Sheffield Clean Air Zone

43 minutes ago, prince al said:

Then why are the council promoting bus lanes? Don’t answer to get people out of their cars as it won’t happen.

Because these have been requested by the operators, to improve the bus services  time-keeping - a major gripe of bus-users.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prince al said:

Then why are the council promoting bus lanes? Don’t answer to get people out of their cars as it won’t happen.

Wanting to promote modal shift to tackle congestion and climate change is not the same as having legal powers to regulate the bus companies. 

13 hours ago, prince al said:

Basically because the government wants them to.

The government  provide the money for transport schemes and the main thrust of their funding in recent years has been about promoting public transport and active travel ( walking and cycling).

A lot of people who use the bus also have a car. They just make the most appropriate choice for that journey.

Bus lanes help to speed up bus journeys and keep the journey times more consistent. Those are major factors in his viable the bus is as an alternative to car travel.

Bus lanes mostly don’t affect car journey times. The bus lanes generally end before a major junction, they just get the bus further towards the front of the queue at that junction. They don’t affect junction capacity which is the main cause of delays to general traffic. The bits in between the junctions are generally free flowing out of peak hours, so having a bus lane there doesn’t affect car drivers at all.

All local authorities across the country are implementing the same types of bus priority measures and schemes to encourage active travel, because that’s what the government will give them the money to do and those schemes fit with local, regional and national policy. Local Authorities generally have policies which reflect those of central government because that’s where the money comes from.

• Like 2

On 09/11/2021 at 10:04, Jack Grey said:

Im not sure what im gonna do.

I live at Park Hill flats and i drive a work van so its gonna cost me £10.00 a day plus the £50.00 a month i pay to park outside my flat.

Thats over £350 a month because i live in the city centre.

So i'll have to quit my job which i just cant afford to do at the moment

😡 😡 😡 😡 😡

But yet can afford to go to Florida for the whole winter. Aye ok.

Siri, show me "delusion"...

Screenshot-20230325-191059-Facebook.jpg

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Haha 1

On 23/03/2023 at 16:08, HeHasRisen said:

But yet can afford to go to Florida for the whole winter. Aye ok.

I think by now he may have realised Park Hill is outside the IRR.

• Haha 1

On 28/10/2022 at 08:25, Planner1 said:

What was it that Andy Burnham did that was so wonderful?

Unfortunately there’s no “fair” way of addressing the air pollution issue. 

Who is actually being “demonised” and how?

It can be argued that the CAZ’s are fair in that they target the most polluting vehicles. Polluter pays, it’s a simple concept. 

Who exactly is having their wages “stolen”?

Price is an effective way of managing demand. People generally have choices. For example I don’t like paying for parking, so I park outside areas where I’d pay and walk a bit. That’s ok for me but might not suit others, but there’s a choice. 

Regarding the Sheffield CAZ, I have some sympathy for the hackney cab drivers, who tend not to be too well off ,  but the truth is that their vehicles are one of the most polluting, so if we want a solution which deals with the problem, they must be part of it. That might mean the cost of using cabs increases, but if we want better public health, that’s what has to happen.  Nothing is free and there is never an easy way to address these issues. 

If you can think of a better way, let’s hear it.

You may remember the pandemic? He stood up to the UK Govt because the package offered was not enough, maybe this is something you and your cronies could try one-time?

On 27/10/2022 at 12:11, AndrewC said:

I drive semi-regularly - it's not 'us & them'. When I talk about 'drivers', I include myself and anyone else who has ever spent time behind a wheel.

It's I just fully appreciate the true costs of my driving, and accept that I have to pay them.

It pains me that we've built a world where so many people have to rely on car ownership to get about their daily lives - cars are a money pit and you can thank the car industry and governments/councils who have doubled-down on policies of road-building and suburbanisation for so long for that.

So you're not one of 'them' because 'you drive semi-regularly' I see. But endorse theft from motorists with no viable alternative...

Edited by 26b-6