Sheffield Clean Air Zone

5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

The cost savings actually sound quite impressive though.

The cost savings can be quite wildly overstated in some places, it's actually very hard to properly estimate it due to the differing costs of charging the car.

For example at home you pay roughly 14p/kWh, but at some public stations you can pay upwards of 40p/kWh.

The efficiencies of the various EV's differ as well, the Tesla Model 3 for example gives about 2.5-3 miles per kWh.

So roughly the Tesla does 5p/mile to 14p/mile depending on what you pay for the electric.

A modern diesel car will knock out around 11p/mile , so while the electric car can be much cheaper, it might also not be.  

You'd need to smash out loads of miles in the electric car to offset the massive price difference.

of course this doesn't take into account maintenance costs.

Edited by geared

If this council push this throo

I'm sure private hire and hackney trade will desolve 

50k for a Tesla or hackney

No thanks not for a job that returns minimum wage if I'm lucky

7 minutes ago, deam1967 said:

Get a pedal power rickshaw maybe? 

10 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

Its crossed my mind lol

Having been in the taxi trade for almost 4 decades and (if it was a good paying job I might be doing something else by now) was looking to continue working for another ten years,  not now.  What are the chances of a 61 year old getting a £50k loan and further being able to pay it off at the earning of today? There will be quite a few in my situation, so thank you Sheffield Council for one of the most manipulative campaigns/scams ever.

Edited by SheffTF

7 hours ago, overtheborder said:

I was inclined to agree with this but I'd argue you could say the same for Manchester, and they seem to have nailed it to be fair.

Manchester has used lots of old Beeching railways closures to build it into surrounding areas. (much like London railways did from the mid1800s to 1900s, though now land isn't as easy to build on obviously because there isn't as much now!)

It's not a good analogy for me. Leeds I think if built a system would be much like Sheffield's. Crap.

Manchester looks like a good and successful scheme IMO, however, not necessarily easily copied.

It depends what councils did with old railway lines.

12 hours ago, ads36 said:

If a typical day is 100 miles, you can definitely do that in an electric car. Even in hilly Sheffield.

So what about my example in post 39? This job (though EXTREMELY unusual) was half of my earnings last week. And I would have to have abandon it, as it eventually was too far for range.

Also, I'm still looking for your link to an £800/month tesla that can be leased and plated as a taxi. If you can find it, I'm changing trades into a supplier, and I'll do all the legal and practical  stuff, and charge £850/month, and I will have at least 1000 takers! Come on, help me out here!!

4 hours ago, deam1967 said:

I think in general drivers will put up with it. Look at London Uber. You already have drivers in their forum saying, well a few years ago you could make good money, but now everyone doing it, and can't make anything.

It'll just alter the figures more and stats rather than kill it (IMO). So if loads give up, the others will earn more, and keep going, so more will join or come back,, and the circle continues.

I've not made anywhere near minimum wage in the last 3 years, but then I took a year out to do normal job on NMW, and found that the hours were so bad, I came back. Loads will be like me. I'd rather work my own hours and earn less than NMW.

The days of 8am-6pm Mon - Fri like I started doing 19 years ago, and earned pretty good money (in fact more than now, even before adjusting for inflation!!) are long gone.  People don't want to pay for things, as always has been the case, and why Britain industry died.

4 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

:hihi: believe me you should see the taxi forum, there are hundreds of example pictures for alternative!

1 hour ago, SheffTF said:

Having been in the taxi trade for almost 4 decades and (if it was a good paying job I might be doing something else by now) was looking to continue working for another ten years,  not now.  What are the chances of a 61 year old getting a £50k loan and further being able to pay it off at the earning of today? There will be quite a few in my situation, so thank you Sheffield Council for one of the most manipulative campaigns/scams ever.

I feel for you old man :)

You will have to do the same as rest of us. Change hours to make sure you don't pay as many days, and take a hit.

Edited by *_ash_*
forgot to annswer overtheborder

14 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

You will have to do the same as rest of us. Change hours to make sure you don't pay as many days, and take a hit.

14 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

lol thanks for the advice, but these old bones have taken all the hits it was possible to take, time to put the old hoss to pasture methinks 😊 

old dog, new tricks etc etc

Edited by SheffTF

31 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

So what about my example in post 39? This job (though EXTREMELY unusual) was half of my earnings last week. And I would have to have abandon it, as it eventually was too far for range

200 miles on one charge?

Yes.

Even if you did run low, you'd have to stop, for about an hour, maybe less, to recharge.

200 miles is what, 4 hours? You'll be stopping for a coffee and a toilet break anyway - may as well plug the car in.

5 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

I've seen these in London. 

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

So what about my example in post 39? This job (though EXTREMELY unusual) was half of my earnings last week. And I would have to have abandon it, as it eventually was too far for range.

23 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

I got a job in Sheffield last friday, it was from Sheffield>Grimsby>West Ham>Wembley, then home. I did it all on one as well and was well over 400 miles. 

39 minutes ago, ads36 said:

200 miles on one charge?

Yes.

400 miles.

At least have the decency to bother reading what they've posted before piping up.

Edited by geared

49 minutes ago, ads36 said:

200 miles on one charge?

Yes.

Even if you did run low, you'd have to stop, for about an hour, maybe less, to recharge.

200 miles is what, 4 hours? You'll be stopping for a coffee and a toilet break anyway - may as well plug the car in.

I actually did about 440 miles. When I took the job it was Sheffield to Doncaster, approx 20-30 miles, easy in an electric maybe, as was close to beginning of my shift.

It turned out not to be 20-30 miles it turned into way over 400, lots of it with air con on at her - via her translator app (and my wish) and much of it was in traffic especially when I got close to the end of the M11 and into London on a Friday busy evening. It was ****ing chaos! (side-note - how anyone lives or drives in that place is beyond me).

She was even umming when I stopped for essential diesel before I joined the A1 at Grantham. It only took me about 3 mins to fill up, and I bought her (and me) a bottle of cold water! :hihi:

Your example doesn't replicate anything in what I wrote.

Show me the £800 Tesla with taxi plate per month please.

31 minutes ago, geared said:

400 miles.

At least have the decency to bother reading what they've posted before piping up.

haha! didn't see your post. Shame, I could quoted 'like' and saved myself 10 minutes typing.