Sheffield Clean Air Zone

Let's face it, the CAZ is just another nail in the coffin of the city centre.

I very rarely go there these days. In fact, apart from occasionally using part of the IRR to take the missus to/from work and picking the daughter up from the station now and again, I can't recall the last time I went into the city centre itself, early this year at a guess?

God-awful one way/otherwise restricted road system, expensive parking, tatty shops and chuggers/chavs all over the place. Best avoided. 

If SCC and planner1 want a nice city centre for pedestrians to wander around in, sure, the CAZ is just the ticket. The chavs will be able to mug the chuggers in a nice, clean air environment. How nice.

Edited by Weredoomed

2 hours ago, Weredoomed said:

Let's face it, the CAZ is just another nail in the coffin of the city centre.

I very rarely go there these days. In fact, apart from occasionally using part of the IRR to take the missus to/from work and picking the daughter up from the station now and again, I can't recall the last time I went into the city centre itself, early this year at a guess?

God-awful one way/otherwise restricted road system, expensive parking, tatty shops and chuggers/chavs all over the place. Best avoided. 

If SCC and planner1 want a nice city centre for pedestrians to wander around in, sure, the CAZ is just the ticket. The chavs will be able to mug the chuggers in a nice, clean air environment. How nice.

That is a reason I'm not arguing that private cars should be charged, rather that the whole thing is a bad idea.

Good work is being done to bring life back to the City Centre with new developments and schemes to smarten up neglected parts of town and to promote the fact to potential visitors. City Centre living is also booming with all the new apartments and other residential schemes.

The road layout is designed so cars follow the ring road to the desired part of town then straight into a multi storey car park or alternatively a cheaper scrap of land pay and display jobbie just outside the City Centre.

Buses and trams need priority and need to be attractive, however the City Centre needs to be accessible to all including cars and commercial LGV/HGVs to ensure businesses are a success - it just needs balancing with the needs to keep the City Centre a pleasant place to visit and therefore managed.

I don't think the Clean Air Zone charge is the right tool for the job.

Edited by Andy C

On 15/08/2019 at 21:03, *_ash_* said:

---

also, do you have any info on the new closure at the LMS?

It was chaos today even when quiet.

@Planner1

You've definitely read this post.

I bet your 'old friends' told you to not comment.

:hihi:

Guest busdriver1

I own a transit van and would be subject to the charge. I very rarely visit Sheffield by choice and this would reduce my visits to zero. There are other places where i can do business that also have the advantage of not being Sheffield. Win Win for me.

last chance to take part in the consultation survey, it closes 25th August https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/pollution-nuisance/clean-air-zone.html

In my opinion the idea should be opposed - it will hit bus based public transport increasing costs and red tape which will lead to either reduced number of bus services serving the City Centre or higher fares; it will increase the cost of living or doing business in the City Centre and be generally damaging to the economy.

Yes, there are environmental concerns that do need addressing, but there are better ways of doing so. Encouraging more people to use public transport, creating operating conditions for bus operators where they can justify investing more in new hybrid or electric vehicles, investing in new tram lines (which of course are electric), lobbying the government to electrify the railways through Sheffield and providing encouragement for van and taxi owners to invest in newer, cleaner vehicles.

Edited by Andy C

Another knee jerk reaction for the flavour of the year 'climate change' . Let's drive even more people away from the city centre, another tax on the motorist and businesses. I'm sorry but the buses are unreliable and sometimes don't turn up and tram doesn't touch my postcode. I think the townhall has this vision of us all riding around on bicycles. I'm sick of all these green activist banging the climate change drum. How do they think the clothes they wear and food they eat actually arrives in shops. 

On 24/08/2019 at 15:58, Andy C said:

last chance to take part in the consultation survey, it closes 25th August https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/pollution-nuisance/clean-air-zone.html

In my opinion the idea should be opposed - it will hit bus based public transport increasing costs and red tape which will lead to either reduced number of bus services serving the City Centre or higher fares; it will increase the cost of living or doing business in the City Centre and be generally damaging to the economy.

Yes, there are environmental concerns that do need addressing, but there are better ways of doing so. Encouraging more people to use public transport, creating operating conditions for bus operators where they can justify investing more in new hybrid or electric vehicles, investing in new tram lines (which of course are electric), lobbying the government to electrify the railways through Sheffield and providing encouragement for van and taxi owners to invest in newer, cleaner vehicles.

Encouraging people how? Unless you decrease the cost of public transport, you will not gain the increases you need to appreciably improve air quality in the centre. The council can control it in a very few number of ways, and implementing a London style ultra low emissions zone is proven to be effective. 

5 hours ago, gazza c said:

I think the townhall has this vision of us all riding around on bicycles. 

If you read their policies, yes, they do.

That is something that all councils are doing as it's a reflection of national policy to get more people walking and cycling, because of the obvious health benefits, as well as reducing congestion and improving air quality.

1 hour ago, Albert the Cat said:

Unless you decrease the cost of public transport, you will not gain the increases you need to appreciably improve air quality in the centre. 

Sadly I'm not sure that would be the answer. I've seen studies that indicated that the majority of car drivers wouldn't use public transport if it were free.

In my view, the only way to get people out of their cars is to make it too difficult / too expensive to use them. 

1,445 cyclist casualties – including three deaths, 314 serious casualties and 1,128 slight injuries in Sheffield in the last 10 years

perhaps not as healthy as they would have us believe

5 hours ago, gazza c said:

Let's drive even more people away from the city centre, another tax on the motorist and businesses. 

A lot of people already come to the city centre by public transport or non car based means. Businesses tend to massively overestimate the number of people who come to them by car and  studies have confirmed this. This is one of them: http://cidadanialxmob.tripod.com/shoppersandhowtheytravel.pdf

Our addition to motorised transport is the cause of the problem. The only way out of it is to make the transport less polluting, or if that can't be achieved, make enough people travel another way and probably the best way to do that is by making car use more expensive (for example by a congestion charge or making parking more expensive) or by making car use more difficult (by restricting the number of parking spaces and/or making parking more expensive).

13 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

1,445 cyclist casualties – including three deaths, 314 serious casualties and 1,128 slight injuries in Sheffield in the last 10 years

How many casualties were there in motor vehicles ? Or pedestrians?

How many suffered medical conditions as a result of vehicle produced air pollution?

23 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

You can see the most recent casualty stats for all modes of transport here: http://sysrp.co.uk/uploadedFiles/Content/News/Sheffield 2017 road casualty statistics dashboard.pdf

Well according to the star 100 taxi drivers have quit as they say they can’t afford the money to replace their currant cars