Sheffield Clean Air Zone

Given the remarkable change in air quality China has seen from the virus outbreak maybe we should just follow suit and clean things up that way?

china_trop_2020056-e1a9c9a00d871f9e5dda6

Edited by geared

@geared - you mean bring the country to a standstill?  -  Not a real option, IMHO.

Youtube film from Lee Ward ALPHA

11 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Youtube film from Lee Ward ALPHA

I'd have more sympathy for taxi drivers if they stopped ROUTINELY breaking the law whilst driving. 

I drive around the city for a living, everyday I see:

Speeding 

Reckless driving (especially cutting up large vehicles such as buses) 

Illegally parking

Driving whilst using electronic devices. 

Just now, Resident said:

I'd have more sympathy for taxi drivers if they stopped ROUTINELY breaking the law whilst driving. 

I drive around the city for a living, everyday I see:

Speeding 

Reckless driving (especially cutting up large vehicles such as buses) 

Illegally parking

Driving whilst using electronic devices. 

No you wouldn't, same as every other dig at taxis in here. I drive every day and see the same from other drivers too.

This is about clean air and sheffield taxis being punished for it.

Feel free to read back in the thread. When this is implemented which it will because most people think the same as you, you'll all be next once those cameras are up. Then people will be interested but it will be too late. Not one political party is against it, so you'll find no help there, because whether it makes a difference to the pollution or not, £42million is a lot of money to recoup from the installation of the cameras.

There's a couple extra variants of Euro 6 now aren't they?

So whats to stop the authorities one day moving the goal posts?  "Euro 6 is now bad, Euro 6b is the one"

Can't have people chopping and changing cars every couple of years to please someone at the council.

Just now, geared said:

There's a couple extra variants of Euro 6 now aren't they?

So whats to stop the authorities one day moving the goal posts?  "Euro 6 is now bad, Euro 6b is the one"

Can't have people chopping and changing cars every couple of years to please someone at the council.

We're not allowed to use euro6 anyway, so matters not to us, but this will probably the way that things work out for the public in the future.

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

and being helped to work past it.

6 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

this will probably the way that things work out for the public in the future.

good, get on with it.

this has been on the cards for decades. it's time to do something.

Edited by ads36

No you wouldn't, same as every other dig at taxis in here. I drive every day and see the same from other drivers too.

Feel free to read back in the thread. When this is implemented which it will because most people think the same as you, you'll all be next once those cameras are up. Then people will be interested but it will be too late. Not one political party is against it, so you'll find no help there, because whether it makes a difference to the pollution or not, £42million is a lot of money to recoup from the installation of the cameras.

If you're insinuating that all this is being done to generate income from the cameras, you are very wrong. It's being done because of requirements from the government and courts., nothing more than that.

The income from charges should decrease over time as more and more compliant vehicles come into use, so it is certainly not an income stream the government or councils can rely on long term.

You're right that there are good and bad drivers of every type, but, because taxis/PHV's are an easily identifiable group, they attract greater scrutiny. In my experience, ordinary drivers often feel (perhaps without any great justification) that taxi/PHV drivers are getting away with things that a normal driver wouldn't. People also see older taxis with smoking exhausts and drivers sitting with engines idling for long periods, so they also perceive them as being significant polluters. Therefore the public don't tend to have a lot of sympathy with the taxi/PHV community when they are complaining about being more tightly regulated.

Because the public don't have great sympathy for them, they are an easy target politically. Political parties won't lose many votes by being firm with them. However political parties would lose votes if they charged car drivers, so no cities outside London are looking to do that if they can possibly avoid it.

Edited by Planner1

Just now, Planner1 said:

If you're insinuating that all this is being done to generate income from the cameras, you are very wrong.

What concerns me is that at the moment since the dereg the city has been flooded with OOTs, and my earnings haven't been over £200 in 18 of the last 20 weeks... and from this time next  year, I will have to pay £70/wk to work. Not likely I can continue doing it.

Just now, ads36 said:

and being helped to work past it.

Yes. I'm being helped, by £70/wk if I buy a new car at 30k. Hardly a carrot.

a new car with hugely reduced running costs.

and there'll be financial assistance, in the form of a deposit, or something...

i'm guessing that this help is only available to 'sheffield' taxis, not 'calderdale' taxis?

Edited by ads36

What concerns me is that at the moment since the dereg the city has been flooded with OOTs, and my earnings haven't been over £200 in 18 of the last 20 weeks... and from this time next  year, I will have to pay £70/wk to work. Not likely I can continue doing it.

Yes. I'm being helped, by £70/wk if I buy a new car at 30k. Hardly a carrot.

I think everyone sympathises with this, but there's nothing that can be done without a change to the legislation.

As I understand it, the number of Hackneys is already diminishing and the CAZ may well accelerate this, so perhaps it might actually mean more work for PHV's?