Sheffield Clean Air Zone

4 hours ago, geared said:

£300 a week for a Tesla?  Ouch!

The battery (in the one you need for Taxi work) is 75kWh, at 39p per kWh you're looking at nearly 30 quid to charge it.

Is everyone just going to get licenced from another council and dodge the charge?

It'll need  recharging at least once in a day. That's about double what I pay in diesel everyday. This whole thing looks like going to be pricey to be clean!

No, they are using ANPR cameras that 'will link into a countrywide database' of PHVs and Hacks. apparently. However if it doesn't work, or somewhere is exempt, then I imagine 3000 phvs heading there in the days after! 😂

2 hours ago, rayggb said:

I think I'll just refuse to drop in the city centre.i suppose it could be a spur to get a proper job after 30 years of putting it off!. I suppose We could also create a virtual city centre on the tinternet?,maybe that's a way to get round it,drive a virtual taxi from my bedroom!,wow who says I'm not MODERN!.

I think the PHV companies will put £1-2 on any fares that use the ring road (or obviously into town). Same with tech companies. It's easy these days with GPS. Hackneys will have to buy a 60k one, or soak up the charge, as Cllr Scott said at the meeting, that Hackney fares WOULD NOT be increased to counter the charge.

-

I think customers if they are not going to the centre will say ''go this way to avoid it'' putting more cars in urban areas that surround the ring road. e.g. off top of my head Collegiate Cres will become a highway.

In the council text - IN THE FIRST LINE - it says '' Living alongside a busy road carries the same risk as passively smoking 10 cigarettes a day. Air pollution can permanently damage children's lungs.''

(doesn't mention adults, it's an odd sentence - does it not permanently damage ours? or just temporarily damage them (or not at all!)

This will mean our death machines* will be MORE in urban areas.

(*which by their figures contribute to 2% of Sheffield's NOx) -  not50% as the loaded text implies).

Maybe the city centre will move out of town,just like parkgate' 'IS'  Rotherham  !.

Great pity that the council do not do more themselves to help the situation

As many will know the junction by Mowbray Street and the A61 is undergoing major roadworks and the bus taxi lane link is closed (mind you not sure what purpose it served anyway).  the council once again  have not thought to change the traffic lights to reflect the fact there is no traffic (in this case to keep the left hand filter on to Mowbray street on green unless pedestrians wish to cross) Not only does it hold up traffic but of course with unnecessary stop and starting simple wastes energy and adds to pollution.

1 hour ago, amnicoll said:

As many will know the junction by Mowbray Street and the A61 is undergoing major roadworks and the bus taxi lane link is closed (mind you not sure what purpose it served anyway).  the council once again  have not thought to change the traffic lights to reflect the fact there is no traffic (in this case to keep the left hand filter on to Mowbray street on green unless pedestrians wish to cross) Not only does it hold up traffic but of course with unnecessary stop and starting simple wastes energy and adds to pollution.

From Mowbray Street side its use isn't as noticeable, but from the other side it kept buses off the loop to get around.

Since it's already difficult at peak times to get out of Nursery street due to standing traffic on Bridgehouses, it's made Nursery Street into a car park now.

I did it yesterday, and learned my lesson. I'm not going that way again!

How many buses are there that used this "short cut"?

1 hour ago, amnicoll said:

Changing the sequence of a set of signals isn't an easy or quick thing. Changing the amount of green time a particular approach gets is usually fairly easy, but if you want to alter the sequence in any way it's a vastly bigger job.

7 hours ago, amnicoll said:

How many buses are there that used this "short cut"?

Well I was stood on Nursery St for about 20 mins yesterday, and there were 3 in the queue behind me. It's almost impossible to get out and into the far right lane (to aim for Mowbray Street), so often only 1 or 2 cars per light sequence.

21 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Changing the sequence of a set of signals isn't an easy or quick thing. Changing the amount of green time a particular approach gets is usually fairly easy, but if you want to alter the sequence in any way it's a vastly bigger job.

How long are the works due to close the "link"?

If it is easy to alter the timing then one might ask why they  do not reduce the amount of time the left hand is showing red

On 01/08/2019 at 10:31, amnicoll said:

If it is easy to alter the timing then one might ask why they  do not reduce the amount of time the left hand is showing red

I've pointed out this thread to SCC Traffic Control and they say they are monitoring the traffic and don't believe there are any significant delay issues. 

I don't know which "left hand" you mean, so difficult to comment. It may well be to do with what other approaches are showing green at the same time (ie the stage sequence of the signals, which, as I explained, is difficult to change). 

Edited by Planner1

All it needs is the taxi and bus boss's to get together and tell the council no we're not agreeing to it. 18 mths notice is a joke to be fair . A new electric bus isnt cheap. A few days strikes on Bus ,taxis and hgv deliveries will bring the city centre to its knees. This isnt London and yet they want to charge London congestion prices. And most phv and taxi ,buses etc are low polluting diesels anyway

The council have no idea of cab drivers low incomes compared to previous times .

23 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I've pointed out this thread to SCC Traffic Control and they say they are monitoring the traffic and don't believe there are any significant delay issues. 

I don't know which "left hand" you mean, so difficult to comment. It may well be to do with what other approaches are showing green at the same time (ie the stage sequence of the signals, which, as I explained, is difficult to change). 

I am not sure of the name but coming from A61 and turning left into Mowbray street rather than heading straight on to Chatham street (which does of course have conflicting traffic)

My complain is not so much the delays but the the extra pollution caused by traffic having to stop and start unnecessarily and the frustration but I have seen traffic stuck coming down from the Parkway trying to get round