Jump to content

Sheffield Clean Air Zone

Recommended Posts

and what happens if it doesn't work as well as they claim?

 

Will they revert the changes and admit a mistake was made?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, geared said:

and what happens if it doesn't work as well as they claim?

 

Will they revert the changes and admit a mistake was made?

I’d rather doubt whether any further changes would be made unless there were. Very serious problems, which I would not expect to be the case as it isn’t as well used as it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Since when has living in a place been a pre-qualification for working on a project that’s happening there?

 

These are professional engineers and planners who will do a good job, wherever they happen to live.

History is littered with public bodies giving big chunks of money to consultants/IT bods etc and getting the equivalent of a bag of magic beans, and specifically its not like SCC havent given the green light to some zingers in the past. But, fair enough can you give us an example of a previous traffic project that they did successfully?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In trade meetings that I attend, government have already warned SCC that their targets will not work and a Cat D will be required, meaning that all transport including private cars will be charged, so why are they only saying that they may have to?

 

They should be saying probably have to....

Edited by Lee_Ward_ALPHA
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Planner1 said:

1. And here’s the problem. You’re a driver and think you know what will happen, because you think you know better than the people who are actually paid to design traffic schemes and work out what will happen. Every driver thinks they are a transport planner.

 

2. The Council employ professional traffic engineers who have sophisticated and very expensive traffic models which will simulate what will happen. So, they’ve modelled the outcomes and clearly aren’t worried. I’d trust their judgement.

 

3. you also should recognise that moving traffic as quick as possible isn’t what makes a city attractive. Placemaking plays a big part in that. That’s what’s happening at Castlegate.

1. Nice patronising start, thanks for judging me in no way at all.

 

May I refer you to my post about Moore Street 2 lane feeder system being poorly marked and slowed traffic, I never emailed SCC, but it changed to exactly how I wrote it. Written in 2005 .

 

Or this post from 2005, predicting the development of Kelham Island, and discussing the new ring road. How's that working out? It looks to me every day when I pass Kelham Island that they didn't design it right in the first place, hence why so many changes going on. Did the traffic models and simulation have my local knowledge?

 

2015, the Furnival Square markings that were wrong, and still are.

 

Meadowhead millions spent, same wrong painting - 2015

 

Dangerous line painting, on 2 points of Tinsley Roundabout 2017 (now altered)

 

2007 - Poor new lane marking on Wicker - now altered

 

2007 - New access to Park Square (see post 4 for poor prediction), this was fine, and the added bus lane (on other direction) has worked well (up until the bottle neck at Lady's Bridge. 12 years ago Planner. And still right.

 

 

Doesn't matter though if they don't live in the city. They are experts 😆

 

To be fair, if this site's new search engine worked better, I could find hundreds of examples.

 

 

 

2. Did they model the new pedestrian area at Fitzalan Square that CLEARLY isn't wide enough now for 2 buses to turn in synchronisation. One has to give way to the other. (and as taxis we have to adjust driving too to account for what is in front). The flow has caused a jam at this junction.

 

Charter Square (brings up so many posts of mine that I can't find the one's I want. This is a complete mess, and anyone using it knows it. I spend several minutes at those lights many times a day, as it is useless.

 

All that 'open lovely space for the children to play' (never seen a single person sat on it, who looked conscious... and no where for pick up drop off for taxis, so we have to get beeped by buses, ... do you or they think I want to hold stop somewhere stupid?

 

Guess what planners of Sheffield. People use taxis to go to and from cinemas. People who AREN'T taxis, also want to drop off their kids or family at the cinema or pick them up.

 

3. I've already mentioned Castle gate so won't go on.

 

People who get buses want to move from one place to another. Same with taxis. This could easily be a bus and taxi only zone, or do what is all over London... A pedestrian zone at different times.

 

Well, my oldest post link here is 14 years ago and was entirely right, and we'll have to see in 14 years again.

 

 

 

Edited by *_ash_*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

 

Or this post from 2005, predicting the development of Kelham Island, and discussing the new ring road. How's that working out? It looks to me every day when I pass Kelham Island that they didn't design it right in the first place, hence why so many changes going on. Did the traffic models and simulation have my local knowledge?

 

 

Have you quoted the right post

 

Doesn't mention anything about the design of the "ring road" (inner relief road) apart from saying changes were needed (presumably to road layout that existed then) and you thought some buildings that could be saved will be lost.

Edited by Longcol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Have you quoted the right post

 

Doesn't mention anything about the design of the "ring road" (inner relief road) apart from saying changes were needed (presumably to road layout that existed then) and you thought some buildings that could be saved will be lost.

I had to use links that I saved years ago in my firefox account. I can't find anything with SF search engine, so possibly not right one.  Are the others ok though!? I posted 5 or 6 to be sure to find some links.

 

Though, saying that, I predicted in that post that Kelham Island would be successful if they retained the old look.

 

Quote

written September 18, 2005:

 

look at some of the 'redeveloped from old factories' apartment complexes, and i guaratee, that in 10 years, they will be the only ones will any value.

 

 

I wrote this after doing a film there, which is interesting, as I was filming the old layout, and you can see the difference now in the area. I filmed this in 2005 at same time as post.

 

Worth a look. I notice that Milestone, looks like was a total rebuild, you can breifly see it as I drive past it. :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Lee_Ward_ALPHA said:

In trade meetings that I attend, government have already warned SCC that their targets will not work and a Cat D will be required, meaning that all transport including private cars will be charged, so why are they only saying that they may have to?

 

They should be saying probably have to....

The bit.loaded/and@lies.com on the matrix board , doesn't want the truth, that's why.

 

The Tory government propose this, and Labour don't argue it, and claim they have no choice because they aren't in government. It's the usual political environment. Labour have to keep the greens/cyclists/ etc. happy.

 

The only losers in this will be the public, as buses and taxis will just pass the fare on... and they'll pay themselves eventually on a personal level. You have to get to Question 19 to get to this stage though, by which time, all the loaded questions will favour taxing taxis and buses.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Labour have to keep the greens/cyclists/ etc. happy.

They're doing a terrible job of that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ads36 said:

They're doing a terrible job of that...

So it's a double lose then. I know from the cyclists FB group that they all in favour of it. Green will be too.

 

Green in Sheffield tend to be well to do IMO, so they are going to support it, even though it won't help the environment in any way. It's just taking £70 out of my wage packet every week. I don't know any taxi driver who is honest, who makes more than min wage.

 

Let's also introduce the bus strikes over pay. This year, fair increase, next year year unfair increase... why do you think that is? Because they've offered 16p / hour (will have to check exact figures), but this is most likely because £50 per bus per day will cripple the profits of the bus companies, hence they will pass this on, with no pay rises.

 

 

These Labour/Greens/lefties who argue for working people have sold out to the middle class, and people can't see it.

 

Look at the london protests with young people... never heard anything other than a posh accent from the protesters that made news.

 

Edited by *_ash_*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

So it's a double lose then. I know from the cyclists FB group that they all in favour of it. Green will be too.

 

Green in Sheffield tend to be well to do IMO, so they are going to support it, even though it won't help the environment in any way. It's just taking £70 out of my wage packet every week. I don't know any taxi driver who is honest, who makes more than min wage.

 

Let's also introduce the bus strikes over pay. This year, fair increase, next year year unfair increase... why do you think that is? Because they've offered 16p / hour (will have to check exact figures), but this is most likely because £50 per bus per day will cripple the profits of the bus companies, hence they will pass this on, with no pay rises.

 

 

These Labour/Greens/lefties who argue for working people have sold out to the middle class, and people can't see it.

 

Look at the london protests with young people... never heard anything other than a posh accent from the protesters that made news.

 

just to add, the current revolution lot that came to the LMS , even the head guy in charge of all the protesters couldn't answer A SINGLE question that was put to him about how to solve the problem. Just a load of kids having a party and claiming that they know everything.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.