Sheffield Clean Air Zone

More and more poober are flooding the city from cars licensed elsewhere and yet the council are asking us to get into debt for 60k ,what planet are they on?.

Just now, rudds1 said:

Well according to the star 100 taxi drivers have quit as they say they can’t afford the money to replace their currant cars 

Someone will no doubt say 'more work for others!' - yes, out of town ones! :hihi:

Just now, rayggb said:

More and more poober are flooding the city from cars licensed elsewhere and yet the council are asking us to get into debt for 60k ,what planet are they on?.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the people of Sheffield speak up, the ones who complained about monopoly of hackneys and how rich they all are...

coincidence that since the deregulation (which London conveniently excluded itself from), there is no more 'paying each other for taxi plates', in fact there are around 70 now that are vacant.

Anyone out of a job? 70 hackney licenses up for grabs, and as the months go on, there'll be more!

This is a bit of a forgotten topic now. Surprisingly really considering it will affect everyone eventually.

The taxi forum has been asking about the survey for months, and considering this was online only survey, I can't believe how long this has taken.

-

However, I have news. In the taxi forum, we have an email (dated 27th Jan) saying ''[...] the consultation responses should be published with this week or next [...]''

:)

looking forward to this!

In Saint Austell, Cornwall C&C taxis have been running a fleet of Nissan leafs for years now. Their experience is one of a reduced number of fares but massively increased profit margin due to the lower running costs of electric vehicles.  I`m certain that our council could put charging points on the approach road to the railway station and other places where our taxi drivers spend most of their time waiting. Not rocket science really. Interested ? google C&C taxis and have a look at the Fully Charged YouTube channel. Welcome to the modern world !!  

3 hours ago, Derek56 said:

In Saint Austell, Cornwall C&C taxis have been running a fleet of Nissan leafs for years now. Their experience is one of a reduced number of fares but massively increased profit margin due to the lower running costs of electric vehicles.  I`m certain that our council could put charging points on the approach road to the railway station and other places where our taxi drivers spend most of their time waiting. Not rocket science really. Interested ? google C&C taxis and have a look at the Fully Charged YouTube channel. Welcome to the modern world !!  

Yes but the leafs are not wheelchair friendly and they are not £60k,probably £90k with interest !

26 minutes ago, rayggb said:

Yes but the leafs are not wheelchair friendly and they are not £60k,probably £90k with interest !

They're £27k on Nissan website. Are radios very expensive?

53 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

They're £27k on Nissan website. Are radios very expensive?

Sorry I meant the wheelchair cabs electic(hybrid) they want us to buy are 60k ,90k with interest.have to be wheelchair accessible black cab in Sheffield .

32 minutes ago, rayggb said:

Sorry I meant the wheelchair cabs electic(hybrid) they want us to buy are 60k ,90k with interest.have to be wheelchair accessible black cab in Sheffield .

Again, those lifts must be expensive Nissan e nv200 starting at £23k (plus vat possibly and the cost of a conversion). If they're trying to pen you into buying a specific, expensive vehicle when there are clearly cheaper alternatives about, that isn't on.

6 hours ago, Derek56 said:

I looked it up...  also because I thought City Taxis were aiming to be the first all electric fleet in Europe (The Star, few weeks ago).

It's not really comparable with Sheffield, or city work in general, by the sounds of it. It's a fleet of 13 (link from 2017 though)

Much easier for them to get and charge more cheaply too with a small fleet:

C&C uses British Gas for its electricity on a business tariff and its depot has three 7kw DBT fast chargers and three DBT 3.3kw trickle chargers.

This wouldn't be possible in Sheffield with around 2100 PHV and 750 Hackney carriages.

Also towns and villages, aren't like cities now, because since the law change, people can get mickeymouse licenses and compete with Sheffield Licensed drivers who are strictly checked (mainly vehicle when talking expenses). All the big cities are flooded with 'out of town drivers' (which are really in town drivers, who can't pass the Sheffield knowledge test). This has reduced earning potential for genuine Sheffield drivers.

If you want a Hackney in Sheffield, the new LEVC is around 60k. Not much uptake so far. 2 in Sheffield so far. (and one of those blew up the other week)

You can tell how much money is available to make now, as the cap on hackneys is 867, and last 2 years is first time in decades that there hasn't been a queue.

-

I therefore think that although this line isn't applicable to Sheffield drivers:

Their experience is one of a reduced number of fares but massively increased profit margin due to the lower running costs of electric vehicles.

and also:

I don't believe this bit:

Their experience is one of a reduced number of fares but massively increased profit margin due to the lower running costs of electric vehicles.

That sounds more like someone trying to sell me an electric car.

-

also worth noting some environmental issues:

Financial Times

Amnesty International

Daily Mail (just so you can say - don't believe everything you read in the papers!)

-

Looks like the company is good though, and a good place to ask questions. My first one would be, what are the hills like around their work area?

Edited by *_ash_*

I've also later seen that the drivers aren't owner drivers. The company owns the vehicles. This isn't what the majority of Sheffield drivers are.

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

and one of those blew up the other week

If it's the same incident that I'm aware of, it was petrol bombed.