG conversion costs around £10k, there will be a grant to help, and the fuel costs are much lower.

Edited by ads36

7 hours ago, ads36 said:

hackney cabs will be fee-free if they're LPG (or electric...)

the LPG conversion costs around £10k, there will be a grant to help, and the fuel costs are much lower.

Have you just been looking things up on the internet to post this after so long?!*

This has already been known in the trade for a while, and it's a non-starter. I'll try and ask the union rep for the figures on this, as it was over a year since I remember talking about this before in the taxi forum*. Might not get response quick though, they are all busy as the consultation has been posted up. I've seen screenshots of it.

*we might have discussed it in here, but the search facility on threads doesn't work on this new software, and I doubt anyone wants to read 22 pages again!

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

Have you just been looking things up on the internet to post this after so long?!*

I was replying to the post above mine, which was complaining about how the plans for the clean air zone will be bad for hackney cabs.

A quick Google suggests there will be something approaching adequate mitigation.

I don't know why you'd have to read 22 pages to see that...

Just now, ads36 said:

I was replying to the post above mine, which was complaining about how the plans for the clean air zone will be bad for hackney cabs.

A quick Google suggests there will be something approaching adequate mitigation.

but you won't post the evidence you found?

not wasting any more time in here.

The report is easy to find on google (not), and the quality of it is there for each to judge themselves.

I'm not commenting on it here or anywhere online.

Evidence?

1) I looked at the council website

2) I googled : hackney cab LPG conversion. And looked at a few prices.

Edited by ads36

Just now, ads36 said:

Evidence?

1) I looked at the council website

2) I googled : hackney cab LPG conversion. And looked at a few prices.

Yes, I thought so.

I google exactly your words, and this was 3rd in the list:

though my google lists will obviously be different, and this is a side note, until I get the figures to how this fitted in with Sheffield:

link: https://www.london.gov.uk/questions/2016/3860

Answer for LPG conversion for London Cabs

Answered By: 
The Mayor
Date: 
Monday, 8th January 2018

Transport for London will introduce new licensing requirements from 1 January 2018 to reduce emissions from the taxi fleet by phasing out diesel taxis and increasing the number of zero emission capable (ZEC) vehicles in London. This is a positive step towards achieving my ambition of cleaning London's polluted air, and I am pleased that our world-renowned taxis will be at the forefront of my initiative, pioneering cutting edge, green technology in the Capital.

Whilst widespread LPG conversion can help to remove diesel, it remains a bridging fuel and its air quality and CO2 benefits are far below those of ZEC technology. I believe it is important to offer a clear direction to the trade and this means focussing our efforts on initiatives that prioritise and accelerate ZEC taxis and that remove older vehicles from the fleet. Therefore, I currently do not intend to divert investment towards LPG retrofit.

----

Not sure I'd even bother spending £10k on a conversion when the 3rd highest link is the mayor of london saying what they'll do. You think Sheffield is more powerful than London? dream work mate.

It's a non-starter, so you can carry on with all these responses to problems you obviously don't know anything about. I'm not wasting any more time on it.

Same all over.

I've just seen Uber driver online crashed into Fire Station... everyone criticising taxi drivers. Anyone notice the plate on it? Is this driver related to me in any way whatsoever? NO.

Just now, ads36 said:

figures as I said I would post:

courtesy of Lee Ward ALPHA

Hackneys Stats for 2020

Was 857 now down to 730

TX models are 52 less than last year

Only 21 TX models are under 8 year old for LPG conversion

57 are in their final year

702 are NOT Euro 6, only 28 are

Average age is 10.43 years which is older than the average in 2019 by 0.26

Private Hire Stats for 2020

2026 licensed, that's 84 more than 2019

218 are in their final year

1408 are NOT Euro 6, only 618 are

Average age is 5.36 which is older than the average in 2019 by 0.14

Hybrid stats will be done tomorrow...

-

So your google solution works for 21 of 730.

crikey, sheffield's taxis are ancient.

and most of them aren't even euro6 compliant, they'll need changing asap whatever happens.

Guest busdriver1

Edited by busdriver1